Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: Hiding gift purchases from Dh

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have to buy Dh's gifts and they are online. We only have one bank account and debit card. The site only has for cards it doesn't have paypal or anything. I'm not sure what to do, if I use the card he'll see it in our account. How do you ladies handle keeping your Dh's gifts a surprise?
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I have my own card that he can't see the charges, so I don't have to worry about it.  Can you buy a pre-paid visa from your bank?  I don't know how those work with fees and such, but that's what I get as a reward from my card, and they work just like a regular credit card, you just have to make sure you don't spend more than what's on there.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I have given my parents the cash and then have them order it for me.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Sadly we don't try to be sneaky any more about gifts. When we used to I didn't worry to much because I pay all the bills & balance the check book. So he was the one that had to worry about me seeing his purchases.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Ok,a friend came through for me and we used her card and I paid her back. Her mom also mentioned a prepaid Visa card, so I'm thinking I may do that in the future. My mom helped me buy his bday present but she was at my house when we did it. She doesn't have internet at hers and lives a little too far for me to drive over, otherwise I would have just done that. Thanks ladies for your help.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM
That used to be me. I had the finances and he didn't know what to do. Then we switched and now I'm having to figure it out.

Quoting usmom3:

Sadly we don't try to be sneaky any more about gifts. When we used to I didn't worry to much because I pay all the bills & balance the check book. So he was the one that had to worry about me seeing his purchases.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM
DH doesn't look at the bank account so it's not too hard for me...until the packages come! I'm afraid one will come today, I leave for work at 11 and he will be home! I hope he doesn't open it thinking its for the kids!

He usually shops in person for me, so he takes cash out of the bank and uses that.

I'm glad you figured it out! Now to hide it before he sees it, right ;)
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM
We both have something coming in and we both know at least that, so the hardest part is figuring whose it is. If I know it's his I'll send him to the kids room and go straight to wrap it. He'll do the same, he'll send me to the kids room lol. If our stuff wasn't online it would have been easy but neither of our stuff was.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: DH doesn't look at the bank account so it's not too hard for me...until the packages come! I'm afraid one will come today, I leave for work at 11 and he will be home! I hope he doesn't open it thinking its for the kids!

He usually shops in person for me, so he takes cash out of the bank and uses that.

I'm glad you figured it out! Now to hide it before he sees it, right ;)
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Mine just promises not to look. He knows I dont have many options, so he's just a good sport about it.
LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Thursday at 6:40 PM
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Buy one of those prepaid Visa cards using the debit card...then use the prepaid Visa to buy the stuff online.

I have my own credit cards and DH doesn't see the statements or anything so I'm free to buy as I wish.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

We don't really buy stuff that we order like that for one another.   When we buy for one another it's something small that just tells the other person we were thinking of them and "know them"...

For example, we always play cards when with DH's family and my DH enjoys this and he also really likes the people on Duck Dynasty.   I picked up some Duck Dynasty playing cards for a few dollars and some of his favorite candy.   I'm also going to find time around his birthday to make him a lasagna, his favorite meal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)