Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sight words

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
How do you work on sight words? My DS is 5 and in TK, the teacher just isn't teaching enough in my opinion. She is STILL reviewing preschool stuff! And plans to keep on doing this for months. I've talked to her about it and she says that they are doing what the TK guidelines say. However, my friends DS is also 5 and in TK (another school) and is already reading because of sight words.

My DS is very interested in reading and asked me to teach him. So how do you go about teaching sight words?
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
We had them written down as flash cards and worked on them. Our library also has A, B, C,+ level readers. The A books have a word or two on each page. Children look at the picture and link that with the word to 'read.' Those are great if your library has them. The little hardback books for babies can also be used if they don't.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Well, you can use flashcards, but usually I just read to my kids, making sure that I pointed to the words as I said them.  Then we moved on to me reading the line and the child finishing the line as I pointed to the words.  Eventually, they just pick it up.  Use more advanced stories for the reading.  Save the "easy" books for them to read to you later on.  And, although you didn't ask, if you are wanting to teach phonics, I really like Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons.  You don't even need to do the whole book, but it works on both sight words and phonics at the same time and usually they are reading around second grade level when they finish. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Make a list... play games and memorize 3-5 of them each week... add them to a flip chart as they are mostly learned.

You can get lists online if you search for them, or pick up a sight words work book at a teacher supply store.

This is actually one of the easy ones for us.   With everything else being such a challenge for her, she's doing great with sight words.   She loves to unscramble them.   I give her a list of about 8-10 words and then another worksheet with the words scrambled up and she has to unscramble each word. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Once the child knows their phonics, and can read phonetic words well, it is time to get more serious about sight words.  But if they are still not proficient at sounding words out, I simply say, "that is a sight word, and they cannot be sounded out like the rest of the words.  Then I simply  tell her what the word says.  .

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Don't stress them. They will come with practice. I had a book filled with sight words and phonic words. Every time they had trouble we would write the word down. The next day we would go over it and if they could read the word then they put a sticker next to it. Just play games and keep reading to her. I have two boys that I taught to read. One started reading in 1st grade and the other didn't start till 4th grade. I mostly concentrated on phonics and let them learn sight words naturally over time. I also loved using Looney tunes phonics program which is an online program. I never used flash cards.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I really didn't start working with Sight Words for my son till about halfway through kindergarten.  Phonics usually comes first.

We work with our sight words by making sentences out of sight word cards, drawing a picture to go with the sentence, then writing the sentence under the picture.  It can make a little book for the child to read to himself afterward too.

debuckmom
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

We've used Explode the Code, and Bob Books. Both are excellent - it's just what works with one doesn't work with the other. The kids are each so different! Recently, we started with Easy Peasy All in one Homeschool. Their Getting Ready primers are going over very well with my oldest (7) who is still struggling with reading. We also use flash cards, and lots and lots of pracitce. Lastly, to help get my kids interested in reading - I've started reading the Harry Potter series to them little by little. We are on book 2 now. Is this the best choice to read to children? Maybe not, but it is what they are interested in (lego Harry Potter games, not the movies, are to blame! lol), and if it works, it works! 

Hang in there, and keep trying. he'll get there.

TexanMomOf6
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I have one that is 3, the rest are grown. All have started reading at different ages. Anywhere from 3 to 7 years old.

I turn on the closed captions on dvds. Ds likes the Leap Frog dvds. Only the older ones though. New ones have a different producer.

He has the magnetic Leap Frog letters and readers. He makes a few words on his own.

We have Rock n Learn sight words and phonics and Word World. He asks to watch them!

We read a lot. Sometimes the same book over and over.

I wrote the sight words from level 1 of the Rock n Learn dvd on index cards. They are a combination of Dolch and Fry's word lists. They are all in a pocket chart on the wall. He is free to use them as he wishes.

I don't try to get him to write much yet. He doesn't like to draw or color.

I also have always told my kids that being able to read is really cool, like a secret code. If there was anything they wanted to know they didn't have to ask someone and wait for them to read it. They could find a book on it and read it any time. If they couldn't find a book about it THEY could write the book themselves!!! Yes, It really did work with my kids because my schedule didn't always match the times they wanted to know something.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Preschool prep dvds, lake shore learning reading games, read along books with CDs, put the subtitles on the TV while they're watching.  Shows like Super Why and LOT and LOTS of reading. I can read books, etc.  There are also lots of great apps out there.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:12 AM

This is new to me, what is TK? Are you homeschooling?

I can understand how in comparing your child to another that is being schooled differently how it can seem like your's isn't up to what others are. With both my kids, we work more with phonics than just sight words. They do pick up on some commonly used words just from me reading a lot with them and at that age I would even point out a few words a week while we're reading and have them read that word.

Since we mostly work on phonics my kids would be behind most other kids in school at that age. However, around 1st or second grade once it all starts to click in their head they will immediatly jump a grade level or 2 in reading because now they can read so many more words just because they can sound them out. It doesn't have to be a word that they had to write 10 times or have it on a flash card or have a spelling test on.

With that being said, if you honestly don't feel like your DS isn't getting the education he needs, take his education into your own hands and work with him. You don't have to follow only what the teacher is doing. Get Hooked on Phonics, pay for ABC Mouse, get some work books that teach phonics. If you would rather him just learn sight words, then get some flash cards, read to him a lot and start pointing out words to him and then have him read those words when you come to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)