Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: 15 Reasons I’m Glad I Don’t Do Santa

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

15 Reasons I’m Glad I Don’t Do Santa

by Cynthia Dermody 

I love Christmas and all the Christmas traditions — I love practically everything about the season — except for one itsy-bitsy complication: I’m Jewish. As much fun as dreidels and a well-lit menorah may be, they just can’t compete with an entire culture that goes Christmas-crazy every year.

But there’s one big Christmas tradition that always makes me glad I’m Jewish: I don’t have to do the Santa thing. Here’s why I’m glad for that …

1. I get credit for shopping. It takes a significant amount of time and expertise, even if you do it all on Amazon.

2. I get credit for buying. Look, kids, those gifts cost money. Mommy’s not letting a bunch of elves get all the glory while she spends her hard-earned cash.

3. I get credit for wrapping. You think it’s easy to wrap a basketball? It’s not. But I did it, so RESPECT, bitches.

4. No lugging my kids to the mall to make them sit on the lap of a strange man. Weirdest tradition ever, Gentiles.

5. No expensive wish lists. Yes, technically Santa’s elves could make you a giant flatscreen TV just as easily as they could make you an iPod, but they won’t, and I don’t have to justify the reason why.

6. No letters to Santa. Mail carriers are busy enough this time of year to have to deal with a bunch of letters with fake North Pole addresses on them. We’re practically saying, “Here, U.S. Postal Service. Throw these away for us.”

7. No Santa stalking. You know what I don’t want to do on Christmas Eve? Spend it obsessively checking a website or a Santa-tracking app to see if the sleigh has made it to our area.

8. No Santa suit for my husband. Trust me: No one looks good in that much red fabric. And, no, I won’t sit in your lap either.

9. No fake reindeer crap. Any tradition that involves fooling kids with excrement is a tradition I’m glad isn’t mine.

10. No cookies on a plate to feed an already overweight man. Our kids’ biggest hero is expected to eat cookies at every stop and still shove his fat ass down a chimney. No wonder obesity is such a problem these days.

11. No carrots or glittery food for the reindeer. God forbid Comet and Prancer get left out at snacktime.

12. No messy ashes tracked around the fireplace as evidence. If Santa can deliver to eleventy-billion homes in a single night, he can clean up after himself.

13. No whining on Christmas Day. Because they got up and Santa couldn’t find forgot to bring one of the 15 items on their wish list.

14. No sadness when the truth comes out. Yes, kids, Mommy has been lying to you all these years about an imaginary fat man who bends the laws of space and time while wearing a fluffy red suit. Stop crying. All the other parents are doing it.

15. My kids behave out of love and respect … not because of a naughty and nice list. No, I’m serious. They DO. Quit rolling your eyes, dammit.

Do your kids believe in Santa?

Are you glad your kids don't believe in Santa?

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes my kids believe, and yes I am glad they do :)

There is no whining, my kids behave out of love and respect, and I don't want credit for buying gifts or wrapping (IMHO, that is NOT why you should give gifts anyway). We love sprinkling reindeer food on the lawn, setting out cookies, and making the little mess to show a reindeer came in the house. It doesn't take that long to clean up and the look on my kids faces is worth it. I love that my children still believe and I will allow them to for as long as they choose. Sorry, this article is ridiculous. Not all kids who believe in Santa are whining, ungrateful brats.

Yes, we still keep the focus on Christ. We set an extra place at the head of our table, we sing happy birthday to Jesus, and we talk about all Jesus has done for us. Santa is just a fun tradition that we do as well.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I couldn't have said this better myself.

And most children don't cry and think their parents lied to them for years, at least no one I know has been scarred for life because their parents brought them a little magic when they were young.

My kids have never complained that they didn't get something they asked for, they actually think elves CAN'T make everything and that Santa has to buy some of the gifts. My children are fairly well behaved year round, even my oldest who no longer believes in Santa, because they are good kids who have been raised pretty well (if I say so myself)...not because of the list. My kids also get gifts from both us and Santa, so we still "get credit" for many of their gifts...not that that's the reason we give them anyway. And some day when they are parents themselves, they will fully appreciate what we went through to give them the best Christmases we could.

They're only young once, I don't see the harm in some families choosing to have traditions about Santa. I don't judge those who choose not to include Santa, so I expect not to be judged because we choose to include Santa in our traditions.

Quoting RheaF:

There is no whining, my kids behave out of love and respect, and I don't want credit for buying gifts or wrapping (IMHO, that is NOT why you should give gifts anyway). We love sprinkling reindeer food on the lawn, setting out cookies, and making the little mess to show a reindeer came in the house. It doesn't take that long to clean up and the look on my kids faces is worth it. I love that my children still believe and I will allow them to for as long as they choose. Sorry, this article is ridiculous. Not all kids who believe in Santa are whining, ungrateful brats.

Yes, we still keep the focus on Christ. We set an extra place at the head of our table, we sing happy birthday to Jesus, and we talk about all Jesus has done for us. Santa is just a fun tradition that we do as well.

RheaF
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I have never heard of a child in real life that was angry because their parents let them believe in Santa. I remember it being more fun once I learned the truth, because then I could really do it up for my little brother and sister.

I have had many people (who do not do Santa in their homes) tell me my kids will be angry, or that I will kill their faith in Jesus because "if you lied to me about Santa, that means you lied about Jesus too!" ( that is a direct quote I have gotten from a few people who claim they know what my child will say when they learn the truth).

IMHO, if a family chooses not to do Santa (for whatever reason) great. More power to ya, but don't try and bring the rest of us down because we do. (sorry, this debate has gotten out of hand amoung my circle of "friends" this year. It's insane,lol)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I couldn't have said this better myself.

And most children don't cry and think their parents lied to them for years, at least no one I know has been scarred for life because their parents brought them a little magic when they were young.

My kids have never complained that they didn't get something they asked for, they actually think elves CAN'T make everything and that Santa has to buy some of the gifts. My children are fairly well behaved year round, even my oldest who no longer believes in Santa, because they are good kids who have been raised pretty well (if I say so myself)...not because of the list. My kids also get gifts from both us and Santa, so we still "get credit" for many of their gifts...not that that's the reason we give them anyway. And some day when they are parents themselves, they will fully appreciate what we went through to give them the best Christmases we could.

They're only young once, I don't see the harm in some families choosing to have traditions about Santa. I don't judge those who choose not to include Santa, so I expect not to be judged because we choose to include Santa in our traditions.

Quoting RheaF:

Mandallyn
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
It's extremely hard to celebrate any other holiday around this time of year. When I was practicing to convert to Judaism, Christmas was the biggest challenge. No one bothers to consider that someone doesn't celebrate the holiday. Strangers continuously told my children Santa was real.

We celebrate Christmas only as a secular holiday. My kids know Santa isn't real, but we play along for the fun of the holiday. I don't care who gets credit for the shopping, the toys, whatever. It's not as important to me as they meaning that was passed down to me, being happy with family.
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with everything you've said. When my oldest finally came to me & asked last year I told her the truth. She was excited because now she can help be Santa for her younger sister. That's what the true meaning of Santa is all about IMO.

Quoting RheaF:

I have never heard of a child in real life that was angry because their parents let them believe in Santa. I remember it being more fun once I learned the truth, because then I could really do it up for my little brother and sister.

I have had many people (who do not do Santa in their homes) tell me my kids will be angry, or that I will kill their faith in Jesus because "if you lied to me about Santa, that means you lied about Jesus too!" ( that is a direct quote I have gotten from a few people who claim they know what my child will say when they learn the truth).

IMHO, if a family chooses not to do Santa (for whatever reason) great. More power to ya, but don't try and bring the rest of us down because we do. (sorry, this debate has gotten out of hand amoung my circle of "friends" this year. It's insane,lol)

Quoting RheaF:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this
My logic to people thinking your kids will just think you're a liar: how many adults believe in God and Jesus? How many of them believed in Santa as a child? Obviously the adults no longer believe in Santa, but still have faith. They are not the same thing. I questioned my faith as a teen/young adult, it had nothing to do with me finding out Santa was not real. As an adult I have faith, and I know Santa isn't real...but I believe in the magic of Christmas, and I think "Santa" is in all of us when we give.

When I confronted my mom when I was 10, I still remember her response and it is what I told my oldest and will tell my yougest...'I believe Santa is real for people that need him, since we have enough money, we can buy our gifts.' And I show this to my children by buying for some other children (toys for tots or a family on the tree at the store), we ARE Santa to them! And that's the spirit of Christmas.

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting RheaF:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is so excited to help be Santa! And then DH and I bought the kids very large erector sets, we are wrapping them in super special shiny paper and DH will put them under the tree after my oldest does Santa with us...so there could still be a little magic left for him :)

And you are so right, I love that my oldest wants to help be Santa and still make it special for his sister (who is only 11 months younger and will know very soon I'm sure! Time for another baby so both big kids can be Santa ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan: I agree with everything you've said. When my oldest finally came to me & asked last year I told her the truth. She was excited because now she can help be Santa for her younger sister. That's what the true meaning of Santa is all about IMO.

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting RheaF:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I do not celebrate Christmas and I am glad I do not but not for the reasons you listed.  Most of them I find ridiculous.  I am not Jewish but I keep all the Biblical holidays and love them.  I used to keep Christmas but do not miss it all.  I love all the Holy Days that I celebrate each year.  I see so many people that have forgotten the real meaning of Christmas.

NewMommy81910
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My son is only 3 and is iffy about Santa. He told me he isnt real and the one at the mall is fake because he doesnt even have a red hat, which he did, but he just isnt going for it. Yes, I would like to take credit for all of his gifts, but he is a very well behaved and the look on his face when he was told he gets to open his gifts in 2 days, was totally priceless. It isnt only fun for him with all of the traditions, but it is fun for me to be able to use my imagination and surprise him with his Elf on the Shelf every morning. It is also very interesting to see how questionable a 3 year old is with these things. Most kids dont question, my son does.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That is wonderful.  We have special Santa paper too, and I only put things out after I know they're asleep.  They get so excited about the possibilities when they come down the stairs.  I want them to enjoy that feeling as long as they can.

LOL, a new baby sounds like a definite must! :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: My oldest is so excited to help be Santa! And then DH and I bought the kids very large erector sets, we are wrapping them in super special shiny paper and DH will put them under the tree after my oldest does Santa with us...so there could still be a little magic left for him :)

And you are so right, I love that my oldest wants to help be Santa and still make it special for his sister (who is only 11 months younger and will know very soon I'm sure! Time for another baby so both big kids can be Santa ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan: I agree with everything you've said. When my oldest finally came to me & asked last year I told her the truth. She was excited because now she can help be Santa for her younger sister. That's what the true meaning of Santa is all about IMO.

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting RheaF:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)