Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone in or near Smithfield Ohio?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are considering the possibility of moving to Smithfield, OH in the next couple of years. I'm wondering if anyone is from around there and can give me an idea of what homeschooling is like there?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
It really isn't bad.I know it sounds tedious,but it is easy.Remember,in Ohio we aren't asking to homeschool,we are telling them we are.It's a fine,but very distinct line.8

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.  I looked up the HS laws, but I'm curious - as a homeschooler do you feel like you're jumping through a lot of hoops or is it not too bad?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm in the southwestern part of Ohio, but that section is beautiful.  Pittsburgh is just over an hour away and has a ton of wonderful museums.  Cleveland and Columbus are both 2.5 away from there and offer other things to do as well.  I have no idea what the hs groups are like that way, but the towns I saw were smaller.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM

How do you comply with their requirements? I'm currently in a state with minimal reporting requirements, so on the surface this seems a bit daunting

Quoting mem82: It really isn't bad.I know it sounds tedious,but it is easy.Remember,in Ohio we aren't asking to homeschool,we are telling them we are.It's a fine,but very distinct line.8

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.  I looked up the HS laws, but I'm curious - as a homeschooler do you feel like you're jumping through a lot of hoops or is it not too bad?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm in the southwestern part of Ohio, but that section is beautiful.  Pittsburgh is just over an hour away and has a ton of wonderful museums.  Cleveland and Columbus are both 2.5 away from there and offer other things to do as well.  I have no idea what the hs groups are like that way, but the towns I saw were smaller.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Let me turn on my big computer and show you the stuff I sent in. 8)

Quoting Pukalani79:

How do you comply with their requirements? I'm currently in a state with minimal reporting requirements, so on the surface this seems a bit daunting

Quoting mem82: It really isn't bad.I know it sounds tedious,but it is easy.Remember,in Ohio we aren't asking to homeschool,we are telling them we are.It's a fine,but very distinct line.8

Quoting Pukalani79:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Thank you

Quoting mem82: Let me turn on my big computer and show you the stuff I sent in. 8)

Quoting Pukalani79:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Here is what I sent in for my seventh grader. This is before I brushed it up and proof read it, but it didn't really change much.

Melissa M****- 2013/2014 - Grade 7 Curriculum Outline

Language Arts-

This year Melissa will be concentrating on building essay writing skills and information gathering while reading text. Many books, both fiction and non fiction will be used to do this.

We will also review:

-Parts of Speech

- Mechanics

-Research Skills

History

This year Melissa will be studying US History from Prehistory to the 1840s. The curriculum includes reading, essay writing, projects, comprehension, and geography.

Math

Math will be Pre Algebra. It includes:

-Algebraic Expressions and Integers

-Solving One Step Equations and Inequalities

-Decimals and Equations

-Factors, Fractions, and Exponents

-Operations with Fractions

-Ratios, Proportions, and Percents

-Solving Equations and Inequalities

-Linear Functions and Graphing

-Spatial Thinking

-Area and Volume

-Right Triangles in Algebra

-Data Analysis and Probability

-Nonlinear Functions and Polynomials

Science

Science will cover:

-The nature of Science and Technology

-properties and changes of Matter

-inside the Atom

-forces and changes in motion

-work and simple machines

-energy and energy resources

-waves, sound, and light

-rocks and minerals

-clues to Earth's past

-Earth's place in Space

-cells

-classifying plants

-plant processes

-classifying animals

-animal behavior

-the nonliving environment

- conserving life

-animal behavior

-our impact on land, air, and water

Science includes labs and videos.

All other subjects, such as Art and Health will be taught in a less formal way and in day to day life. Melissa also participates in many classes, including a weekly PE class, groups, and Scouts.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Melissa M***- 2013/2014 Curriculum List

Prentice Hall Mathematics Pre Algebra

Prentice Hall Mathematics Pre Algebra homework book

Harcourt Family Learning Language Arts Grade 7

The First Americans Pre History- 1600 by Joy Hakim

Making Thirteen Colonies by Joy Hakim

From Colonies to Country by Joy Hakim

The New Nation by Joy Hakim

Science Grade 7 by Glencoe Science

Science Notebook and Journal by Glencoe

Science Reading and Test Prep Grade 7 by Glencoe

Spectrum Geometry Grades 6-8

American History Smart Junior by The Princeton Review

Spectrum Algebra Grades 6-8

Each of these subjects will be supplemented with online lessons, videos, workbooks, library books, and our own personal library.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

That helps a lot.  Thank you.  Does your daughter do the standardized testing or do you have a teacher review it? Do you have to send in a portfolio of work samples?  Sorry, this is so new to me.  Here we send in a letter of intent that basically says "I'm homeschooling," take the standard test every so often and are done. No attendance tracking, portfolios, etc

Quoting mem82:

Here is what I sent in for my seventh grader. This is before I brushed it up and proof read it, but it didn't really change much.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I have stuff for my 3rd grader, too, if you want to see that.

Now, they can't ask me to PROVE that I followed this. They can't hold me to using this material. As a matter of fact, I've switched some of this because Missie needed some stuff changed. She also finished her Science in about 3months. At the end of the year, our assessor who happens to be our gym coach, sits down for about 45 minutes with the kids, looks over a few papers we brought, talks to the kids about what they liked this years, what they didn't, blah, blah, blah and then signs a paper he prints out that states the kids have proved they were taught this year. I send that in to the school board in August with the rest of my paperwork for the coming year. (So, I sent in the outline and material list for 7th grade with Missie's assessment from the end of her 6th grade year.) That's it. It isn't hard. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

You can have your child tested each year instead of an assessment. Missie has done both. What is Smithville's closest large city?

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately the closest large cities are in Pennsylvania or W.Virginia.  Probably the closest large city to Smithfield in Ohio would be Akron. About 2 hours away.  My dad knows a lot of the people in Smithfield, so I think I'll talk to him about finding someone to do the assessment.

You have helped me so much! Thank you, thank you thank you!!

Quoting mem82:

You can have your child tested each year instead of an assessment. Missie has done both. What is Smithville's closest large city?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)