Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's Your Child's Primary Learning Style? Working on Infographic - Help Needed!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am trying to put together an infographic on children's learning styles.  Do you know your child's best way to learn?  It really helps with chosing the best teaching method!

Primary ways:

Visual

Auditory

Kinesthic (Tactile)

Cast your vote!

If you need more info, check out this link for descriptions:  http://homeschoolinghelp.com/homeschool-knowhow-identify-childs-learning-style-today/

You can also do this free analysis here: http://www.homeschoolacademy.com/assessment/

Janice E

http://www.homeschoolinghelp.com/

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My kids are a combination of all of the above. Just like me. But, it also can depend on the day and the subject which style takes tw lead.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest is predominantly tactile.  My middle is mostly visual.  And my oldest is mostly auditory (nearly eidetic, hears it once and remembers it forever.)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM
My oldest is like your oldest. Much more so than any one else besides her dad.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My youngest is predominantly tactile.  My middle is mostly visual.  And my oldest is mostly auditory (nearly eidetic, hears it once and remembers it forever.)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

When I tested my kids for their learning style I was really surprised at how big of a percentage gap there was.  My oldest is seriously around 80% auditory.  And none of the others comes close.  It's awesome how they are each such different styles.

Quoting kirbymom: My oldest is like your oldest. Much more so than any one else besides her dad.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
You are so right!

[quote nam"bluerooffarm" id="0"]

When I tested my kids for their learning style I was really surprised at how big of a percentage gap there was.  My oldest is seriously around 80% auditory.  And none of the others comes close.  It's awesome how they are each such different styles.

Quoting kirbymom: My oldest is like your oldest. Much more so than any one else besides her dad.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I'm not sure, I know that they need a multifacetted approach.   They need to hear it, then they need to do it.   They are better in the group work stuff than they are the independent work.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I'm going to lean more towards Visual for my oldest. It really just depends on what she's doing. I can kick auditory to the curb all together though - in one ear, right out the other and never stopped to visit the brain... My little guy is more Kinesthic, but he's also 4...

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
All three. I remember reading that you can actually train yourself to be fairly equal.
celticdragon77
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

There are quite a number of people who do not believe in "learning styles". 

I watched a lengthy lecture awhile back on study habits and how the brain processes information. I use things I learned from that more so than anything else.

I also believe that the brain needs "exercised", so I would never think that because one area is a strength for me, that I should lean on it more so than all other areas. ESPECIALLY in a young brain!!! 

Asians, who are statistically better academically than Americans, believe that everyone is capable of learning and doing very well if they just put the time and effort into it. They are perplexed at us saying things like "I am left or right brained (such a myth) OR Well, I am just not good at math. I get that from my mom". 

JaniceEckenroth
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM

So I am seeing that most of your families have children with learning styles/strengths in varying areas, and you are adjusting your teaching styles to match their needs. It also seems some firmly believe that a child needs input in all areas to fully grasp and retain concepts.

So do you choose a curriculum based on learning preferences? Does it get crazy-time consuming trying to pick the appropriate curricula - or do you pick something and then adapt it to your child's needs?

For example, my mind is spinning trying to consider how you would sort through curricula for three different children of varying ages who learn in very different ways.  How in the world do you do it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)