Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: 15 Reasons I’m Glad I Don’t Do Santa

15 Reasons I’m Glad I Don’t Do Santa

by Cynthia Dermody 

I love Christmas and all the Christmas traditions — I love practically everything about the season — except for one itsy-bitsy complication: I’m Jewish. As much fun as dreidels and a well-lit menorah may be, they just can’t compete with an entire culture that goes Christmas-crazy every year.

But there’s one big Christmas tradition that always makes me glad I’m Jewish: I don’t have to do the Santa thing. Here’s why I’m glad for that …

1. I get credit for shopping. It takes a significant amount of time and expertise, even if you do it all on Amazon.

2. I get credit for buying. Look, kids, those gifts cost money. Mommy’s not letting a bunch of elves get all the glory while she spends her hard-earned cash.

3. I get credit for wrapping. You think it’s easy to wrap a basketball? It’s not. But I did it, so RESPECT, bitches.

4. No lugging my kids to the mall to make them sit on the lap of a strange man. Weirdest tradition ever, Gentiles.

5. No expensive wish lists. Yes, technically Santa’s elves could make you a giant flatscreen TV just as easily as they could make you an iPod, but they won’t, and I don’t have to justify the reason why.

6. No letters to Santa. Mail carriers are busy enough this time of year to have to deal with a bunch of letters with fake North Pole addresses on them. We’re practically saying, “Here, U.S. Postal Service. Throw these away for us.”

7. No Santa stalking. You know what I don’t want to do on Christmas Eve? Spend it obsessively checking a website or a Santa-tracking app to see if the sleigh has made it to our area.

8. No Santa suit for my husband. Trust me: No one looks good in that much red fabric. And, no, I won’t sit in your lap either.

9. No fake reindeer crap. Any tradition that involves fooling kids with excrement is a tradition I’m glad isn’t mine.

10. No cookies on a plate to feed an already overweight man. Our kids’ biggest hero is expected to eat cookies at every stop and still shove his fat ass down a chimney. No wonder obesity is such a problem these days.

11. No carrots or glittery food for the reindeer. God forbid Comet and Prancer get left out at snacktime.

12. No messy ashes tracked around the fireplace as evidence. If Santa can deliver to eleventy-billion homes in a single night, he can clean up after himself.

13. No whining on Christmas Day. Because they got up and Santa couldn’t find forgot to bring one of the 15 items on their wish list.

14. No sadness when the truth comes out. Yes, kids, Mommy has been lying to you all these years about an imaginary fat man who bends the laws of space and time while wearing a fluffy red suit. Stop crying. All the other parents are doing it.

15. My kids behave out of love and respect … not because of a naughty and nice list. No, I’m serious. They DO. Quit rolling your eyes, dammit.

Do your kids believe in Santa?

Are you glad your kids don't believe in Santa?

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
See your last part is why I still believe in Santa. It is the spirit and love that comes at Christmas and giving to those who need it. I have been there and there have been many years that without help we could not do it and one year we planned to skip because we thought the girls were young enough and we had no money. Christmas Eve there was a knock on the door and a lady from church was our Santa that year. She brought way more than enough for our 2 little girls and touch me so deeply because I could not provide and she had not told me this was coming. To me it was a Christmas miracle.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: My logic to people thinking your kids will just think you're a liar: how many adults believe in God and Jesus? How many of them believed in Santa as a child? Obviously the adults no longer believe in Santa, but still have faith. They are not the same thing. I questioned my faith as a teen/young adult, it had nothing to do with me finding out Santa was not real. As an adult I have faith, and I know Santa isn't real...but I believe in the magic of Christmas, and I think "Santa" is in all of us when we give.

When I confronted my mom when I was 10, I still remember her response and it is what I told my oldest and will tell my yougest...'I believe Santa is real for people that need him, since we have enough money, we can buy our gifts.' And I show this to my children by buying for some other children (toys for tots or a family on the tree at the store), we ARE Santa to them! And that's the spirit of Christmas.

Quoting RheaF:

I have never heard of a child in real life that was angry because their parents let them believe in Santa. I remember it being more fun once I learned the truth, because then I could really do it up for my little brother and sister.

I have had many people (who do not do Santa in their homes) tell me my kids will be angry, or that I will kill their faith in Jesus because "if you lied to me about Santa, that means you lied about Jesus too!" ( that is a direct quote I have gotten from a few people who claim they know what my child will say when they learn the truth).

IMHO, if a family chooses not to do Santa (for whatever reason) great. More power to ya, but don't try and bring the rest of us down because we do. (sorry, this debate has gotten out of hand amoung my circle of "friends" this year. It's insane,lol)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I couldn't have said this better myself.

And most children don't cry and think their parents lied to them for years, at least no one I know has been scarred for life because their parents brought them a little magic when they were young.

My kids have never complained that they didn't get something they asked for, they actually think elves CAN'T make everything and that Santa has to buy some of the gifts. My children are fairly well behaved year round, even my oldest who no longer believes in Santa, because they are good kids who have been raised pretty well (if I say so myself)...not because of the list. My kids also get gifts from both us and Santa, so we still "get credit" for many of their gifts...not that that's the reason we give them anyway. And some day when they are parents themselves, they will fully appreciate what we went through to give them the best Christmases we could.

They're only young once, I don't see the harm in some families choosing to have traditions about Santa. I don't judge those who choose not to include Santa, so I expect not to be judged because we choose to include Santa in our traditions.

Quoting RheaF:

Yes my kids believe, and yes I am glad they do :)

There is no whining, my kids behave out of love and respect, and I don't want credit for buying gifts or wrapping (IMHO, that is NOT why you should give gifts anyway). We love sprinkling reindeer food on the lawn, setting out cookies, and making the little mess to show a reindeer came in the house. It doesn't take that long to clean up and the look on my kids faces is worth it. I love that my children still believe and I will allow them to for as long as they choose. Sorry, this article is ridiculous. Not all kids who believe in Santa are whining, ungrateful brats.

Yes, we still keep the focus on Christ. We set an extra place at the head of our table, we sing happy birthday to Jesus, and we talk about all Jesus has done for us. Santa is just a fun tradition that we do as well.

letstalk747
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

no

yes i am glad , #9 is my fav---------------   lol

ambcortez
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

So you don't do Santa because you think you HAVE to do all of the things you mentioned? Interesting... My kids believe in Santa and we do the Elf and yes, I'm glad we do, but most of those things I've never heard of or we just don't do it.

1. I don't NEED my kids to give me credit for shopping. That's not why I buy them things.

2. I don't NEED my kids to give me credit for buying, which is basically the same thing as shopping.

3. I don't NEED my kids to give me credit for wrapping. So you wrapped a ball... um. Big deal? There are also gift bags and boxes to put things in. Or make the ball look like a piece of candy with twisted ends. Woah.

4.  It's not like kids are unsupervised and leaving their children with a stranger while they continue shopping. Not that weird.

5. Luckily my kids are young and don't request the most expensive things. But I'm hoping by the time they reach the age to ask for a flat screen, they'll be too old to believe in Santa. And if anyone is getting a flat screen, it's Mama.

6. My kids never wrote letters to Santa.

7. We don't stalk Santa. Never heard of it, actually.

8. Z doesn't dress up.

9. We don't do reindeer crap.

10. The cookies are fun because I get to bake with my kids. It's quality time and letting them create something. Z and I get to watch a movie after the kids are in bed with an already prepared treat.

11. We don't like glitter. Vegetables also make a fun snack with a movie.

12. No fireplace here, but if there was, we wouldn't make ashy footprints.

13. If your kids are whining, that's on you. My kids appreciate what they have and don't whine for things they don't because that's how I taught them to behave.

14. Sadness, maybe. But it depends on how they find out and what you tell them.

15. My kids also behave out of love and respect because I taught them that, as well.

ambcortez
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I grew up never believing because my parents didn't encourage it. DH believed, though, so we brought Santa to our own children. I feel kinda sad and maybe a little jealous that I wasn't given that spark of magic when I was little. Christmas felt like my birthday but with fancy decorations. Parents gave me stuff and that was that. No baking cookies or staying up late listening for sleighbells, etc. It was just kinda boring for me and I didn't see what the big deal was. Mom would be stressed out trying to cook, my sister and I would both get death threats if we told our little cousins Santa wasn't real and it just wasn't magical.

Now, doing Santa with my own kids, it FEELS magical. We bake cookies and watch the Christmas movies, the kids stay up a little later and it's just so much fun. Their eyes light up and they get so excited that Christmas is just a few days away. It's wonderful, even as an adult, to play along.

Quoting RheaF:

I have never heard of a child in real life that was angry because their parents let them believe in Santa. I remember it being more fun once I learned the truth, because then I could really do it up for my little brother and sister.

I have had many people (who do not do Santa in their homes) tell me my kids will be angry, or that I will kill their faith in Jesus because "if you lied to me about Santa, that means you lied about Jesus too!" ( that is a direct quote I have gotten from a few people who claim they know what my child will say when they learn the truth).

IMHO, if a family chooses not to do Santa (for whatever reason) great. More power to ya, but don't try and bring the rest of us down because we do. (sorry, this debate has gotten out of hand amoung my circle of "friends" this year. It's insane,lol)

And most children don't cry and think their parents lied to them for years, at least no one I know has been scarred for life because their parents brought them a little magic when they were young.

My kids have never complained that they didn't get something they asked for, they actually think elves CAN'T make everything and that Santa has to buy some of the gifts. My children are fairly well behaved year round, even my oldest who no longer believes in Santa, because they are good kids who have been raised pretty well (if I say so myself)...not because of the list. My kids also get gifts from both us and Santa, so we still "get credit" for many of their gifts...not that that's the reason we give them anyway. And some day when they are parents themselves, they will fully appreciate what we went through to give them the best Christmases we could.

They're only young once, I don't see the harm in some families choosing to have traditions about Santa. I don't judge those who choose not to include Santa, so I expect not to be judged because we choose to include Santa in our traditions.

Quoting RheaF:

There is no whining, my kids behave out of love and respect, and I don't want credit for buying gifts or wrapping (IMHO, that is NOT why you should give gifts anyway). We love sprinkling reindeer food on the lawn, setting out cookies, and making the little mess to show a reindeer came in the house. It doesn't take that long to clean up and the look on my kids faces is worth it. I love that my children still believe and I will allow them to for as long as they choose. Sorry, this article is ridiculous. Not all kids who believe in Santa are whining, ungrateful brats.

Yes, we still keep the focus on Christ. We set an extra place at the head of our table, we sing happy birthday to Jesus, and we talk about all Jesus has done for us. Santa is just a fun tradition that we do as well.

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I personally know 2 people who have been "hurt" by the truth.  They began to question their faith as well because they had been lied to.  We choose not to do Santa in our house for a multitude of reasons...the main one being that we don't want to "lie" to our children.  I have a child that came to live with us just over a year and a half ago full time.  She had been lied to about so so many things.  We told her the truth when she was here 3 years ago because it was quickly approaching Christmas....She was taken from our care and back to her mother who then immediately told her that if she didn't "believe" there wouldn't be any gifts Christmas morning.  Can you imagine how conufused this poor child was. 

I had to hold onto EVERY gift I bought her that year until her birthday when I was finally allowed to see her again.  She opened every gift and asked if she would have gotten them if she was at our house whether she believed or not.  I answered her honestly....it was a yes.  I just can't bring myself to flat out lie to them for YEARS and expect them to believe anything I say after that.  BTW she came to live with us again 4 mos after she was taken out of our care.  I has been just over a year and a half and we have finally broken the "I believe in Santa, but they don't" phase.  She understands the true meaning behind Christmas and why we choose to do things the way that we do.  BTW she is nearly 8.

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting RheaF:

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids believed in Santa & last year the younger 2 asked if he was real. I told them all the stories about St. Nicolas & all the "Santa" type beings that are believed in all around the world. They now know that Santa Claus is steeped in myth & legend just like Paul Bunion, Pecos Bill & Johnny Appleseed.

They where not sad or angry, they did not feel betrayed or lied to. They have asked if we can still pretend about Santa because they love all of the aspects of him like baking cookies for him, getting 1 specialgift from him & a stocking full of toys & candy. We never where big on the going to see him because with Autistic children that is a nightmare. All of the reasons that Mom gives in the post about not doing Santa are not requirements to believe! Parents can make Santa as complicated or as simple as they wish!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM
3 moms liked this

That article is super arrogant and obnoxious. You don't want to do Santa? Fantastic. But get off your high horse and stop feeling superior to those families who do cherish that tradition associated with Christmas.

We "do" Santa in the sense that he brings something, but we do not make a big deal of it at all, and have the understanding that if the children ever ask point bank, "Is he real?" we will not lie to them. Our oldest knows the truth but won't tell her younger siblings. IDK how much they really believe in it. It's just fun. I remember the excitement surrounding Santa when I was a kid. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh for crying out loud! Seriously?

Look at what has gone on in this stupid thread!  Let this post die a slow death.  Do we really need these types of ludicrous mommywars?  Aren't there enough big issues to argue over that we have to square off over Santa Claus?  Silly.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Not even. My kids get one Santa gift, the rest come from me. They don't get everything on their list. They behave because I tell them too and if they don't, their are consequences. No Santa sitting if they don't want too. And no one says you need to get all elaborate. We leave milk, cookies and carrots.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Quoting ambcortez:

So you don't do Santa because you think you HAVE to do all of the things you mentioned? Interesting... My kids believe in Santa and we do the Elf and yes, I'm glad we do, but most of those things I've never heard of or we just don't do it.

1. I don't NEED my kids to give me credit for shopping. That's not why I buy them things.

2. I don't NEED my kids to give me credit for buying, which is basically the same thing as shopping.

3. I don't NEED my kids to give me credit for wrapping. So you wrapped a ball... um. Big deal? There are also gift bags and boxes to put things in. Or make the ball look like a piece of candy with twisted ends. Woah.

4.  It's not like kids are unsupervised and leaving their children with a stranger while they continue shopping. Not that weird.

5. Luckily my kids are young and don't request the most expensive things. But I'm hoping by the time they reach the age to ask for a flat screen, they'll be too old to believe in Santa. And if anyone is getting a flat screen, it's Mama.

6. My kids never wrote letters to Santa.

7. We don't stalk Santa. Never heard of it, actually.

8. Z doesn't dress up.

9. We don't do reindeer crap.

10. The cookies are fun because I get to bake with my kids. It's quality time and letting them create something. Z and I get to watch a movie after the kids are in bed with an already prepared treat.

11. We don't like glitter. Vegetables also make a fun snack with a movie.

12. No fireplace here, but if there was, we wouldn't make ashy footprints.

13. If your kids are whining, that's on you. My kids appreciate what they have and don't whine for things they don't because that's how I taught them to behave.

14. Sadness, maybe. But it depends on how they find out and what you tell them.

15. My kids also behave out of love and respect because I taught them that, as well.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)