Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has anyone gone to a Homeschooling convention before?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

I kind of want to go to one just to get more familiar with homeschooling.  Have any of you ever gone to one and what was it like?  Was it encouraging?  Did you learn a lot you didn't already know?  I am cutting it close because its in Jan. and I'll have to come up with the money for it before then.

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Yes , I went to one before my kids were school age. It was very encouraging. I was hoping it would persuade dh, it didnt, but thays ok, still working on him :)
Mweddle
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Did you go by yourself?  I have no friends that homeschool so I am on my own.

Quoting Precious333: Yes , I went to one before my kids were school age. It was very encouraging. I was hoping it would persuade dh, it didnt, but thays ok, still working on him :)

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to the Great Homeschool Convention. There were a lot of workshops available that would probably be useful. I only went into the curriculum hall. This may not even be an issue for you, but it was very Christian oriented.

ETA: I looked at the dates of GHC and it starts in March, so that's not the one you are going to.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I took my sister last year and she's not a homeschooler. Take anyone who is supportive.

Quoting Mweddle:

Quoting Precious333: Yes , I went to one before my kids were school age. It was very encouraging. I was hoping it would persuade dh, it didnt, but thays ok, still working on him :)

Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, we didnt know anyone except a speaker there was a friend of my parents.

Quoting Mweddle:

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that it is a good way to get familar with homeschooling and the options out there. Flip through the books, take pictures, take notes, ask questions, listen to the people around you there. If you have a mobile device w/internet, you can look up stuff while there (reviews, prices, or what not). Get there early and take your time.

Conventions are not always the most cost effective option. There is craigslist, homeschool forums, ebay, and other such online places that sell used curriculum. 

You might want to see if you have used homeschool stores in your area (I have two in my area) - and check their prices. Some of the stuff at the one used store around me is close to the retail cost (and sometimes an older edition too). So I have to be careful about that.

No matter what you do, make sure that you research the curriculums and know what you are looking for. It doesn't matter what deal you get if you end up having to change curriculums. 

There are websites that review curriculums.

http://homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/showall.aspx

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/

http://www.successful-homeschooling.com/homeschool-curriculum-reviews.html

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I went to the great hs convention in Cincinnati last year. I only bought a handful of things including some math blocks for games & a Florence Nightingale book but I loved looking through every single publisher. There were reps from Christian & secular companies so it was a great place to compare things in person.

I didn't go to any workshops but may this coming year. Dh & my girls went with me & everyone got excited about something there.

This year I'll know more of what I'm doing (it's our first year) so will take a list of what I think I want along with prices from the publisher, amazon, & rainbow resources.
celticdragon77
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I have only been to a few curriculum conventions (I have never attended the workshops). At one of the smaller conventions I attended, it was a bit of a shock for the kids and I. They ALL looked VERY similar. They just stared at us and looked away quickly if we got near them (to be fair, we were dressed in a stark contrast to them). It was a very unusual experience. We didn't stay long because I was looking for secular materials. At another one I attended, it was very normal, but they had a policy of only allowing religious materials to be sold there. I wish that would have been posted somewhere BEFORE I paid to attend it - It was a learning curve; I now ASK. 

I didn't attend conventions after the first 2yrs. I had a good idea of what was out there, had an idea of our direction with homeschooling, and had homeschool stores in my area to see the materials in person. However, I have considered attending one this coming year. It has been about 5+yrs since I was last at one. I am curious to see whats new - especially for the older grade levels. I mainly shop through Rainbow Resources now. 

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I went to the Great Homeschool Convention. There were a lot of workshops available that would probably be useful. I only went into the curriculum hall. This may not even be an issue for you, but it was very Christian oriented.

ETA: I looked at the dates of GHC and it starts in March, so that's not the one you are going to.

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I have been to several, and learned a lot.  All About Home School Conventions

P.S. I don't recommend most of  the smaller conventions.  I recommend the large State Home School Conventions though.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

No. There are rarely Catholic conventions around my area, and I have no desire to attend the others (evangelical protestant, for the most part; we do not use that type of curricula, so it would be a waste of time, and I wouldn't care for the worldview of the speakers).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN