Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Soooo tired, and feeling under-appreciated

Posted by   + Show Post

Why does Christmas have to start so early? Especially when Cristmas Eve ends so late. I was up till about 1am wrapping the last bulky gifts (got creative wrapping an acoustic guitar..lol)... Then the kids woke us up at 5:45....yawn! I was bummed the kids didn't even make me a card or ornament (my favorite things to get in Christmas)....my DH is terrible at that. His response? "Yeah I ment to go get you a card and gift card from the grocery store yesterday but I forgot"...Maybe I'm just exhausted but it makes me sad that I spend months prepping for this holiday - even for hubby - and all I get is 'I forgot'. I mean I don't want expensive gifts - I'm super frugal - but even a colored picture is nice. Maybe I'll go back to bed and they can worry about cooking the Christmas dinner? 

by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (41-46):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, my dad had given me $50 to buy myself something, but I spent it toward my eldests 3ds, now I'm bummed I didn't actually spend it on me! 

Here a hug for you!

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My hubby woke me & DD up at 6:30 christmas morning. i think he was more excited for her to open gifts than she was. I didn't get anything either. DD (6) made my mom a couple of ornaments but NEVER once thought about mommy she even bought my mom a gift while she was out with my mil but not mommy. I even used my christmas gift to get her more presents. I know she had a great christmas & that is all that matters. She loved everything she got & this is the last christmas she will be an only child so it was worth it. Maybe my little boy will make mommy presents when he is big enough. lol :) Hubby didn't think about me either, not even a "gosh you are a great wife!"

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

hugs back to ya :)

I would love to have the money I spent to be able to buy some new jeans & stuff for myself but at this point I am so used to not getting anything it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yeah, my dad had given me $50 to buy myself something, but I spent it toward my eldests 3ds, now I'm bummed I didn't actually spend it on me! 

Here a hug for you!

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My hubby woke me & DD up at 6:30 christmas morning. i think he was more excited for her to open gifts than she was. I didn't get anything either. DD (6) made my mom a couple of ornaments but NEVER once thought about mommy she even bought my mom a gift while she was out with my mil but not mommy. I even used my christmas gift to get her more presents. I know she had a great christmas & that is all that matters. She loved everything she got & this is the last christmas she will be an only child so it was worth it. Maybe my little boy will make mommy presents when he is big enough. lol :) Hubby didn't think about me either, not even a "gosh you are a great wife!"

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Hubby was just medically retired from the Army, and we're waiting on the VA to start his retirement pay. Currently the army is paying a small portion of it, but once the VA picks up, then they cover everything...The problem is, the VA is slow. He had put in the expedited process papers, and then the government shut down... The fastest it can go is 3 months, which would have been this month...we're looking at probably the 6 month window... I'm glad he's out finally for medical reasons, but this was the wrost timing for him to be out all around, and not just because of the holidays.  We also can't any of the other assistance programs through the VA until he is actually fully processed in, which he isn't still and it's been a whole ton of craziness. At least he's processed into the medical portion for him. We've been at the VA ER way too many times already this month alone :(

I know what you mean too about some token, especially when they were making things for others. I was just doing that with the kids too, and they totally forgot me, but yesterday tehy spent hte day trying to make it up to me when they realized I didn't exactly get anything aside from the keyboard and mouse which they knew wasn't really for me lol. My oldest asked me what I really wanted and I told her a day without fighting between her and her brother. My youngest asks me if I'm sure and then tells me, "How about I just be adorable when I'm 5. I think I can do that better." (he's 4 lol). I got lots of laughs, which is all I can ask for yesterady :)

As far as the house - it's going on 4 yrs old this summer...I will never unless my life may depend on it, buy a Dan Ryan home ever again! There are soo many problems, and the warranties are crap and way too short lived. We're 90% positive there are pipes leaking. We can hear dripping when anything with water in the kitchen is turned on, but we can't pin point it, and there are no water spots on the ceiling yet to identify it either. Tons of electircal issues in the house, and all the kitchen appliances have either already been replaced, or need to be replaced... I won't even start on the issues that go on in the upstairs, those make me want to cry.

I hope you guys have a safe and crazy-free move (if thats possible) Good luck with it all!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Awww, I'm glad the kids got something. We've been in that position for the last few years - as my DH was laid off for 2 years. And we are moving in 3 weeks, which is why I said i didn't care so much about a gift, I'm waaaay too frugal to want them. But some token is nice, especially since the kids make things for everyone else, and we went out and spent $10 on what dad wanted. 

I sure hope everything in the house is fixed soon for ya! We've had a ton of issues with this current apartment, but until we had some $$ we were trapped here. Ugh. Hugs!

Quoting No_Difference:

I hope your day had gotten better for you.
This year for us, we almost didn't have a Christmas at all. Fortunatly, we have very awesome friends and neighbors who made sure the kids had gifts to open. We've been having electrical issues in our house with everything thats wireless...and in the kitchen the things that aren't wireless too :/. Our computer mouse and keyboard was having issues. You'd type half a sentence, and only 3 letters would show up, or the mouse on the screen wouldn't move even though you were moving the mouse... So for my birthday he got me a mouse and keyboard (which I didn't want...I was fine with the glitches that happened every once in awhile). The replacements work even less than the originial ones. I plugged the old ones back in, and so for Christmas, I got a mouse and keybaord...again... and again...I did NOT want another one. We're barely scrapping by at the moment, and that is the LAST thing we need. They may not work perfect, but they work. I'll live until we can afford to get really good quality ones that will work in this electrical vortex. So I now have 3 keyboards and 3 mouses/mice (??) that work just fine, just not here....
Since we weren't expecting gifts for the kids, or traveling to see family, and our family told us they couldn't make it to us, I wanted to make this Christmas special for the kids since they were super bummed. I made a ton of snowflakes to hang from the ceiling to make it seem like it was snowing inside since we don't have any outside, we made TONS of cookies, I got a bunch of craft stuff (most of it we already had, the rest I got at the dollar store...) so they could make styrofoam snowmen (since they couldn't with real snow), and snowman (or w/e holiday character they wanted really) ornaments. The whole time I'm trying to do this, Hubby is telling me how stupid it is, and how its stressing me out too much (I wouldn't have stressed if he'd had just stinking helped instead of being a jerk about it all)... And because I was getting moody over some of it, they kids didn't want to do it, and it became a total waste of time and energy, and of course Hubby had to say "I told you so," literally.
At the end of hte day though, the kids got gifts, and played to their hearts content minus electronics for once, and had a great day, so Christmas wasn't entirely ruined for me. I just pretended that Mr. Scrooge, I mean my Hubby, wasn't there at the end of the day so we could enjoy it more....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM
You really deserve it, the way you teach and how you live the frugal lifestyle saves a lot of money. Your family should acknowledge and appreciate what you do.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Thanks so much! I'm beginning to feel like a glutton for praise...lol..

Quoting Mommynay2: Sorry for the disappointments. I can relate, one thing I have to say is your posts helped me out a lot. I think you are very wise. I remember you telling me about the style of homeschooling and it is very efficient. I think you do a great job.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Good luck! I hope the VA gets their sh*** in gear soon! I'm hoping 2014 will be the last year I wait for my disability (as it's year 4 that I've been fighting for it). I hope your DH is doing ok medically. It's so hard to have to deal with the financial stress when in pain/sick. I feel for you guys! When DH was laid off our landlords raised our rent....twice! Lol. And we've dealt with a ton of crap from them ever since, so no matter the craziness of the move it will be a Billion times better than staying! 

Aww, it sounds like he's adorable already! Lol  that's so cute, but at least you can mark it on the calendar when he has to start 'trying' to get along with siblings...lol...

Quoting No_Difference:

Hubby was just medically retired from the Army, and we're waiting on the VA to start his retirement pay. Currently the army is paying a small portion of it, but once the VA picks up, then they cover everything...The problem is, the VA is slow. He had put in the expedited process papers, and then the government shut down... The fastest it can go is 3 months, which would have been this month...we're looking at probably the 6 month window... I'm glad he's out finally for medical reasons, but this was the wrost timing for him to be out all around, and not just because of the holidays.  We also can't any of the other assistance programs through the VA until he is actually fully processed in, which he isn't still and it's been a whole ton of craziness. At least he's processed into the medical portion for him. We've been at the VA ER way too many times already this month alone :(

I know what you mean too about some token, especially when they were making things for others. I was just doing that with the kids too, and they totally forgot me, but yesterday tehy spent hte day trying to make it up to me when they realized I didn't exactly get anything aside from the keyboard and mouse which they knew wasn't really for me lol. My oldest asked me what I really wanted and I told her a day without fighting between her and her brother. My youngest asks me if I'm sure and then tells me, "How about I just be adorable when I'm 5. I think I can do that better." (he's 4 lol). I got lots of laughs, which is all I can ask for yesterady :)

As far as the house - it's going on 4 yrs old this summer...I will never unless my life may depend on it, buy a Dan Ryan home ever again! There are soo many problems, and the warranties are crap and way too short lived. We're 90% positive there are pipes leaking. We can hear dripping when anything with water in the kitchen is turned on, but we can't pin point it, and there are no water spots on the ceiling yet to identify it either. Tons of electircal issues in the house, and all the kitchen appliances have either already been replaced, or need to be replaced... I won't even start on the issues that go on in the upstairs, those make me want to cry.

I hope you guys have a safe and crazy-free move (if thats possible) Good luck with it all!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Awww, I'm glad the kids got something. We've been in that position for the last few years - as my DH was laid off for 2 years. And we are moving in 3 weeks, which is why I said i didn't care so much about a gift, I'm waaaay too frugal to want them. But some token is nice, especially since the kids make things for everyone else, and we went out and spent $10 on what dad wanted. 

I sure hope everything in the house is fixed soon for ya! We've had a ton of issues with this current apartment, but until we had some $$ we were trapped here. Ugh. Hugs!

Quoting No_Difference:

This year for us, we almost didn't have a Christmas at all. Fortunatly, we have very awesome friends and neighbors who made sure the kids had gifts to open. We've been having electrical issues in our house with everything thats wireless...and in the kitchen the things that aren't wireless too :/. Our computer mouse and keyboard was having issues. You'd type half a sentence, and only 3 letters would show up, or the mouse on the screen wouldn't move even though you were moving the mouse... So for my birthday he got me a mouse and keyboard (which I didn't want...I was fine with the glitches that happened every once in awhile). The replacements work even less than the originial ones. I plugged the old ones back in, and so for Christmas, I got a mouse and keybaord...again... and again...I did NOT want another one. We're barely scrapping by at the moment, and that is the LAST thing we need. They may not work perfect, but they work. I'll live until we can afford to get really good quality ones that will work in this electrical vortex. So I now have 3 keyboards and 3 mouses/mice (??) that work just fine, just not here....
Since we weren't expecting gifts for the kids, or traveling to see family, and our family told us they couldn't make it to us, I wanted to make this Christmas special for the kids since they were super bummed. I made a ton of snowflakes to hang from the ceiling to make it seem like it was snowing inside since we don't have any outside, we made TONS of cookies, I got a bunch of craft stuff (most of it we already had, the rest I got at the dollar store...) so they could make styrofoam snowmen (since they couldn't with real snow), and snowman (or w/e holiday character they wanted really) ornaments. The whole time I'm trying to do this, Hubby is telling me how stupid it is, and how its stressing me out too much (I wouldn't have stressed if he'd had just stinking helped instead of being a jerk about it all)... And because I was getting moody over some of it, they kids didn't want to do it, and it became a total waste of time and energy, and of course Hubby had to say "I told you so," literally.
At the end of hte day though, the kids got gifts, and played to their hearts content minus electronics for once, and had a great day, so Christmas wasn't entirely ruined for me. I just pretended that Mr. Scrooge, I mean my Hubby, wasn't there at the end of the day so we could enjoy it more....

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Good luck to you too!!  My sister had that happened with her land lord when she was laid off too...it sucks :/  DH is doing okay for the most part now. 70% of his left lung is deteriorated, and he had multiple massive asthma attacks that his plethora of inhalers we have at home didn't help. The rest of his problems won't be able to be addressed until he's fully in the system, from my understanding. They keep up with his emergency needs and with his medications in the mean time tho, which is good for now.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Good luck! I hope the VA gets their sh*** in gear soon! I'm hoping 2014 will be the last year I wait for my disability (as it's year 4 that I've been fighting for it). I hope your DH is doing ok medically. It's so hard to have to deal with the financial stress when in pain/sick. I feel for you guys! When DH was laid off our landlords raised our rent....twice! Lol. And we've dealt with a ton of crap from them ever since, so no matter the craziness of the move it will be a Billion times better than staying! 

Aww, it sounds like he's adorable already! Lol  that's so cute, but at least you can mark it on the calendar when he has to start 'trying' to get along with siblings...lol...

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting No_Difference:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN