Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Holy crap, I think I'm an unschooler! How did that happen??

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 203 Replies
3 moms liked this

It came to me in a two part epiphany.

First I was surfing the net and came across a blog called Unschooling till it hurts. Basically she saying that unschooling isn't black or white, all or nothing. It just means you don't force any type of education on your kids. Compromise, suggest, but not force. That got my attention. I've tried unschooling in the past with ds but it was a flop. Now I'm wondering if I just took too far a didn't try for more balance.

Then later while dh was watching a Japanese show with subtitles, I heard ds talking. He was reading them! Not all of them, they were going too fast, but quite a few. That brought me back to when he's written notes for fun or to get out of trouble,lol.

ThenlightbulbI didn't teach him how to walk or talk. I didn't teach him how to ride a bike or draw a picture. I gave him the tools and lots of encouragement but in the end he learned because he wanted too. He had the desire too. How much would it have sucked if I gave him formal lessons on how to speak properly or walk with grace?

So then I took a hard look at our HS day. Casually I questioned ds on what he liked and didn't like about school. He LOVES watching science shows with me in the morning (we pause A LOT to discuss what's going on), he likes it when I read to him from Magic tree house, he likes when I read him Life of Fred stories, he likes when I read him science books (Cell Defenders is his hands down favorite right now) He likes telling me stories which I write down in his reading journal, and cool facts for his science journal that he dictates to me also. He likes doing science experiments and drawing pictures. And last but not least, he likes writing Audi and his friends notes. Not everyday day though.

Anyone else notice a trend here? lol

Two big things he does not like is having to write and reading books. I looked at that and thought, why do it then? What would happen if I stopped requiring him to read and write? I'm darn near an unschooler anyway. Why not just let that last bit go and trust that he'll learn in his own time?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I thought your DD preferred a plan. How is she doing with unschooling? If she decides to go back to school in a year or two, is this keeping her on track?

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome! *HUGS*

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

DD does, absolutely. We haven't started yet. I'm waiting until the first of the year. But when we do she wants to try Time 4 Learning. I plan on suplementing it a bit though with some extra math, reading and writing. I don't think she'll be going back to public school. She waffles on it and honestly I knwo she'll get a better education at home.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I thought your DD preferred a plan. How is she doing with unschooling? If she decides to go back to school in a year or two, is this keeping her on track?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Thanks!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Awesome! *HUGS*

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Reading and writing will happen when the time is right. My son, in 5th grade, all of a sudden decided to write a 60 page book. We are working more on writing because they are ready for it. There are so many things you can do in place of writing. Most readers become excellent writers. My son at 5 asked me to teach him to read. My youngest was a different story. He wanted to learn but it was so hard for him. We backed off a bit. He just started 4th grade and he just now is taking off reading. Reading and writing have enormous age gaps. I think sometimes people, myself included, have the false idea that if they don't learn something right now they never will learn it. It took me a long time to give up that idea. I think the environment a child is in makes all the difference. Kids need to be intellectually stimulated but that can happen in so many ways.
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't you just love when you see the learning & the love for learning & realize that it was there & happening all along & all you need to do is step back & wait for them to need you to help, guide, direct or just supply them with the tools!

Unschooling looks different for every family & child, it can also be done with one or all your children & still give the ones that need the structure & just are not cut out for unschooling with out compromising everyone.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yes! The big thing for me too is, unschooling doesn't have to look a certain way. It's just letting kids learn naturally without forcing anything. I've always felt that way anyway so this isn't really a big jump,lol. Shoot I can still unschool dd even with her wanting Time 4 Learning. 

Quoting usmom3:

Don't you just love when you see the learning & the love for learning & realize that it was there & happening all along & all you need to do is step back & wait for them to need you to help, guide, direct or just supply them with the tools!

Unschooling looks different for every family & child, it can also be done with one or all your children & still give the ones that need the structure & just are not cut out for unschooling with out compromising everyone.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You sure can because the Time4Learning is something she wants to do!

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes! The big thing for me too is, unschooling doesn't have to look a certain way. It's just letting kids learn naturally without forcing anything. I've always felt that way anyway so this isn't really a big jump,lol. Shoot I can still unschool dd even with her wanting Time 4 Learning. 

Quoting usmom3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You're right! It wasn't my first choice but it's something she wants to do.

Quoting usmom3:

You sure can because the Time4Learning is something she wants to do!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting usmom3:

acrogodess
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I am doing unschooling with them but their dad doesn't like it. He wants us to do actual lessons. They read a lot. I do suggest things. On occasion there is an assignment to write about something they read. I think we need to work more on math though. They both want to go to college and they'll have to pass the ACT test here and SAT so they definitely need to pass math. Ugh. I hate math. Once you learn addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (how to count money basically) I find it useless lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN