Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Christmas presents that are also curriculum pieces....

Posted by   + Show Post

Under my tree right now there is The Well Trained Mind (for me), The Way We Work (for Levi), and 365 Science Experiments (for Quentin) wrapped and ready for Christmas morning.  I am itching to open our gifts so I can get reading and putting lessons together!  Argh!  

Okay needed to get that out.  Only 5 more days!  Haha!

Anybody else have some curriculum waiting under the tree?

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Replies (51-60):
firefay
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM

See? That's what I don't get.  Wghy make it so easy by supplying so much material if they don't want us to do it...lol...  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Quoting firefay:

See? That's what I don't get.  Wghy make it so easy by supplying so much material if they don't want us to do it...lol...  

I think their idea is that we are going to do as we please anyway, so for the sake of the kids they're going to make sure they have some good supplies.  It's pretty condescending, but I'll take it!  Especially because I'm addicted to supplies!  LOL

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM

My dd wanted books, books, & more books. She got exactly that. She also got a few small expirement things (from dollar tree) too and some puzzles and craft projecty things.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:50 AM
We didn't have any curriculum under the tree, but my son (7) had a Knex roller coaster set, a Lego set, books, a math card game, a really nice adult art kit, and 'The Incredible Machine' computer game. My daughter (4) had Lincoln Logs, several educational board games, books, a puzzle, and safari animals. :)

We were also blessed by Roma with 'Ring Around the Phonics' which the kids both loved!
:-D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

My in-laws, who outwardly say they are in favor of homeschooling but their conversations with me and my children make me doubt that (they are both retired public school teachers) got my kids a microscope set. We haven't even opened it yet. I'm sure we will eventually, and it looks cool with lots of slides and stuff. But we didn't ask for it or anything. (They did also get the kids 'normal' gifts like a Lego set, crochet and crafting supplies, etc.)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My dd wanted books, books, & more books. She got exactly that. She also got a few small expirement things (from dollar tree) too and some puzzles and craft projecty things.

Those are cool!  My oldest asked for books.  He said he wanted some stuff that would "challenge" him.  That was his exact word.  He told me he was bored with the "kiddie" books.  So I got him The Westing Game and Ender's Shadow.  They should be challenging! LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Quoting SarahNElijah: We didn't have any curriculum under the tree, but my son (7) had a Knex roller coaster set, a Lego set, books, a math card game, a really nice adult art kit, and 'The Incredible Machine' computer game. My daughter (4) had Lincoln Logs, several educational board games, books, a puzzle, and safari animals. :)

We were also blessed by Roma with 'Ring Around the Phonics' which the kids both loved!
:-D

We love Ring around the phonics too!  Roma was a blessing there!!  :-D

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

My in-laws, who outwardly say they are in favor of homeschooling but their conversations with me and my children make me doubt that (they are both retired public school teachers) got my kids a microscope set. We haven't even opened it yet. I'm sure we will eventually, and it looks cool with lots of slides and stuff. But we didn't ask for it or anything. (They did also get the kids 'normal' gifts like a Lego set, crochet and crafting supplies, etc.)

My actual in-laws did give us some regular gifts, but the Aunts and Uncles (who I've told not to bother before) gave all "schooly" gifts.  Binoculars and terrariums and workbooks and stuff.  I say, the more the merrier and we will use it!!  LOL

We love our microscope, so I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!  :-)

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM

She wanted some beginner chapter books. She is getting ready to start reading them & didn't have any she was comfortable with. I love the little expirements just as much as she does & she likes to do the craft things on her own ( cause she is all gown like that). She gets "school stuff" for her birthday too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Those are cool!  My oldest asked for books.  He said he wanted some stuff that would "challenge" him.  That was his exact word.  He told me he was bored with the "kiddie" books.  So I got him The Westing Game and Ender's Shadow.  They should be challenging! LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM

My 6yo asked specifically for no chapter books this Christmas.  He told me that he would rather read books that tell you how to do things or how things work because that is so much more important than silly stories about talking animals.  LOL  Where do they get these things?

What chapter books did you get?

Quoting twyliatepeka:

She wanted some beginner chapter books. She is getting ready to start reading them & didn't have any she was comfortable with. I love the little expirements just as much as she does & she likes to do the craft things on her own ( cause she is all gown like that). She gets "school stuff" for her birthday too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)