Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Bill that Ohio HSers need to be aware of. HUGE UPDATE! It's been withdrawn!!!

There is a Bill in the Ohio Senate that opens homeschoolers(including those using web-based schools) up to interviews, home visits, monitering, and more by JFS.

Any family who has had alleggations of abuse (doesn't matter if the allegations weren't substantiated.) will not be allowed to Homeschool. This will make it possible for those who do not agree with our choices to have power against us.

Here is the Bill:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_SB_248

UPDATE:It was posted on the Teddy's Law Facebook page that the Bill is being withdrawn. There hasn't been an official statement released yet.

Quote:https://www.facebook.com/Teddyslaw01

I will be posting a statement from senator Capri Cafaro on our withdrawing senate bill 248. I am sorry everything has become this way. We will continue our fight against child abuse. At this time Teddy's Law is done responding to questions and comments. And anyone who supports Teddy's Law I would urge the same.

I would like to apologize to Teddy for all of this. Our vision was to protect children from abuse and carry on his memory. This was about him and was never intended to be political. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Shawn Tedesco and the Teddy Law Team

It's official! The bill has been withdrawn:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Senator-Capri-S-Cafaro/279952678729649

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by Kate on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Alright, so I chickend out a little bit and emailed them instead of calling using the links from this HSLDA page.  I paraphrased the letter on the page too, because it pretty much covered everything.  I've got a copy of what I wrote, which is always good.

I'm about to send a note to my local lady - Peggy Lehner.  She always looks super tough in her pictures and is a Republican so maybe she'll go after those other folks since they're Democrats.  That's my hope anyhow! 

redhead-bedhead
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I emailed too. I get to passionate and forget what to say when I call them. I learned that when I was working with several Immigration Reform groups.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Alright, so I chickend out a little bit and emailed them instead of calling using the links from this HSLDA page.  I paraphrased the letter on the page too, because it pretty much covered everything.  I've got a copy of what I wrote, which is always good.

I'm about to send a note to my local lady - Peggy Lehner.  She always looks super tough in her pictures and is a Republican so maybe she'll go after those other folks since they're Democrats.  That's my hope anyhow! 

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I like to think about what I'm saying, and usually forget to add things if I call then kick myself the second I hang up.  It's popping up on a bunch of the big hs groups, so the more the merrier.  I'm sure she and her cohorts are getting slammed with emails and calls today.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I emailed too. I get to passionate and forget what to say when I call them. I learned that when I was working with several Immigration Reform groups.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  We sincerely appreciate it!

Quoting somuchlove4U:

http://www.hslda.org/cms/?q=bill/senate-bill-248-require-childrens-services-review-homeschooling
I
 don't know if this link was posted. Here is the link to where you can contact the senators and ask them not to sponsor this bill. I'm from TN, but I went ahead and sent them an email. 

nicki1018
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I find this ridiculous and scary. I hope this does not pass.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I sit next door in Pennsylvania with bated breath.  I'm sure if Ohio does this stupid thing, PA will try to follow.  I had CPS called along with the truancy officer when the public school did not want to acknowledge our affidavit, so I wonder if it would affect our homeschooling?

Presley77
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
A total violation of rights. Disgusting.
TidewaterClan
by Kate on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

The wording of the bill is so ambiguous it seems like anything could, including the social worker being in a bad mood.  Holy cow.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I sit next door in Pennsylvania with bated breath.  I'm sure if Ohio does this stupid thing, PA will try to follow.  I had CPS called along with the truancy officer when the public school did not want to acknowledge our affidavit, so I wonder if it would affect our homeschooling?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

It sounded as though you would need to speak to a social worker and get permission to homeschool.  That just seems like such a violation of rights all around.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

The wording of the bill is so ambiguous it seems like anything could, including the social worker being in a bad mood.  Holy cow.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, and not just one interview to see if we can hs in the first place, but two additional checkups.  

I think it's in direct violation of our 5th Amendment.  We're testifying and being witnesses against ourselves, when we haven't even commited a crime: 

Fifth Amendment - U.S. Constitution

Fifth Amendment - Rights of Persons

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It sounded as though you would need to speak to a social worker and get permission to homeschool.  That just seems like such a violation of rights all around.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)