Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

MY child was reading Harry Potter at two years old.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided to try out the Magic tree house series for history for my 8yo ds. I showed it to him and he seemed interested so I'm going to run with it,lol. Finding interesting ways to teach him is a challenge to say the least. So I went on a few message boards to see what other homeschooling moms had to say and I was floored!

I don't know if my son is exceptionally dumb or everyone else has geniuses. But so many of these women are saying, "My 5 year old reads a Magic Tree House book a day just for fun." "My 4 year old reads two books a day!" "My daughter has been reading Harry potter since she was 2." And I'm like, my 8 year old is just getting comfortable with Cat in the Hat...

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Oh no. There are quite a few parts that I wouldn not want my 7 year old reading either.

Quoting debramommyof4: Oh and I forgot that even though my 7 year old could comprehend Harry Potter I still do not think she is old enough.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ballerina.2006
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My 7yo is just starti g to read on her own. She just didn't "get it" until now. I don't push her though. I want her to love learning so I refuse to butt heads.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Oh yes, my kids have reading grown up books since they were toddlers. And lmao! Adult books...

Quoting Bluecalm: If she meant " flipped through the pages and scribbled on some of them" then yes, my 3 year old reads grown up books lol. I was going to say adult books, but it didn't sound right haha.

Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol yep. Its interesting though. My 5 year old is really struggling, but my 3 year old has no issues. My 5 year old is the very creative one :)

Quoting paganbaby:

I think that's one of the perks to being the youngest,lol. My 7yo seems to do things alot faster than her brother and sister. Something about having a big brother or sister to emulate.

Quoting Precious333: I think thats normal. Thats about the level i was on at that age, my 7 year old is readong mth with me, and my 5 year old reads hop on hop with me (he will read words like ,hop, pop and that's it). My three year old I think is picking up reading really really fast! He knows the letters and sounds, without me even.encouraging it....all on his own! I bet he will start reading by next year!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

This made me feel better. Thanks :-)

Quoting katyq: Yea, internet moms exaggerate like crazy. Don't let it get to you. There are a million developmental milestones in early child hood and each child meets them at his or her own pace. Usually, when a child is exceptional in one area they are typical in every other area. If a child is extraordinary in one area, they tend to fall behind in another. Was Einstein a literary genius? The moms who claim their child walked at 6 months and was fluent in baby sign language at 9 months and is singing the abcs in order at 12 months....sorry ladies, that is a rare thing indeed and in my personal experience, moms of truly gifted children learn to be quite humble and down to earth about it. I call b.s. on brag-moms.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

It really helps moms like me to see that other homeschoolers are human and their kids aren't perfect either. Thanks.

Quoting debramommyof4: This is very true. While my oldest is great at math and reading she can not write or make friends to save her life.

My 6 year old can read above grade level but her compression is not that high and math is hard for her.

And online is the only place I can be honest. But I let other people to know their limitations.

Quoting katyq: Yea, internet moms exaggerate like crazy. Don't let it get to you. There are a million developmental milestones in early child hood and each child meets them at his or her own pace. Usually, when a child is exceptional in one area they are typical in every other area. If a child is extraordinary in one area, they tend to fall behind in another. Was Einstein a literary genius? The moms who claim their child walked at 6 months and was fluent in baby sign language at 9 months and is singing the abcs in order at 12 months....sorry ladies, that is a rare thing indeed and in my personal experience, moms of truly gifted children learn to be quite humble and down to earth about it. I call b.s. on brag-moms.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM
It is that way with lots of the newer 4th to 6th grade books and makes it hard if your child is advanced. I think parents who brag constantly do not think about what they are saying.

While I am pretty sure some of them do think about what their kids are reading they assume their child is ready based on ability and not every other factor. My husband does that and it drives me nuts.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh no. There are quite a few parts that I wouldn not want my 7 year old reading either.

Quoting debramommyof4: Oh and I forgot that even though my 7 year old could comprehend Harry Potter I still do not think she is old enough.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Sigh...I try. One thing I really like, is when I do read, he interrupts constantly to talk about what's happening, asking questions and making perdictions. It was a little irriating at first but then I realised we was abosorbing and understanding it so much more than he used to.

Science too? That's one of his favorite subjects. I read him science books for bedtime stories,lol. Oh and I saw that they have a fast tracker. I was thinking if he's really interested in a certain book we can get the compainion and maybe check out other books at the library too. I'm getting really excited about this now LOL

Quoting MamaDearie:

Every child progresses at their own speed. Don't let the bragging and exaggerating of other parents get to you. Your son will do what he is ready to do when he is ready to do it. And- as someone else said before- there is a world of difference between reading and comprehension. 

Kudos to you for finding ways to engage and inspire your son to love reading. Magic Tree House can be great, and not just for history. I used to branch it out to science too. :-) My son did read them earlier (he was just an early reader naturally but he did struggle with fine motor stuff for quite some time) but he loved them all the way up until just this past year (he's almost 10 now). In fact, he still has some he won't pass down to his sisters- lol.

tansyflower
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM
3 moms liked this

my sister is a teacher and it drives her CRAZY when people say "well my child is 4 grade levels ahead" because 9 times out of ten yes, they can read a long book, but they dont remember any of the fine details of comprehend what is happening chapter to chapter.  right now she is working with a group of second graders that are 2 grade levels ahead but have the comprehension level of kindergartners.  memorizing words and reading them is totally different than understanding what they mean and how they relate to one another.  and that is what the end result of what reading should be.  you should be able to read something and understand what it means and be able to put it into context.

Quoting paganbaby:

You know, you're right. I was telling my neigbor about this and he said it's very possible if parents use, Your baby can read. Net time it comes up I'll let him know reading and comprehending are not the same.

Quoting tansyflower:

reading and comprehension are two different things.  thats all i got to say about that O.o

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

7th grade level? That's amazing! And I still suck at math,lol.

Quoting Bluecalm: I was a good reader, don't remember not knowing how to. I read on a 7th grade level in 1st grade, but I sucked at math.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)