Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How do you work on sight words? My DS is 5 and in TK, the teacher just isn't teaching enough in my opinion. She is STILL reviewing preschool stuff! And plans to keep on doing this for months. I've talked to her about it and she says that they are doing what the TK guidelines say. However, my friends DS is also 5 and in TK (another school) and is already reading because of sight words.

My DS is very interested in reading and asked me to teach him. So how do you go about teaching sight words?
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Replies (11-12):
Connorsmommy13
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I made my own Flash cards and read every day.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I tried homeschooling but couldn't do it. I just don't have the temperament for it. So, I stay in the group to get ideas on how to supplement his education at home but he goes to private school (the public here suck).

TK is transitional Kindergarten. It's for kids who turn 5 after the cut off date, but are too advanced for PreK.

Quoting Bleacher-mom:

This is new to me, what is TK? Are you homeschooling?

I can understand how in comparing your child to another that is being schooled differently how it can seem like your's isn't up to what others are. With both my kids, we work more with phonics than just sight words. They do pick up on some commonly used words just from me reading a lot with them and at that age I would even point out a few words a week while we're reading and have them read that word.

Since we mostly work on phonics my kids would be behind most other kids in school at that age. However, around 1st or second grade once it all starts to click in their head they will immediatly jump a grade level or 2 in reading because now they can read so many more words just because they can sound them out. It doesn't have to be a word that they had to write 10 times or have it on a flash card or have a spelling test on.

With that being said, if you honestly don't feel like your DS isn't getting the education he needs, take his education into your own hands and work with him. You don't have to follow only what the teacher is doing. Get Hooked on Phonics, pay for ABC Mouse, get some work books that teach phonics. If you would rather him just learn sight words, then get some flash cards, read to him a lot and start pointing out words to him and then have him read those words when you come to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN