Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's Your Child's Primary Learning Style? Working on Infographic - Help Needed!

I am trying to put together an infographic on children's learning styles.  Do you know your child's best way to learn?  It really helps with chosing the best teaching method!

Primary ways:

Visual

Auditory

Kinesthic (Tactile)

Cast your vote!

If you need more info, check out this link for descriptions:  http://homeschoolinghelp.com/homeschool-knowhow-identify-childs-learning-style-today/

You can also do this free analysis here: http://www.homeschoolacademy.com/assessment/

Janice E

http://www.homeschoolinghelp.com/

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Replies (11-16):
coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

My youngest is about 33% in all categories....she is very well rounded in her learning styles.

My oldest is primarily visual.  This has been a hinderance for her some aspects because she needs this more than anything else when learning something new.

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

We personally pick one that we like based on many things....then we adpat it to fit our kids.  Just our approach as parents.

Quoting JaniceEckenroth:

So I am seeing that most of your families have children with learning styles/strengths in varying areas, and you are adjusting your teaching styles to match their needs. It also seems some firmly believe that a child needs input in all areas to fully grasp and retain concepts.

So do you choose a curriculum based on learning preferences? Does it get crazy-time consuming trying to pick the appropriate curricula - or do you pick something and then adapt it to your child's needs?

For example, my mind is spinning trying to consider how you would sort through curricula for three different children of varying ages who learn in very different ways.  How in the world do you do it?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I use all the learning style in everything I teach. We watch DVD's, read books together, online computer programs, journals, and hands on projects. I also use teaching textbooks but also Life of Fred, Math Journals, and a book called exploring Mathematics. It is a book about the history of Math. I like to find a curriculum I like and pick what we want to do and then add things to it to make it more rounded. I also run a co-op and always teach all my classes from all the learning styles at once.
Quoting JaniceEckenroth:

So I am seeing that most of your families have children with learning styles/strengths in varying areas, and you are adjusting your teaching styles to match their needs. It also seems some firmly believe that a child needs input in all areas to fully grasp and retain concepts.

So do you choose a curriculum based on learning preferences? Does it get crazy-time consuming trying to pick the appropriate curricula - or do you pick something and then adapt it to your child's needs?

For example, my mind is spinning trying to consider how you would sort through curricula for three different children of varying ages who learn in very different ways.  How in the world do you do it?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Quoting JaniceEckenroth:

I create my own language arts curriculum, but for Math we use Math U See because it works very well for all three learning styles with a few tweaks.  For example I use their rods more for my tactile learner, the video more for my auditory learner, and then work along with my visual learner.  

We all do the science experiments together and then we record our findings in different ways.  My auditory learner prefers a simple list of data points and to talk about the findings, while my visual learner creates graphs instead of tables, and my tactile learner is young so he just does the experiment for now.

With history I like to have a good assortment of everything.  Pictures, stories, making clay or block depictions.  I just aim to use all three of the learning styles with each unit.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It is possible to add elements to any curriculum.

If a child prefers doing hands on activities to learn, than you would find/create/google for math games, activities, manipulatives, interactive math journals, real life applications... Have them write about real life experiences and allow them to go outside to read, have them read adventurous stories (or whatever grabs their attention)... science is loaded with hands on activities, experiments, real life applications and investigations... History you could add in some projects for each unit of study.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you cater 100% towards a learning preference. Some skills and tasks are just necessary to life.

When it comes to math, I try to think more about how they will need to use that skill in the future. You can't be doing lattice math problems or counting on fingers, or getting cubes out (when you are older). You will need to memorize and do mental math for basic math. So I might start out with a visual and hands on method to teach the principals of what we are learning. However, I then have a lot of practice of memorization and mental skills. I use Singapore and Math Mammoth for this right now. The kids create interactive math journals because they did that in public school and loved them so much. I am always searching for creative ideas online. I have been having the kids do a lot of engineering projects lately.

With History, I use the classical method because it seems better in SO many ways. I love that world history is the main focus and gone through three times in stages that suit the childs ages. 

For science we do a lot of reading, worksheets, videos, and hands on... this a subject where I think everything needs to be thrown in the pot to get it accomplished and retained. 

English... I use lots of materials for this because it is not something I really am strong in or enjoy. I do try to incorporate it in all other subjects though. To me, it is the heart of everything else. 

Quoting JaniceEckenroth:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I have one who is visual and another who is kinesthetic. Wish they were the same. I'm an auditory type learner, so can't even balance it there..lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)