Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Transition into public when the child is already behind? This is our 3rd year homeschooling. (2nd grade) and dd is considerably behind and it isn't getting better. I've tried 2 extra years to please dh but this is NOT for me and dd isn't getting anywhere. I fight daily with her, she puts forth little to no effort, have changed curriculum numerous times, fight with her pre-k brother (both school and as an interuption), have a 5month old who breastfeeds constantly and refuses to be put down most of the day. I just can't take it anymore.

She is desperately behind in reading (at least a year) and fairly behind in math. I'll finish out this school year at home. How can I finish out the next 5 months without her sliding even further backwards? Next year would be testing stuff and if she can't read she's out of luck.

Help me get her caught up in reading please! I have very little time to school her between her brothers and her attitude. I just need a game plan or advice on how to finish this school year so we can try public next year.
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM
3 moms liked this

How long did you give the learning through life? It takes time to see the learning through life working. You first have to learn what life learning looks like, for example her reading signs as you drive or counting cars. This is learning to recognize words & understanding the relationship between numbers & objects.

My children hate to do any kind of "school" work yet they have learned all kinds of things just by living. Are they on grade level for their ages? No & I don't care because the grade level stuff is arbitrary rules made up by the schools that do not apply to real life learning & do not reflect the true range of ages children really do learn things in.

Think about this year has she learned nothing new? I bet the answer is she has! It might not be anything you think counts but any learning is still learning.

The way you said "I've tried 2 extra years to please dh but this is NOT for me and dd isn't getting anywhere" in your OP appears to me that you really don't want to homeschool your children! If you don't want to do this your children can sense that & that might be a bigger part of your problem then hernot wanting to learn! So it is probably in yours & their best interest that you put them in public school before this ruins their love of learning & your relationship with them.

Quoting ballerina.2006: It isn't just reading. She fights to do any school. I have tried the no fighting, do what she wants approach to no avail. We've tried reading books she's interested in and learning, again nothing. It's her complete lack of wanting to learn from me. She will work better for dh but not much. I WANT her to love learning. I have been trying to take it slow so she doesn't hate any one subject. I honestly feel I have used all of my resources up to make this happen.

I've done everything from her picking a topic to study to themed worksheets to full blown curriculum to file folder games to everyday life as a teaching tool. I honestly don't know what else ther is left to try :(

Quoting usmom3:

Some kids struggle with reading until they are around 12. If she is hatting reading then you are only making things worse by fighting & forcing her to do it!. Have you tried making everything connect to things she loves & scrapping the curriculum. For exampleif she loves My Little Pony read MLP books, do math using the toys, I bet you can even find MLP themed worksheets if you feel the need to do them (I think they are just to keep kids busy & very few children actually learn from them). Get creative with it, have her write letters to the ponies for hand writing. Learn about where horses originated from (geography, history & science all in one). Learn about the legends of the unicorn & Pegasus (also history & mythology).

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

The part in red is exactly what I thought when I read the OP as well.  If you want homeschooling help, I can give you methods and strategies that worked for us.  But I figured you were aiming to send her to Public School and gave you strategies for that.

Quoting usmom3:

How long did you give the learning through life? It takes time to see the learning through life working. You first have to learn what life learning looks like, for example her reading signs as you drive or counting cars. This is learning to recognize words & understanding the relationship between numbers & objects.

My children hate to do any kind of "school" work yet they have learned all kinds of things just by living. Are they on grade level for their ages? No & I don't care because the grade level stuff is arbitrary rules made up by the schools that do not apply to real life learning & do not reflect the true range of ages children really do learn things in.

Think about this year has she learned nothing new? I bet the answer is she has! It might not be anything you think counts but any learning is still learning.

The way you said "I've tried 2 extra years to please dh but this is NOT for me and dd isn't getting anywhere" in your OP appears to me that you really don't want to homeschool your children! If you don't want to do this your children can sense that & that might be a bigger part of your problem then hernot wanting to learn! So it is probably in yours & their best interest that you put them in public school before this ruins their love of learning & your relationship with them.

Quoting ballerina.2006: It isn't just reading. She fights to do any school. I have tried the no fighting, do what she wants approach to no avail. We've tried reading books she's interested in and learning, again nothing. It's her complete lack of wanting to learn from me. She will work better for dh but not much. I WANT her to love learning. I have been trying to take it slow so she doesn't hate any one subject. I honestly feel I have used all of my resources up to make this happen.

I've done everything from her picking a topic to study to themed worksheets to full blown curriculum to file folder games to everyday life as a teaching tool. I honestly don't know what else ther is left to try :(

Quoting usmom3:

Some kids struggle with reading until they are around 12. If she is hatting reading then you are only making things worse by fighting & forcing her to do it!. Have you tried making everything connect to things she loves & scrapping the curriculum. For exampleif she loves My Little Pony read MLP books, do math using the toys, I bet you can even find MLP themed worksheets if you feel the need to do them (I think they are just to keep kids busy & very few children actually learn from them). Get creative with it, have her write letters to the ponies for hand writing. Learn about where horses originated from (geography, history & science all in one). Learn about the legends of the unicorn & Pegasus (also history & mythology).

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Ballerina,

If your heart isn't in it, that's alright.  It's not fair for any of you (and your dh should understand that).  Good luck getting dd, and your sons, on track in public school if that's your wish.  You only live once, and you should do what's best for all of you.  That includes yourself. Like USMom said, it'll just trickle down.

For me homeschooling is the most fun job I've ever had.  I look forward to some of the lessons more than my girls, lol.  If you'd rather be enjoying that baby that's alright.

Just my two cents, and I wish you the best!

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Public schools in most states are not obligated to help homeschoolers. 

I highly suggest putting the child in public school right after the New Year (in time for the second semester).

The Logic Of English is a 40 day program. I used this one because I found it to be one of the more accurate and comprehensive phonics program. It helped my kids reading significantly!! Every day I also incorporated some activities that I found on Pinterest. My kids also read for a minimum of an hour a day (we created an award system and limited electronics until their reading level was caught up). 

If you insist on pursueing homeschooling for the year; then I suggest a program like All About Reading / All About Spelling or The Logic Of English (phonic rules based programs) AND/OR hiring some sort of tutor. -- If you do NOT see progress within a few weeks, please put the child in public school ASAP. Every bit of time DOES help.

Even with the child attending public school, you will STILL have to help the child get caught up (activities/work that the school sends home and reading with the child).

You need to decide what the limit is. Your role of being a mother and just your personal emotional/mental health is more important than your need to be "teacher". Maybe later you will be able to homeschool again (I had to quit homeschooling when my kids were in 2nd grade. I returned to homeschooling 2yrs later). 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM
3 moms liked this
*hugs*
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah sweety. I think you need a *hug*. Next, I'd like to ask, if I may, what is your schedule like for an ordinary day? Also, are you homeschooling your daughter because you want to or are you homeschooling because of someone else's desire to homeschool? The reason I ask is it does matter if you are homeschooling and really don't want to be homeschooling. Our children pick up on the slightest nuances of our thoughts and feelings without too much effort.
ballerina.2006
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I do have Logic of English! Dh and I are discussin all options right now since winter break started earlier today. I will bring up a tutor as well.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Public schools in most states are not obligated to help homeschoolers. 

I highly suggest putting the child in public school right after the New Year (in time for the second semester).

The Logic Of English is a 40 day program. I used this one because I found it to be one of the more accurate and comprehensive phonics program. It helped my kids reading significantly!! Every day I also incorporated some activities that I found on Pinterest. My kids also read for a minimum of an hour a day (we created an award system and limited electronics until their reading level was caught up). 

If you insist on pursueing homeschooling for the year; then I suggest a program like All About Reading / All About Spelling or The Logic Of English (phonic rules based programs) AND/OR hiring some sort of tutor. -- If you do NOT see progress within a few weeks, please put the child in public school ASAP. Every bit of time DOES help.

Even with the child attending public school, you will STILL have to help the child get caught up (activities/work that the school sends home and reading with the child).

You need to decide what the limit is. Your role of being a mother and just your personal emotional/mental health is more important than your need to be "teacher". Maybe later you will be able to homeschool again (I had to quit homeschooling when my kids were in 2nd grade. I returned to homeschooling 2yrs later). 

ballerina.2006
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Our days revolve around the baby (no schedule still). I attempt school in the mornings for less fight but it doesn't work out very well some days.

Initially, I started homeschooling be because I wanted to. I was over zealous and I took a huge ego hit when she wasn't learning as "fast" as I anticipated. Since then it's been harder for me plus we have a LOT of issues with our almost 5yo (behavioral) which helps nothing. At this point I think I'm doing it more dh but at the same time I really don't want her in PS (the education here sucks). :(

Quoting kirbymom: Ah sweety. I think you need a *hug*. Next, I'd like to ask, if I may, what is your schedule like for an ordinary day? Also, are you homeschooling your daughter because you want to or are you homeschooling because of someone else's desire to homeschool? The reason I ask is it does matter if you are homeschooling and really don't want to be homeschooling. Our children pick up on the slightest nuances of our thoughts and feelings without too much effort.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM
If you really think homeschool is better and want to continue to try, here is what I would try.

You need to revamp your love for homeschooling. So if you like to cook and bake have the kids take turns helping you with that. They can plan menus, help shop, help with the cooking.

Pick a simple curriculum and start at the beginning. I would probably do easy peasy as to me it is really easy and not to quick. Plus it does not take long.

oh and turn on a documentary and watch it. Do not ask the kids to sit with you but if they are anything like my kids they will watch because it is tv. We only watch TV rarely so it helps.

Then start arts and crafts. Make snowmen, even if it is out of toilet paper. Just make it fun for awhile and no pressure on you or the kids.

I have a hard time doing this because I always question myself but it will be easier than fighting them and may help you.

Quoting ballerina.2006: Our days revolve around the baby (no schedule still). I attempt school in the mornings for less fight but it doesn't work out very well some days.

Initially, I started homeschooling be because I wanted to. I was over zealous and I took a huge ego hit when she wasn't learning as "fast" as I anticipated. Since then it's been harder for me plus we have a LOT of issues with our almost 5yo (behavioral) which helps nothing. At this point I think I'm doing it more dh but at the same time I really don't want her in PS (the education here sucks). :(

Quoting kirbymom: Ah sweety. I think you need a *hug*. Next, I'd like to ask, if I may, what is your schedule like for an ordinary day? Also, are you homeschooling your daughter because you want to or are you homeschooling because of someone else's desire to homeschool? The reason I ask is it does matter if you are homeschooling and really don't want to be homeschooling. Our children pick up on the slightest nuances of our thoughts and feelings without too much effort.
Radiating2
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM
You must be exhausted! All you had to say was 24 hour nurser and you had my heart feeling for you. That alone can push a Momma from sanity. You sound like such a loving mom too just so tired as you have every right to be. You have the right answer inside, just try to let it come to you. When we stress too much over the question the answers can get clouded and we feel so confused. Especially when we're trying to do best by these little busters. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN