Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Bill that Ohio HSers need to be aware of. HUGE UPDATE! It's been withdrawn!!!

There is a Bill in the Ohio Senate that opens homeschoolers(including those using web-based schools) up to interviews, home visits, monitering, and more by JFS.

Any family who has had alleggations of abuse (doesn't matter if the allegations weren't substantiated.) will not be allowed to Homeschool. This will make it possible for those who do not agree with our choices to have power against us.

Here is the Bill:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_SB_248

UPDATE:It was posted on the Teddy's Law Facebook page that the Bill is being withdrawn. There hasn't been an official statement released yet.

Quote:https://www.facebook.com/Teddyslaw01

I will be posting a statement from senator Capri Cafaro on our withdrawing senate bill 248. I am sorry everything has become this way. We will continue our fight against child abuse. At this time Teddy's Law is done responding to questions and comments. And anyone who supports Teddy's Law I would urge the same.

I would like to apologize to Teddy for all of this. Our vision was to protect children from abuse and carry on his memory. This was about him and was never intended to be political. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Shawn Tedesco and the Teddy Law Team

It's official! The bill has been withdrawn:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Senator-Capri-S-Cafaro/279952678729649

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Someone just pointed out that all of the senators backing this bill are all up for re-election next year and are all from the same area of the state.

I'm glad they have a webpage on it now. I didn't see it earlier.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

The HSLDA has a new web page on it now, and mentions two Supreme Court cases that I'm going to include, as well as some good arguments. 

Like they said, this bill would not have stopped Teddy's abuse because CPS and the police never pulled him out of a house that was known to have an abuser (the mother's boyfriend). 

If this passes in Ohio it seems like it would open up the same kind of response in other states as well.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Cafaro is an effing moron. Who does she suppose pays for all that "intervention"?

How many times has cps proven themselves as morons. 

So morons + a moron. 

And they name it "Teddys Bill".....more like "cafaro needs attention bill".

Under her logic I couldn't homeschool because my ex called cps on me when he was arrested and ordered to pay child support... 

A cps report is not a conviction. 

I love how you dont hold your tongue. I appreciate that.
PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

youre welcome

Quoting irvinehiker:
Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Cafaro is an effing moron. Who does she suppose pays for all that "intervention"?

How many times has cps proven themselves as morons. 

So morons + a moron. 

And they name it "Teddys Bill".....more like "cafaro needs attention bill".

Under her logic I couldn't homeschool because my ex called cps on me when he was arrested and ordered to pay child support... 

A cps report is not a conviction. 

I love how you dont hold your tongue. I appreciate that.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
That's just wonderful. One of the yahoo hs groups is already discussing it, and I sent a post out to the local ones.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Someone just pointed out that all of the senators backing this bill are all up for re-election next year and are all from the same area of the state.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

The HSLDA has a new web page on it now, and mentions two Supreme Court cases that I'm going to include, as well as some good arguments. 

Like they said, this bill would not have stopped Teddy's abuse because CPS and the police never pulled him out of a house that was known to have an abuser (the mother's boyfriend). 

If this passes in Ohio it seems like it would open up the same kind of response in other states as well.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

They messed up when they lumped the e-schoolers in with the homeschoolers. There are approximately 75,557 homeschoolers in Ohio and when I graduated ECOT in 2008 there were over 1000 other students graduating. 

There are potentially over 100,000 children being affected by this Bill. 

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's just wonderful. One of the yahoo hs groups is already discussing it, and I sent a post out to the local ones.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

That is scary as hell because if it actually passes, then other states could try to follow suit.  It is a crock of crap though and shouldn't pass, but we all know how that tends to go. 

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM
2 moms liked this

My state recently passed a very homeschool friendly law and we have a lot of legal support and we live in the bible belt....so I'm hoping my state wouldn't get stupid.

But surely some states would consider it. 

But I'm wondering...Ohio has a large population of Mormons and Amish right? Wouldn't those 2 groups get involved in this?

Quoting kmath:

That is scary as hell because if it actually passes, then other states could try to follow suit.  It is a crock of crap though and shouldn't pass, but we all know how that tends to go. 

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a lot of children.  My dh and I discussed this last night, and he asked how cps would even be able to handle this.  It seems like they're swamped as it is, just from the evening news broadcasts.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

They messed up when they lumped the e-schoolers in with the homeschoolers. There are approximately 75,557 homeschoolers in Ohio and when I graduated ECOT in 2008 there were over 1000 other students graduating. 

There are potentially over 100,000 children being affected by this Bill. 

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's just wonderful. One of the yahoo hs groups is already discussing it, and I sent a post out to the local ones.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=bill/senate-bill-248-require-childrens-services-review-homeschooling
I
 don't know if this link was posted. Here is the link to where you can contact the senators and ask them not to sponsor this bill. I'm from TN, but I went ahead and sent them an email. 

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not steeped strongly in this, so forgive me if anything isn't perfect!  The Amish have their own schools, and it seems like most are the one-room schoolhouse type (pretty cool if you ask me!).  They're exempt from regular ps, and I would think they fall under this.

We have a HUGE number of United Pentacostal people who hs.  They're the ladies who always wear the denim skirts right?  I see them whenever we go to any hs events.

I know we have a large number of Mormons too.

When we went to the hs convention in Cincinnati it was packed, and there were families of all of those faiths, and TONS of people who looked like business types, crunchy folks, etc.  I know my husband was surprised because he wasn't expecting such a mix.  It would be pretty awesome if all of us can unite in stopping this.  

I'm going to start making calls in a minute, but wanted to have a full pot of coffee first! 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

My state recently passed a very homeschool friendly law and we have a lot of legal support and we live in the bible belt....so I'm hoping my state wouldn't get stupid.

But surely some states would consider it. 

But I'm wondering...Ohio has a large population of Mormons and Amish right? Wouldn't those 2 groups get involved in this?

Quoting kmath:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)