Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This is really worrisome. 8(

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 19 Replies

TO ALL OHIO HOME SCHOOLERS, PUBLIC SCHOOL AND CHARTER SCHOOL PARENTS.....Essentially, this concerns every family!!! Please take note, these are basic freedoms that every family has, so please read and make a call or send an email:

The issue with SB 248 is that it clearly revises a notification process for home educators in Ohio that has worked for nearly 25 years. The system failed the child and the system needs to be fixed, not innocent home schooling families. Charter school parents are in even more hot water because there are more restrictions. In attempting to protect children in abusive situations, this bill violates the freedom of innocent families. Clearly, there are better ways to handle these kinds of issues without violating the freedom of innocent families. For that purpose, the whole bill needs to be scraped. Home schoolers and charter school parents need to be left out of this. Again, the page we have up for State Senator Cafaro is here: http://www.ohioansforfreedom.com/OhioSBE/OhioSenate/OhioSenateDistrict32.aspx

Requiring public children service agencies to recommend whether a child should be home schooled or admitted to a computer or internet based community school is unacceptable. The bill needs to be withdrawn.

Senator Cafaro is receiving a large amount of calls from home schoolers but she needs to hear from charter school parents, as well. 614-466-7182

Ohioans for Educational Freedom > Ohio SBE > Ohio Senate > Ohio Senate District 32
www.ohioansforfreedom.com
32 State Senator since 2007 Counties: Ashtabula, Geauga (part), Trumbull Capri S. Cafaro has represented the 32nd Ohio Senate District since January 2007 when she was appointed to the 127th General Assembly.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for posting this Mem.  I'll email the homeschoolers I know about this too.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I'm actually one of those homeschoolers that don't mind the yearly testing/reporting but to come into our homes for no reason. I don't think so!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks for posting this Mem.  I'll email the homeschoolers I know about this too.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, I'm fine with the end of year report because we're working hard and I honestly feel like bragging about it to the superintendent (it would be sweet if I could cc: the old principal too).  

I fully agree with you on the house visit.  I was reading the bill, and even the wording is scary.  It sounds like the CPS person completely decides if our children can be taught at home or not.  I was looking to see if there was some statement in there that affects only parents with a previous CPS case (as stated in the wishes on Teddy's website) but that doesn't look to be the case.  So every single one of us would have to be interviewed.  I don't like that at all.

Quoting mem82:

I'm actually one of those homeschoolers that don't mind the yearly testing/reporting but to come into our homes for no reason. I don't think so!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Scary stuff.  Glad I'm in WI.

I think the govt will do whatever they can to put hsing in a bad light.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I really hope & pray that you are all able to get it stopped!

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Yeah...I couldn't homeschool because my ex was pissed he lost in court and called cps saying my child didn't have underware. (We had plenty of underwater and he hadn't even seen her in years).  So....Yeah. that part of the bill is ridiculous.

A lot of people have had cps called on them because of stupid stuff like that...

Someone did not think this through.

And since when does cps know anything about education.

That boy "teddy"... died unfortunately because the BOYFRIEND of the mom killed him. 

Not only that, the ps system already knew he was being abused. And if I'm not mistaken cps had been notified. 

WTF does homeschool have to do with any of this?

So if that kid was in ps....he wouldn't have gotten beaten that day?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep, I'm fine with the end of year report because we're working hard and I honestly feel like bragging about it to the superintendent (it would be sweet if I could cc: the old principal too).  

I fully agree with you on the house visit.  I was reading the bill, and even the wording is scary.  It sounds like the CPS person completely decides if our children can be taught at home or not.  I was looking to see if there was some statement in there that affects only parents with a previous CPS case (as stated in the wishes on Teddy's website) but that doesn't look to be the case.  So every single one of us would have to be interviewed.  I don't like that at all.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Call...cafaro & co sponsors...

Cafaro (614) 466-7182

Sen. Edna Brown:  (614) 466-5204

Sen. Nina Turner:  (614) 466-4583

Sen. Joe Schiavoni:  (614) 466-8285

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't even think ridiculous stuff like that would count as a cps report versus known abuse such as this boy - and no one did anything!!!!! That just amazes me. The father has a heart wrenching website now but where was he a year ago when it was KNOWN that the boyfriend was abusive? You couldn't keep me away from where my children were living if that was the case! I try not to judge people but that's really ticking me off.

Back on topic though - so if an ex, grandparent, aunt, or anyone else can call and that equals a report it'll be a darned witch hunt. It's akin to The Crucible and the Hollywood blacklist of the 40s & 50s. A lot of people (stand to get hurt just through lies & gossip

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Yeah...I couldn't homeschool because my ex was pissed he lost in court and called cps saying my child didn't have underware. (We had plenty of underwater and he hadn't even seen her in years).  So....Yeah. that part of the bill is ridiculous.

A lot of people have had cps called on them because of stupid stuff like that...

That boy "teddy"... died unfortunately because the BOYFRIEND of the mom killed him. 

Not only that, the ps system already knew he was being abused. And if I'm not mistaken cps had been notified. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

My heart goes out to them...but this will hurt more kids than it will help...

Kid gets bullied in school....nope no homeschool!

Special needs....nope denied!

Oh...You believe in evolution or creationism...no homeschool for you!

Haha! Religious rights and freedoms! What are those?

I'm having a bad day....F you! No homeschool for you!

Somebody tonight is wearing an a$$ hat in Ohio. 

Quoting TidewaterClan: I didn't even think ridiculous stuff like that would count as a cps report versus known abuse such as this boy - and no one did anything!!!!! That just amazes me. The father has a heart wrenching website now but where was he a year ago when it was KNOWN that the boyfriend was abusive? You couldn't keep me away from where my children were living if that was the case! I try not to judge people but that's really ticking me off.

Back on topic though - so if an ex, grandparent, aunt, or anyone else can call and that equals a report it'll be a darned witch hunt. It's akin to The Crucible and the Hollywood blacklist of the 40s & 50s. A lot of people (stand to get hurt just through lies & gossip

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Holy cow.  Those are scary thoughts, but exactly where this will end up.  Not to mention the people who are flat out against homeschool but have never bothered to meet any of us!  

I'm already sending this out to as many people as I can think of who hs or will care.  Good grief.  Like Romacox said, it's unconstitutional so shouldn't have even been a second thought!  I'm sure those senators are just seeing if anyone cries bull.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

My heart goes out to them...but this will hurt more kids than it will help...

Kid gets bullied in school....nope no homeschool!

Special needs....nope denied!

Oh...You believe in evolution or creationism...no homeschool for you!

Haha! Religious rights and freedoms! What are those?

I'm having a bad day....F you! No homeschool for you!

Somebody tonight is wearing an a$$ hat in Ohio. 

Quoting TidewaterClan: I didn't even think ridiculous stuff like that would count as a cps report versus known abuse such as this boy - and no one did anything!!!!! That just amazes me. The father has a heart wrenching website now but where was he a year ago when it was KNOWN that the boyfriend was abusive? You couldn't keep me away from where my children were living if that was the case! I try not to judge people but that's really ticking me off.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)