Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

MY child was reading Harry Potter at two years old.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided to try out the Magic tree house series for history for my 8yo ds. I showed it to him and he seemed interested so I'm going to run with it,lol. Finding interesting ways to teach him is a challenge to say the least. So I went on a few message boards to see what other homeschooling moms had to say and I was floored!

I don't know if my son is exceptionally dumb or everyone else has geniuses. But so many of these women are saying, "My 5 year old reads a Magic Tree House book a day just for fun." "My 4 year old reads two books a day!" "My daughter has been reading Harry potter since she was 2." And I'm like, my 8 year old is just getting comfortable with Cat in the Hat...

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I call bs. My dd (7) is just starting to read books like the magic treehouse. She still would rather the simpler ones because she can finish them in a decent amount of time.
MamaDearie
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Every child progresses at their own speed. Don't let the bragging and exaggerating of other parents get to you. Your son will do what he is ready to do when he is ready to do it. And- as someone else said before- there is a world of difference between reading and comprehension. 

Kudos to you for finding ways to engage and inspire your son to love reading. Magic Tree House can be great, and not just for history. I used to branch it out to science too. :-) My son did read them earlier (he was just an early reader naturally but he did struggle with fine motor stuff for quite some time) but he loved them all the way up until just this past year (he's almost 10 now). In fact, he still has some he won't pass down to his sisters- lol.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM
I was a good reader, don't remember not knowing how to. I read on a 7th grade level in 1st grade, but I sucked at math.
ambcortez
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM

A lot of it is bluff. My SIL is like that, even though I know for a fact half the crap she claims is far from true. She's an extreme one-upper, though, which plays a serious role in her lies.

She says, "When did L start potty training?"
I'll say "About 2 years."
She says, "Oh, well A was potty training at 1 year".

Funny, cuz last I checked, your A is 3 and still in diapers...

Sorry, little rant. But anyway, I think a lot of moms fib to make themselves feel better. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know what you're talking about.  My child read Harry Potter at 9mos.  2 is so very late.  ;)

Every kid progresses at their own rate, and those who read early may indeed be comprehending it.  Just because they're reading large things quickly and at an early age, doesn't mean their comprehension is suffering.  But just because your child is going at a different pace doesn't mean anything negative.  And my one who read HP at 9mos (hahahahaaaaaaa, not really), he still reads The Cat in the Hat.  And don't think he's not shoving the younger ones out of the way when I'm the one doing the read aloud!

Molimomma
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I've noticed this happens a lot when I read homeschooling posts(more so on Facebook than here but same idea). Not sure why people do this so much, it's really unnessary. Don't worry about it, you're kiddo is completely fine and on track. I don't understand why people feel the need to exaggerate what their child can do but I would take it all with a grain of salt.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's one of the perks to being the youngest,lol. My 7yo seems to do things alot faster than her brother and sister. Something about having a big brother or sister to emulate.

Quoting Precious333: I think thats normal. Thats about the level i was on at that age, my 7 year old is readong mth with me, and my 5 year old reads hop on hop with me (he will read words like ,hop, pop and that's it). My three year old I think is picking up reading really really fast! He knows the letters and sounds, without me even.encouraging it....all on his own! I bet he will start reading by next year!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Lmao! 

Quoting TidewaterClan: Lol, I was working when my youngest (8) was born. My best buddy & another lady each had children around the same time.

Every time my buddy & I would say something like "my child rolled over for the first time!" the other lady would say hers was walking. Ours walked, hers danced.
We both figure by now her child is in college while ours are tackling 3rd grade!

Magic Tree House & Dr. Suess sound great btw.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

You know, you're right. I was telling my neigbor about this and he said it's very possible if parents use, Your baby can read. Net time it comes up I'll let him know reading and comprehending are not the same.

Quoting tansyflower:

reading and comprehension are two different things.  thats all i got to say about that O.o

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Sometimes those chicks are just full of it. 

Is it possible...yes. Is it likely...no.

That kind of genius is rare...if it was common we would be living on Pluto by now. 

Right? LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)