Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas presents that are also curriculum pieces....

Posted by   + Show Post

Under my tree right now there is The Well Trained Mind (for me), The Way We Work (for Levi), and 365 Science Experiments (for Quentin) wrapped and ready for Christmas morning.  I am itching to open our gifts so I can get reading and putting lessons together!  Argh!  

Okay needed to get that out.  Only 5 more days!  Haha!

Anybody else have some curriculum waiting under the tree?

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM
It is new. He opted for an inexpensive one . It has a Phoenix on the front and a clear back so you can see the internal workings. I would like to get him a much nicer one when he gets older. He is turning 10 so I wanted something special. I think it also would be more fun to learn to tell time. He has been having trouble learning to tell time. He loves gold and anything shiny so he is very excited.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol ... Yep. That is exactly what I was getting at. Those awesome expressions!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom: All these posts remind me of being little at Christmas time. :)

Little?  It's all I can do not to say, "Hey, Christmas came early!  Let's open presents!!!"  Although now it's more about seeing their faces and less about seeing what I got.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
They are cute, especially for little tinker bell fans. They are easy chapter books and a bit easy for my 6 year old but she loves them and it will help with her compression so I do not mind.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I haven't read any from the Blink series.  Do you like them?  

Quoting debramommyof4: We use them as that depending on what they are. But I got my oldest Artemus Fowl, my 2nd the 2nd book in the in a Blink series. My son got an easy reader from cars and the baby (3 years old) got to board books. So I do not count those as curriculum.

I did find a really cute math book last night and bought it though. It is called Bedtime Math and I got a fact tracker for the current book we are reading in the magic tree house series. But those were not for the kids.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4: My ring around the phonics gets here tomorrow so it will go under the tree for my son. But other than books every year there is not going to be curriculum.

<3 Ring around the Phonics!

Seeing as how I write most of my own lesson plans and a lot of my own worksheets, I often mistake that books do not equal curriculum!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Quoting jen2150: It is new. He opted for an inexpensive one . It has a Phoenix on the front and a clear back so you can see the internal workings. I would like to get him a much nicer one when he gets older. He is turning 10 so I wanted something special. I think it also would be more fun to learn to tell time. He has been having trouble learning to tell time. He loves gold and anything shiny so he is very excited.

Very cool!  I hope he enjoys it!

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Dec. 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

No but I love the idea. I think I might do that next year. :)

MamaDearie
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Kei has a Young Architect Kit waiting for him. I've had it since the beginning of November and the anticipation is driving me crazy! He has really wanted one but he knew the price and told me 'Oh that is just way too expensive. Oh well.'. He has no idea!!!!! Just a couple more days!!!! (just a little excited here...)
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MamaDearie: Kei has a Young Architect Kit waiting for him. I've had it since the beginning of November and the anticipation is driving me crazy! He has really wanted one but he knew the price and told me 'Oh that is just way too expensive. Oh well.'. He has no idea!!!!! Just a couple more days!!!! (just a little excited here...)

Oh that sounds awesome!  What a great surprise.  I would be "just a little excited" too!

letstalk747
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

i want the well trained mind too

firefay
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM

My mom gave traditional learning materials- flash cards, a giant math workbook, and some life cycle science books to name a few.  This is the same person that doesn't think we can homeschool...lol... She's always giving me  things for "enrichment" which covers more than they would in school. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Quoting firefay:

My mom gave traditional learning materials- flash cards, a giant math workbook, and some life cycle science books to name a few.  This is the same person that doesn't think we can homeschool...lol... She's always giving me  things for "enrichment" which covers more than they would in school. 

My husband's family (aunts and uncles) gave us lots of workbooks and learning materials.  They also don't think homeschooling should be legal.  DH was actually a bit irritated about it, since they gave "real toys" to the public schooled kids.  I was happy to get the books and stuff.  Books don't require batteries or make annoying noises!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)