Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

MY child was reading Harry Potter at two years old.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided to try out the Magic tree house series for history for my 8yo ds. I showed it to him and he seemed interested so I'm going to run with it,lol. Finding interesting ways to teach him is a challenge to say the least. So I went on a few message boards to see what other homeschooling moms had to say and I was floored!

I don't know if my son is exceptionally dumb or everyone else has geniuses. But so many of these women are saying, "My 5 year old reads a Magic Tree House book a day just for fun." "My 4 year old reads two books a day!" "My daughter has been reading Harry potter since she was 2." And I'm like, my 8 year old is just getting comfortable with Cat in the Hat...

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

*Snort* I think we have the same Sil,lol.

Quoting ambcortez:

A lot of it is bluff. My SIL is like that, even though I know for a fact half the crap she claims is far from true. She's an extreme one-upper, though, which plays a serious role in her lies.

She says, "When did L start potty training?"
I'll say "About 2 years."
She says, "Oh, well A was potty training at 1 year".

Funny, cuz last I checked, your A is 3 and still in diapers...

Sorry, little rant. But anyway, I think a lot of moms fib to make themselves feel better. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Quoting paganbaby:

7th grade level? That's amazing! And I still suck at math,lol.

Quoting Bluecalm: I was a good reader, don't remember not knowing how to. I read on a 7th grade level in 1st grade, but I sucked at math.

I think it's because I had much older siblings and I wanted to be like them so I read their books.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

laughing

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't know what you're talking about.  My child read Harry Potter at 9mos.  2 is so very late.  ;)

Every kid progresses at their own rate, and those who read early may indeed be comprehending it.  Just because they're reading large things quickly and at an early age, doesn't mean their comprehension is suffering.  But just because your child is going at a different pace doesn't mean anything negative.  And my one who read HP at 9mos (hahahahaaaaaaa, not really), he still reads The Cat in the Hat.  And don't think he's not shoving the younger ones out of the way when I'm the one doing the read aloud!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe them when they say that stuff on line!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I don't hear it so much irl, maybe because I don't know many homeschoolers. But online... It's like because we homeschool we have the pressure to prove ourselves. Our children have to be so much better than public schoolers but that's not the case. Yes my son is doing better than he did in PS but that's only comparing him to himself, not another child. It reminds me of the whole BF vs FF debate. Ugh.

Quoting Molimomma:

I've noticed this happens a lot when I read homeschooling posts(more so on Facebook than here but same idea). Not sure why people do this so much, it's really unnessary. Don't worry about it, you're kiddo is completely fine and on track. I don't understand why people feel the need to exaggerate what their child can do but I would take it all with a grain of salt.

awesomemommy2
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

My 5 year old can barely read her name.   

My 7 year old could read the Iliad.

I wouldnt worry about it at this stage

MamaDearie
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah the companion books are great if it's a subject he's really into. You can get a whole lot of mileage out of one set of Magic Tree House books! :-)
Quoting paganbaby:

Sigh...I try. One thing I really like, is when I do read, he interrupts constantly to talk about what's happening, asking questions and making perdictions. It was a little irriating at first but then I realised we was abosorbing and understanding it so much more than he used to.

Science too? That's one of his favorite subjects. I read him science books for bedtime stories,lol. Oh and I saw that they have a fast tracker. I was thinking if he's really interested in a certain book we can get the compainion and maybe check out other books at the library too. I'm getting really excited about this now LOL

Quoting MamaDearie:

Every child progresses at their own speed. Don't let the bragging and exaggerating of other parents get to you. Your son will do what he is ready to do when he is ready to do it. And- as someone else said before- there is a world of difference between reading and comprehension. 

Kudos to you for finding ways to engage and inspire your son to love reading. Magic Tree House can be great, and not just for history. I used to branch it out to science too. :-) My son did read them earlier (he was just an early reader naturally but he did struggle with fine motor stuff for quite some time) but he loved them all the way up until just this past year (he's almost 10 now). In fact, he still has some he won't pass down to his sisters- lol.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

That's true! I was about 11 or 12 whe I read the book, The Burning Bed. It's a very adult book about a abused woman who kills her husband. It had rape and animal torture in it. I don't knwo why my other let me read these books. She figured if I could comprehend them, I could read them. Yeah...

Quoting debramommyof4: It is that way with lots of the newer 4th to 6th grade books and makes it hard if your child is advanced. I think parents who brag constantly do not think about what they are saying.

While I am pretty sure some of them do think about what their kids are reading they assume their child is ready based on ability and not every other factor. My husband does that and it drives me nuts.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh no. There are quite a few parts that I wouldn not want my 7 year old reading either.

Quoting debramommyof4: Oh and I forgot that even though my 7 year old could comprehend Harry Potter I still do not think she is old enough.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Exactly.

Quoting tansyflower:

my sister is a teacher and it drives her CRAZY when people say "well my child is 4 grade levels ahead" because 9 times out of ten yes, they can read a long book, but they dont remember any of the fine details of comprehend what is happening chapter to chapter.  right now she is working with a group of second graders that are 2 grade levels ahead but have the comprehension level of kindergartners.  memorizing words and reading them is totally different than understanding what they mean and how they relate to one another.  and that is what the end result of what reading should be.  you should be able to read something and understand what it means and be able to put it into context.

Quoting paganbaby:

You know, you're right. I was telling my neigbor about this and he said it's very possible if parents use, Your baby can read. Net time it comes up I'll let him know reading and comprehending are not the same.

Quoting tansyflower:

reading and comprehension are two different things.  thats all i got to say about that O.o

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quoting Bluecalm:
Quoting paganbaby:

7th grade level? That's amazing! And I still suck at math,lol.

Quoting Bluecalm: I was a good reader, don't remember not knowing how to. I read on a 7th grade level in 1st grade, but I sucked at math.

I think it's because I had much older siblings and I wanted to be like them so I read their books.

Ah. Same with me but I was a bit older. I started reading my moms books when I was about 9.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)