Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Holy crap, I think I'm an unschooler! How did that happen??

Posted by   + Show Post

It came to me in a two part epiphany.

First I was surfing the net and came across a blog called Unschooling till it hurts. Basically she saying that unschooling isn't black or white, all or nothing. It just means you don't force any type of education on your kids. Compromise, suggest, but not force. That got my attention. I've tried unschooling in the past with ds but it was a flop. Now I'm wondering if I just took too far a didn't try for more balance.

Then later while dh was watching a Japanese show with subtitles, I heard ds talking. He was reading them! Not all of them, they were going too fast, but quite a few. That brought me back to when he's written notes for fun or to get out of trouble,lol.

ThenlightbulbI didn't teach him how to walk or talk. I didn't teach him how to ride a bike or draw a picture. I gave him the tools and lots of encouragement but in the end he learned because he wanted too. He had the desire too. How much would it have sucked if I gave him formal lessons on how to speak properly or walk with grace?

So then I took a hard look at our HS day. Casually I questioned ds on what he liked and didn't like about school. He LOVES watching science shows with me in the morning (we pause A LOT to discuss what's going on), he likes it when I read to him from Magic tree house, he likes when I read him Life of Fred stories, he likes when I read him science books (Cell Defenders is his hands down favorite right now) He likes telling me stories which I write down in his reading journal, and cool facts for his science journal that he dictates to me also. He likes doing science experiments and drawing pictures. And last but not least, he likes writing Audi and his friends notes. Not everyday day though.

Anyone else notice a trend here? lol

Two big things he does not like is having to write and reading books. I looked at that and thought, why do it then? What would happen if I stopped requiring him to read and write? I'm darn near an unschooler anyway. Why not just let that last bit go and trust that he'll learn in his own time?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Omg, those were my boy and girl names that I had picked out forever! We ended up naming them something else but I told dh if we ever had another baby, those names were it,lol.

Traditional math beyond the basics doesn't do a thing for me either. But from what I've seen, Life of Fred is different. It's like everyday math which is something I can relate too :-) My ds prefers to do math in his head too. When you think about it, it makes more sense to do it that way anyway. When I'm out and about and need to figure something out, I don't break out a pad of paper,lol.

Quoting acrogodess:

Alexander is 12 and Olivia is 10, birthdays are coming up though. I wouldn't say that they struggle in math, but we haven't covered much more than the basics that they had already learned in school. We have done word problems and multiplying and dividing large numbers, no calculator allowed, mental math and paper only. They prefer applied skills so fractions they learn when they cook with me.

Quoting paganbaby:

How old are they? My 14 year old struggles with math. I'm not much better. So I went out and ordered Life of Fred. We haven't started yet but I hope it lives up to it's hype and can teach both of us,lol.

Quoting acrogodess: I am doing unschooling with them but their dad doesn't like it. He wants us to do actual lessons. They read a lot. I do suggest things. On occasion there is an assignment to write about something they read. I think we need to work more on math though. They both want to go to college and they'll have to pass the ACT test here and SAT so they definitely need to pass math. Ugh. I hate math. Once you learn addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (how to count money basically) I find it useless lol.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people don't realise they use it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting acrogodess:Once you learn addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (how to count money basically) I find it useless lol.

Really? I use algebra on a daily basis... as I do fractions, decimals, conversions, etc.

acrogodess
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I surely don't use this every day LOL

a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,

or this

\sqrt{(a_1-b_1)^2 + (a_2-b_2)^2 + \cdots + (a_n-b_n)^2} = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^n (a_i-b_i)^2}.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting acrogodess:Once you learn addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (how to count money basically) I find it useless lol.

Really? I use algebra on a daily basis... as I do fractions, decimals, conversions, etc.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Wanted to add here. The two men that I do know who were illiterate as adults were that way because of a traumatic experience while learning. My sister's father was forced to stay at his desk and copy work over and over for hours while his teacher called him a dummy. The other man was also pushed too hard and belittled for not learning quick enough.

My friend also worked as a tutor to illierate adults. Nearly all of them dropped out sometime in school for one reason. Yet interestingly enough none of them were homeschooled or unschooled.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What's the worse thing that could happen?

He could be a child who simply hates writing and learning to read, and will NEVER want to do it "in his own time". So the worst thing that could happen, in this situation, would be producing an illiterate adult, incapable of written expression. If you have no problem with that, more power to you.

But hey - you asked :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

LOL! No, not that. I was talking about the other kind of algebra,lol.

Quoting acrogodess:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,

or this

\sqrt{(a_1-b_1)^2 + (a_2-b_2)^2 + \cdots + (a_n-b_n)^2} = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^n (a_i-b_i)^2}.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

acrogodess
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

LOL. That is the kind I feel is useless for everyday application

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting acrogodess:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,

or this

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah, I'm with you there. Unless it calls for that type of math at your job I really don't see a use for it. I'm good with my basics.

Quoting acrogodess:

LOL. That is the kind I feel is useless for everyday application

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting acrogodess:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,

or this

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I am extremely proud. He had been trying so hard for a long time. I still remember the first he asked to read me his first picture book.
The real catalyst wad introducing him to Garfield comic books. They were his first books he read.

Quoting paganbaby:

That is awesome! You must be very proud of your son :-)

And yes, that's something I struggle with a lot. Sometimes I feel like if I don't push this now, he'll never learn. But then he'll surprise me and do somthing like read a paragraph on the computer,lol.

Quoting jen2150: Reading and writing will happen when the time is right. My son, in 5th grade, all of a sudden decided to write a 60 page book. We are working more on writing because they are ready for it. There are so many things you can do in place of writing. Most readers become excellent writers. My son at 5 asked me to teach him to read. My youngest was a different story. He wanted to learn but it was so hard for him. We backed off a bit. He just started 4th grade and he just now is taking off reading. Reading and writing have enormous age gaps. I think sometimes people, myself included, have the false idea that if they don't learn something right now they never will learn it. It took me a long time to give up that idea. I think the environment a child is in makes all the difference. Kids need to be intellectually stimulated but that can happen in so many ways.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I think that is great. I do some unschooling. Destinay still has worksheets and expectations, but she decides the order, I don't really pressure her with strict time for things.
tansyflower
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

i only know i know it because you told me i know it ;)

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)