Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas presents that are also curriculum pieces....

Posted by   + Show Post

Under my tree right now there is The Well Trained Mind (for me), The Way We Work (for Levi), and 365 Science Experiments (for Quentin) wrapped and ready for Christmas morning.  I am itching to open our gifts so I can get reading and putting lessons together!  Argh!  

Okay needed to get that out.  Only 5 more days!  Haha!

Anybody else have some curriculum waiting under the tree?

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Replies (61-67):
julesjerry
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't, If i do, my 6 year old will cry. But my Friend did. She gave her daughter just pencil, crayons and note book. No toys.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That's not much fun. My kids would be disappointed in that as well. They always get books and my son loves his ring around the phonics. But if that is all he got he would have cried. You have to give Them at least one toy.

Quoting julesjerry:

I didn't, If i do, my 6 year old will cry. But my Friend did. She gave her daughter just pencil, crayons and note book. No toys.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Quoting julesjerry:

Hey, sorry it took me so long, but i was finishing up some stuff with my boys....

Pencils, crayons, and notebooks would probably make my sons cry too, but I buy them fun school supplies.  They got some fun games.  One is a treasure chest with a scavenger hunt of clues written with their sight words and good phonics words.  My 6yo got an really good art set and a book with how to draw 500 things (snakes and robots and cartoon characters).  My oldest got a weaving kit from his grandma.

We buy lots of educational stuff, but by no means are they boring or things the boys aren't interested in owning.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine too.  We bought lots of educational stuff anf supplies, but they were all fun things that the boys are very happy to own.

Quoting debramommyof4: That's not much fun. My kids would be disappointed in that as well. They always get books and my son loves his ring around the phonics. But if that is all he got he would have cried. You have to give Them at least one toy.

Quoting julesjerry:

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We (between my mil & I) got her some more Junie B., magic tree house, Ivy + Bean, Judy moody. Junie B. is not my favorite set of books for her but we almost have the whole set for some reason. She also got a few Boxcar Children books but they are a little above her level at the moment. She loves books that tell you how things work too, we have a ton of them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My 6yo asked specifically for no chapter books this Christmas.  He told me that he would rather read books that tell you how to do things or how things work because that is so much more important than silly stories about talking animals.  LOL  Where do they get these things?

What chapter books did you get?

Quoting twyliatepeka:

She wanted some beginner chapter books. She is getting ready to start reading them & didn't have any she was comfortable with. I love the little expirements just as much as she does & she likes to do the craft things on her own ( cause she is all gown like that). She gets "school stuff" for her birthday too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My dd wanted books, books, & more books. She got exactly that. She also got a few small expirement things (from dollar tree) too and some puzzles and craft projecty things.

Those are cool!  My oldest asked for books.  He said he wanted some stuff that would "challenge" him.  That was his exact word.  He told me he was bored with the "kiddie" books.  So I got him The Westing Game and Ender's Shadow.  They should be challenging! LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM

My boys didn't care for Junie B, but they love Judy Moody and the stories about her little brother Stink!

Quoting twyliatepeka:

We (between my mil & I) got her some more Junie B., magic tree house, Ivy + Bean, Judy moody. Junie B. is not my favorite set of books for her but we almost have the whole set for some reason. She also got a few Boxcar Children books but they are a little above her level at the moment. She loves books that tell you how things work too, we have a ton of them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My 6yo asked specifically for no chapter books this Christmas.  He told me that he would rather read books that tell you how to do things or how things work because that is so much more important than silly stories about talking animals.  LOL  Where do they get these things?

Quoting twyliatepeka:

She wanted some beginner chapter books. She is getting ready to start reading them & didn't have any she was comfortable with. I love the little expirements just as much as she does & she likes to do the craft things on her own ( cause she is all gown like that). She gets "school stuff" for her birthday too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My dd wanted books, books, & more books. She got exactly that. She also got a few small expirement things (from dollar tree) too and some puzzles and craft projecty things.

Those are cool!  My oldest asked for books.  He said he wanted some stuff that would "challenge" him.  That was his exact word.  He told me he was bored with the "kiddie" books.  So I got him The Westing Game and Ender's Shadow.  They should be challenging! LOL

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Judy Moody is the 1st one she has actually started reading on her own (out loud to me). I think she more likes the idea of Junie B. than actually reading it. Up till now she has been reading those leveled I Can Read type of books.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My boys didn't care for Junie B, but they love Judy Moody and the stories about her little brother Stink!

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)