Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anybody Doing a Mid-Year Switch?

Looking for advice on doing a mid year curriculum switch --

Have you done it?  How did it go? Was it costly?  What was the deciding factor for you? And how did you figure out what to switch to once you decided it wasn't working for you? 

Thank You!

Janice E

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Replies (11-14):
debuckmom
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

We were doing LIFEPAC, which is pretty expensive even on sale. However, it was boring for me and the kids. All of our eyes were glazing over - even my 6 yo who loves to learn! A few weeks ago, I was going through old notes when I was deciding which direction to take & found Easy Peasy All-in-one Homeschool. I decided to do a two week trial run with it, and the kids FOUGHT over who got to do lesson work first. We devised a system to end those battles.

The struggle for me isn't the expense of Easy Peasy (free!), but the $ we already invested in the other (guilt at the wasted $, maybe). That, and Easy Peasy doesn't operate on the same curriculum schedule - so, I'm having to do some evaluations and experiments to see how/where to place the children and get cranking. It's taking a little bit of time, but I think we're getting it worked out & it is worth it! The kids are enjoying our school time again... and so am I.

Just take your time, don't stress over it, and keep going. I was raised in the public school system, and it is hard for me to let go of concepts like "school year" and "grade level." Doing so though, is very freeing. We are always learning - all year. And grade levels don't really apply when you are screaming good at somethings and stink at others - ex. Kinder reading and 1st/2nd grade math for my 7 yo. It all works out in the end.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

We had the same experience with LIFEPAC, although, I kept the unused stuff, and later found it to be useful during down times... like if I was laid up with the flu, if the kids were busy with a big project and just needed some easy to pick up work to do on the side, etc.   They are good to put in a busy box for the kids for when I'm busy with another child, they can "at their own pace" work on some of the life pac stuff.

However, we only had one or two subjects, not an entire curriculum of lifepac.

Quoting debuckmom:

We were doing LIFEPAC, which is pretty expensive even on sale. However, it was boring for me and the kids. All of our eyes were glazing over - even my 6 yo who loves to learn! A few weeks ago, I was going through old notes when I was deciding which direction to take & found Easy Peasy All-in-one Homeschool. I decided to do a two week trial run with it, and the kids FOUGHT over who got to do lesson work first. We devised a system to end those battles.

The struggle for me isn't the expense of Easy Peasy (free!), but the $ we already invested in the other (guilt at the wasted $, maybe). That, and Easy Peasy doesn't operate on the same curriculum schedule - so, I'm having to do some evaluations and experiments to see how/where to place the children and get cranking. It's taking a little bit of time, but I think we're getting it worked out & it is worth it! The kids are enjoying our school time again... and so am I.

Just take your time, don't stress over it, and keep going. I was raised in the public school system, and it is hard for me to let go of concepts like "school year" and "grade level." Doing so though, is very freeing. We are always learning - all year. And grade levels don't really apply when you are screaming good at somethings and stink at others - ex. Kinder reading and 1st/2nd grade math for my 7 yo. It all works out in the end.

chlippr77
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

This year we happen to have a bit of money come in right as we were finishing up our semester, so I had the option to change around curriculum for what wasn't working.  I don't know how it will work, but we're switching writing curriculum for one daughter and reading for another.

energygirl
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

we are adding "a reason for handwriting" because I think my son needs some assistance, and handwriting without tears is not really working out for us....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN