Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats the best way to..?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 21 Replies
Transition into public when the child is already behind? This is our 3rd year homeschooling. (2nd grade) and dd is considerably behind and it isn't getting better. I've tried 2 extra years to please dh but this is NOT for me and dd isn't getting anywhere. I fight daily with her, she puts forth little to no effort, have changed curriculum numerous times, fight with her pre-k brother (both school and as an interuption), have a 5month old who breastfeeds constantly and refuses to be put down most of the day. I just can't take it anymore.

She is desperately behind in reading (at least a year) and fairly behind in math. I'll finish out this school year at home. How can I finish out the next 5 months without her sliding even further backwards? Next year would be testing stuff and if she can't read she's out of luck.

Help me get her caught up in reading please! I have very little time to school her between her brothers and her attitude. I just need a game plan or advice on how to finish this school year so we can try public next year.
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by Kate on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, I would call the public school if you don't feel like you'll be able to catch up in the next nine months (or whenever your public school starts).  Ask if they would be able to provide her with reading and math tutors.  She could start after their winter break and have half a year of thorough instruction before the summer, when you would have more free time for summer reading programs, etc.  If you don't have time for her lessons she'll be in a rough spot at the start of next year, especially if your state also has a "Third Grade Reading Guarantee."  If you can concentrate on her brothers while she's at public school you'll be able to focus on her homework, and get her caught up in no time.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I suggest you try Looney tunes phonics. My sons loved it. It is an online phonics program. Homeschooling is not for everyone. I am sure she will take off when the time is right. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with TidewaterClan.  If you are planning to send her to PS, get it started quickly.  I pulled my son in the middle of a school year because things were getting worse instead of better and I wouldn't wait an entire semester while spinning my wheels.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I will call and talk with them.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Honestly, I would call the public school if you don't feel like you'll be able to catch up in the next nine months (or whenever your public school starts).  Ask if they would be able to provide her with reading and math tutors.  She could start after their winter break and have half a year of thorough instruction before the summer, when you would have more free time for summer reading programs, etc.  If you don't have time for her lessons she'll be in a rough spot at the start of next year, especially if your state also has a "Third Grade Reading Guarantee."  If you can concentrate on her brothers while she's at public school you'll be able to focus on her homework, and get her caught up in no time.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I have him on abcmouse but will try looney tunes as well. If for nothing more than for him to have a few minutes to play and "not do school".

Quoting jen2150: I suggest you try Looney tunes phonics. My sons loved it. It is an online phonics program. Homeschooling is not for everyone. I am sure she will take off when the time is right. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
ballerina.2006
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Christmas break starts Friday so that gives me about 2 weeks to really figure it out. It didn't think about doing mid-year switch. I'll bring up that point with dh.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I agree with TidewaterClan.  If you are planning to send her to PS, get it started quickly.  I pulled my son in the middle of a school year because things were getting worse instead of better and I wouldn't wait an entire semester while spinning my wheels.

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, as a tutor (and home school grandmother) I have seen horrible results from learning phonics via computer games.   

The majority of children I get  who have trouble reading have learned their phonic sounds incorrectly as the link above explains.  Watch the first video at the following link. If he is pronouncing any of these sounds incorrectly reteach just them.  You might even have to teach him how to blend them (after you teach him the correct way to enunciate them. .

Hear Phonic Sounds Free. (watch the first video).  If a child has learned the phonics sounds correctly, but is able to read well, I do not recommend reteaching them (don't fix what isn't broken).  But, since your child is having trouble with his reading, I recommend this as your first step, because it is the major cause of reading difficulties (6 out of 7 times). 

If you need a game to help you, I suggest Ring Around The Phonics.  It comes with books, and directions that explain an easy way to teach reading.  It is all I use to teach reading, and the kids love it. 

P.S The mother writing the following article  also talks about the importance of learning the phonic sounds correctly

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Some kids struggle with reading until they are around 12. If she is hatting reading then you are only making things worse by fighting & forcing her to do it!. Have you tried making everything connect to things she loves & scrapping the curriculum. For exampleif she loves My Little Pony read MLP books, do math using the toys, I bet you can even find MLP themed worksheets if you feel the need to do them (I think they are just to keep kids busy & very few children actually learn from them). Get creative with it, have her write letters to the ponies for hand writing. Learn about where horses originated from (geography, history & science all in one). Learn about the legends of the unicorn & Pegasus (also history & mythology).

ballerina.2006
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM
It isn't just reading. She fights to do any school. I have tried the no fighting, do what she wants approach to no avail. We've tried reading books she's interested in and learning, again nothing. It's her complete lack of wanting to learn from me. She will work better for dh but not much. I WANT her to love learning. I have been trying to take it slow so she doesn't hate any one subject. I honestly feel I have used all of my resources up to make this happen.

I've done everything from her picking a topic to study to themed worksheets to full blown curriculum to file folder games to everyday life as a teaching tool. I honestly don't know what else ther is left to try :(

Quoting usmom3:

Some kids struggle with reading until they are around 12. If she is hatting reading then you are only making things worse by fighting & forcing her to do it!. Have you tried making everything connect to things she loves & scrapping the curriculum. For exampleif she loves My Little Pony read MLP books, do math using the toys, I bet you can even find MLP themed worksheets if you feel the need to do them (I think they are just to keep kids busy & very few children actually learn from them). Get creative with it, have her write letters to the ponies for hand writing. Learn about where horses originated from (geography, history & science all in one). Learn about the legends of the unicorn & Pegasus (also history & mythology).

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I second this. I just recently scrapped all reading and writing requirments for 8yo ds. It was huge fight everyday. He does read a little when it's something he's interested in. I've taken to writing him notes and leaving them around the house. Just silly stuff really. On occasion he likes to write notes to his sister and friends too. I got to tell ya. It's made a world of difference.

Quoting usmom3:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)