Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning through the holidays.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM
  • 4 Replies
Good morning, Destinay has three more worksheets that she needs to do to be done for the Christmas break. Kids in Rhode Island last day is Friday and they go back to school January 2, 2014. In Rhode Island we have we have an attendance requirement, which I don't follow to the exact extent that they say but not that far off either, I mean to have Destinay sitting down doing academics 5 hours per day isn't going to work. I give her assignments, and when she is done then she is done. Last week I gave her about 20 worksheets to do from the different subjects I am legally required to teach her, and now she has 3 left. I told her when you finish them you are done with academics for the year. Now here is my question, how can I keep her learning through the holiday? I am mostly concerned with Math, multiplication, adding and subtracting. In January I want to start division. I also want to keep her reading. All I can think of is Destinay cooking with me. I am done my Christmas shopping, and she knows that, she doesn't believe in Santa Clause, so there will be no letters. We can work on the budget, but as far as anything else I'm clueless. So any help is appreciated, have a nice day.
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

How about having her help cook and bake. Lot's of math there. Or have her count the ornaments or lights on the tree.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

What about sending Christmas letters to friends and family?  Thank you cards?  Playing board games?  Reading Christmas stories?  Comparing the books to the movies?  Arts and crafts?  Make rock candy and ornaments.  Make some bird feeders and hang them up for Christmas day:  spread peanut butter on pine cones and sprinkle on some seeds or make suet cakes? ( http://www.birdsandblooms.com/Birds/Fall/Easy-Suet-Recipes/ )  

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

You could have her help cook & bake. Have her write letters to family & friends telling them all about her year & or thank you cards for gifts. Have her read Twas the Night Before Christmas & A Christmas Carol or any books that are in themewith the holiday. Play games like Yahtzeeor other dice games that use math skills. Play Monopoly, Life or any game that uses math. Play Scrabble, Bananagrams & other games that help with reading & spelling.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Those sound like fun! I think I might do that with my kids too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What about sending Christmas letters to friends and family?  Thank you cards?  Playing board games?  Reading Christmas stories?  Comparing the books to the movies?  Arts and crafts?  Make rock candy and ornaments.  Make some bird feeders and hang them up for Christmas day:  spread peanut butter on pine cones and sprinkle on some seeds or make suet cakes? ( http://www.birdsandblooms.com/Birds/Fall/Easy-Suet-Recipes/ )  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN