Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I give up! I'm swamped!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I give up on any type of schooling this month. LOL I'm just overloaded. How are you guys doing? I miss talking to everyone but I'm just too busy to keep up!

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Happy February to you!

Quoting hwblyf:

That's our February!  Minus the Christmas, but we throw in several birthdays to compensate.  :)

Quoting julesjerry:

No schooling this month. Christmas, wedding anniversary, daughter birthday everything same month same week.  Happy spending and busy week.

Molimomma
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Exactly. Mine has SPD. He helped me pick out several of his (Grandma bought the wrong thing so we exchanged it) so he talks about them daily. Plus he speculates on the "surprise presents" and checks on the presents or the ornaments constantly. That part I can deal with no problem but when he throws himself on the couch crying because "Santa is never gonna come." Or when we go over the "schedule of events" for the hundredth time because we have Christmas, then he & I are flying out to VA to visit Grammy on the 26th, then it's his birthday in January.....and on and on and on. I know he just needs the repetition for reassurance and to keep him comfortable with what is coming, etc. but it wears on me as the month continues. It also makes it difficult to get things situated because wrapping presents or getting organized for our trip just gets him all revved up about it all over again. I'd LOVE to take a drive and see everybody's Christmas lights but he would freak out about leaving the house in his PJs, mess up his sleep routine, and it would be such a disaster it takes the fun out of it. That makes me sad but I also know it might not always be like this and maybe not this year, but some year we will get to go. It is just frustrating sometimes not being able to do holiday stuff like everyone else without extra planning, talking, preparing, and dealing with the aftermath later as well. My son is only 4 so we are still new at learning what works, what doesn't and finding our way.

Quoting usmom3:

We are actually trying something new this year. Because he gets so over whelmed not just by the waiting but by all the stuff at one time, we are going to open 2 gifts a day for the whole week of Christmas to see if that makes it better for him to have only 2 new things to adjust to a day instead of a ton of them all at once! He also knows what most of his stuff is, other wise he will be upset over what he dose not get & over what he dose get.

I know he is not being a brat, he is Autistic & this is just part of all that! It dose not how ever make it any easier on me or the rest of our family!

Quoting Molimomma:

My son is the same way! I seriously told him that if he keeps this up next year there will not be a tree or present to be found because I'm sick of the drama and I cannot take 25 days of whining, crying, etc. I absolutely reached my breaking point a few days ago with the meltdowns, tears, and craziness about "Christmas is NEVER gonna come." And/or the discussion about the gifts under the tree. I told him if he kept it up I was mailing them all back where they came from.  Then on Saturday the firefighters were doing a toy drive outside our grocery store and I took him in to find a toy to donate and we talked about how the firefighters were trying to help the little girls and boys who wouldn't be getting presents because they cost money and some parents just can't afford to buy their kids presents and since then he's gotten better about the whining. He really struggles with waiting and this is being patient x1000 so it is enough to make both of us nutty!

Quoting usmom3:

IT is a stressful time of year for us even though we don't have company or go anywhere. My youngest just has a hard time with the changes that come with Christmas & that makes it hard on all the rest of us. It is to the point where sometimes I wish we didn't celebrate any holiday because it seams to just upset him more then it is worth!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I know! Mine is 8 & his older brother who has Autism as well is 20. Let me tell you it will change & some things will get better. My oldest still has meltdowns but now they look a lot like a sullen teenager instead of kicking screaming fits like my 8y/o still dose. Things are changing for my 8y/o too though he is starting to see how his meltdowns affect all of us & is doing better about trying to control them. He still has them but not as many or for as long as when he was small. It is physical, mentally & emotionally draining to have children that are special needs especially at this time of year when there is just so much going on.

It dose help to talk to other Mom's like you that get it because you live it everyday too!

Quoting Molimomma:

Exactly. Mine has SPD. He helped me pick out several of his (Grandma bought the wrong thing so we exchanged it) so he talks about them daily. Plus he speculates on the "surprise presents" and checks on the presents or the ornaments constantly. That part I can deal with no problem but when he throws himself on the couch crying because "Santa is never gonna come." Or when we go over the "schedule of events" for the hundredth time because we have Christmas, then he & I are flying out to VA to visit Grammy on the 26th, then it's his birthday in January.....and on and on and on. I know he just needs the repetition for reassurance and to keep him comfortable withwhat is coming, etc. but it wears on me as the month continues. It also makes it difficult to get things situated because wrapping presents or getting organized for our trip just gets him all revved up about it all over again. I'd LOVE to take a drive and see everybody's Christmas lights but he would freak out about leaving the house in his PJs, mess up his sleep routine, and it would be such a disaster it takes the fun out of it. That makes me sad but I also know it might not always be like this and maybe not this year, but some year we will get to go. It is just frustrating sometimes not being able to do holiday stuff like everyone else without extra planning, talking, preparing, and dealing withthe aftermath later as well. My son is only 4 so we are still new at learning what works, what doesn't and finding our way.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I'm busier than intended. We took today off, unplanned, to shop for DH and pick up things at SAMs club. I am trying to finish quite a few gifts, not sure if I will get everything I want to done in time! I ended up not working today because we got a storm (great thing about my job, if school or after school activities are canceled, so is my shift!). So we did grocery shopping and I worked on a sweater I am making for mil, what a hassle that is becoming now that it's time to stitch the pieces together :/. So DH had me stop, we made dinner and he gave me a "grown up drink." So I am relaxing now ;). And he just left to snow plow a friend. I'm guessing we won't get much schoolwork done this week but I will just turn everything into teachable moments...like me being a bit tipsy and still catching BOTH kids playing with their iPods after bedtime! None of this makes sense, but I've missed you ladies. I don't think I'll be on much in the next week or so while we try to finish everything!!
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM
You'll have to let us know how this goes. I have mentioned before that I am an ABA Therapist for kids with Autism and I would love to know how this works for your family as it could be an idea for some of the families I work with!

I have one family going to Florida for the week, a few days at Disney and a few at the beach just to escape the regular family Christmas stuff for their son. It's just too much for them to visit family and baby proof houses and the stress of all of it, so they turned it into a vacation instead :). I hope it works out for them, they definitely deserve the vacation with the every day stresses they have!

Quoting usmom3:

We are actually trying something new this year. Because he gets so over whelmed not just by the waiting but by all the stuff at one time, we are going to open 2 gifts a day for the whole week of Christmas to see if that makes it better for him to have only 2 new things to adjust to a day instead of a ton of them all at once! He also knows what most of his stuff is, other wise he will be upset over what he dose not get & over what he dose get.

I know he is not being a brat, he is Autistic & this is just part of all that! It dose not how ever make it any easier on me or the rest of our family!

Quoting Molimomma:

My son is the same way! I seriously told him that if he keeps this up next year there will not be a tree or present to be found because I'm sick of the drama and I cannot take 25 days of whining, crying, etc. I absolutely reached my breaking point a few days ago with the meltdowns, tears, and craziness about "Christmas is NEVER gonna come." And/or the discussion about the gifts under the tree. I told him if he kept it up I was mailing them all back where they came from.  Then on Saturday the firefighters were doing a toy drive outside our grocery store and I took him in to find a toy to donate and we talked about how the firefighters were trying to help the little girls and boys who wouldn't be getting presents because they cost money and some parents just can't afford to buy their kids presents and since then he's gotten better about the whining. He really struggles with waiting and this is being patient x1000 so it is enough to make both of us nutty!

Quoting usmom3:

IT is a stressful time of year for us even though we don't have company or go anywhere. My youngest just has a hard time with the changes that come with Christmas & that makes it hard on all the rest of us. It is to the point where sometimes I wish we didn't celebrate any holiday because it seams to just upset him more then it is worth!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I will! Hubby is taking the whole week of Christmas off so I hope that stretching it all out will help my youngest. I never had these problems with my oldest so this is learning through trial & error.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: You'll have to let us know how this goes. I have mentioned before that I am an ABA Therapist for kids with Autism and I would love to know how this works for your family as it could be an idea for some of the families I work with!

I have one family going to Florida for the week, a few days at Disney and a few at the beach just to escape the regular family Christmas stuff for their son. It's just too much for them to visit family and baby proof houses and the stress of all of it, so they turned it into a vacation instead :). I hope it works out for them, they definitely deserve the vacation with the every day stresses they have!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM
My opinion is it is all learning through trial and error...there are just sometimes more trials with kids with Autism! But I tell the parents, "it's worth a try" to almost every idea they (or I) have!

Quoting usmom3:

I will! Hubby is taking the whole week of Christmas off so I hope that stretching it all out will help my youngest. I never had these problems with my oldest so this is learning through trial & error.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: You'll have to let us know how this goes. I have mentioned before that I am an ABA Therapist for kids with Autism and I would love to know how this works for your family as it could be an idea for some of the families I work with!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with that! You just never know what will work with each one, but if you don't try you might miss out on the one thing that could have worked!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: My opinion is it is all learning through trial and error...there are just sometimes more trials with kids with Autism! But I tell the parents, "it's worth a try" to almost every idea they (or I) have!

Quoting usmom3:

Radiating2
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM
You two sound like amazing Mommas. Big kudos to you two for lovingly handling situations many of us will never know. Your children are lucky to have you. Sending big hugs to both of you

Quoting usmom3:

I know! Mine is 8 & his older brother who has Autism as well is 20. Let me tell you it will change & some things will get better. My oldest still has meltdowns but now they look a lot like a sullen teenager instead of kicking screaming fits like my 8y/o still dose. Things are changing for my 8y/o too though he is starting to see how his meltdowns affect all of us & is doing better about trying to control them. He still has them but not as many or for as long as when he was small. It is physical, mentally & emotionally draining to have children that are special needs especially at this time of year when there is just so much going on.

It dose help to talk to other Mom's like you that get it because you live it everyday too!

Quoting Molimomma:

Exactly. Mine has SPD. He helped me pick out several of his (Grandma bought the wrong thing so we exchanged it) so he talks about them daily. Plus he speculates on the "surprise presents" and checks on the presents or the ornaments constantly. That part I can deal with no problem but when he throws himself on the couch crying because "Santa is never gonna come." Or when we go over the "schedule of events" for the hundredth time because we have Christmas, then he & I are flying out to VA to visit Grammy on the 26th, then it's his birthday in January.....and on and on and on. I know he just needs the repetition for reassurance and to keep him comfortable withwhat is coming, etc. but it wears on me as the month continues. It also makes it difficult to get things situated because wrapping presents or getting organized for our trip just gets him all revved up about it all over again. I'd LOVE to take a drive and see everybody's Christmas lights but he would freak out about leaving the house in his PJs, mess up his sleep routine, and it would be such a disaster it takes the fun out of it. That makes me sad but I also know it might not always be like this and maybe not this year, but some year we will get to go. It is just frustrating sometimes not being able to do holiday stuff like everyone else without extra planning, talking, preparing, and dealing withthe aftermath later as well. My son is only 4 so we are still new at learning what works, what doesn't and finding our way.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Thank you so very much!

Quoting Radiating2: You two sound like amazing Mommas. Big kudos to you two for lovingly handling situations many of us will never know. Your children are lucky to have you. Sending big hugs to both of you

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Molimomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN