Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone in or near Smithfield Ohio?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 26 Replies

We are considering the possibility of moving to Smithfield, OH in the next couple of years. I'm wondering if anyone is from around there and can give me an idea of what homeschooling is like there?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowmoon
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I had to look that up on Wikipedia.   But dang some of those places in that area are tiny!  Here's a bump for you.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I'm in the southwestern part of Ohio, but that section is beautiful.  Pittsburgh is just over an hour away and has a ton of wonderful museums.  Cleveland and Columbus are both 2.5 away from there and offer other things to do as well.  I have no idea what the hs groups are like that way, but the towns I saw were smaller.

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Your State Home School Association gives a list of support groups in Ohio at the following link

Ohio Support Groups By Area Code

hopoe that helps, Pulcalani79

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you

Quoting romacox:

Your State Home School Association gives a list of support groups in Ohio at the following link

Ohio Support Groups By Area Code

hopoe that helps, Pulcalani79

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thank you.  I looked up the HS laws, but I'm curious - as a homeschooler do you feel like you're jumping through a lot of hoops or is it not too bad?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm in the southwestern part of Ohio, but that section is beautiful.  Pittsburgh is just over an hour away and has a ton of wonderful museums.  Cleveland and Columbus are both 2.5 away from there and offer other things to do as well.  I have no idea what the hs groups are like that way, but the towns I saw were smaller.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yes, it's pretty small.  I think it's considered a "village"

Quoting shadowmoon:

I had to look that up on Wikipedia.   But dang some of those places in that area are tiny!  Here's a bump for you.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We are also considering Ohio, but not for a few years yet.

You should try living in a "burrow".
The population was less than a hundred people and we actually knew just about every single one of them too. The atmosphere is much preferred but the shopping leaves something to be desired. lol
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Nope. I'm out here in Cali. But here's a bump!

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No, this is our first year though, so I'm not an expert like some other ladies.  I have had my friend (who is an accredited teacher) swing by and check out what we're doing a month ago.  She's going to write up our "we're on track" letter at the end of the year so my girls don't have to spend hours taking the Ohio standardized test.

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.  I looked up the HS laws, but I'm curious - as a homeschooler do you feel like you're jumping through a lot of hoops or is it not too bad?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I'm outside of Columbus.8)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN