Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help! My 5yo is struggling with using a pencil.

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest just turned 5 last month. We have been "officially" homeschooling for about a year now. Since the beginning he has loved worksheets/workbooks. He was always asking for more to do - until about three, four weeks ago. All of a sudden he has hated doing anything that requires the use of a pencil, crayon, marker, etc. I backed off the worksheets thinking maybe he was getting tired of them. Been doing a lot more "games" and what not. Today I gave him some coloring pages, thinking that he needed to just work on holding a crayon (which he can do properly) scribbling and what not. I left him alone for a few minutes and when I came back he had broken all the crayons in half. When I asked him why he said because he was mad and he couldn't color(nothing to do with coloring inside the lines, that hasn't hit him yet) . It's the same reaction I had been getting to the worksheets. So I'm thinking his "rebellion" is  having to use a writing utensil, its frustrating him for some reason.  I have noticed that his marks are so light that you can barely see them. I'm thinking maybe work on his fine motor skills, strengthen his hand.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-15):
Ankles
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Honesty, good advice above. 

But if he needs therapy it should be from professionals. Take him to a doctor.

Have you tried using really fat pencils and crayons?

Hadn't thought about some fat pencils. Have to add those to the list. 

Not sure if he needs therapy yet. I don't see any other problems. Going to give him a little more time I think before I worry to much ;) 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Handwriting w o tears recommends tiny crayon pieces to write did wonders for dd
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
form letters, chalk, the white board paint writing in a letters in air
Www.havefunteaching.com
sweetserenit292
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM

My oldest who is 6 and a half had the same problem.   We did a lot of what others have said too.... I also started him with the fat (am I allowed to say that ? lol)  pencils.  He didn't have the cordination for the regular ones.   He used those up until almost 6 and then transitioned to the regular pencil.  I also had him take a little wad of tissue and hold it with the fingers he wasn't using to grip the pencil.  That lasted for a month when it finally clicked.  

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM

These are things (developmental delays) that you should mention it to your pediatrician / family doctor. It might not be anything, but it is worth mentioning. 

There are Montessori activities that help with pincher skills and hand eye coordination. I would look into those. 

I would hold off on writing assignments. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN