Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone in or near Smithfield Ohio?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are considering the possibility of moving to Smithfield, OH in the next couple of years. I'm wondering if anyone is from around there and can give me an idea of what homeschooling is like there?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Replies (21-26):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad I could help. 8)

Quoting Pukalani79:

Unfortunately the closest large cities are in Pennsylvania or W.Virginia.  Probably the closest large city to Smithfield in Ohio would be Akron. About 2 hours away.  My dad knows a lot of the people in Smithfield, so I think I'll talk to him about finding someone to do the assessment.

You have helped me so much! Thank you, thank you thank you!!

Quoting mem82:

You can have your child tested each year instead of an assessment. Missie has done both. What is Smithville's closest large city?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:41 PM
I'm near Cincinnati. I don't think our laws are bad at all. We submit a letter of intent every year, and at the end of each year we have to have some sort of assessment done, which can be a portfolio, a test, etc. you turn that in with your letter of intent. (Not the assessment, just a paper signed by the assessor)

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.  I looked up the HS laws, but I'm curious - as a homeschooler do you feel like you're jumping through a lot of hoops or is it not too bad?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm in the southwestern part of Ohio, but that section is beautiful.  Pittsburgh is just over an hour away and has a ton of wonderful museums.  Cleveland and Columbus are both 2.5 away from there and offer other things to do as well.  I have no idea what the hs groups are like that way, but the towns I saw were smaller.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilostmy_keys
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I live in the Ohio valley and we are currently trying to run as fast as we can AWAY from here. We don't care for this area at all. I'm a "north of 70" gal myself. Our hs laws aren't bad here but the area is awful for families (my opinion.)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM
I'm sorry.LOL I'm in Columbus,right at 70.

Quoting ilostmy_keys:

I live in the Ohio valley and we are currently trying to run as fast as we can AWAY from here. We don't care for this area at all. I'm a "north of 70" gal myself. Our hs laws aren't bad here but the area is awful for families (my opinion.)

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Thank you.  In Oregon it seems like we do next to nothing.  A letter saying "I'm homeschooling" and standardized tests every so often.  Nothing beyond that. When I read OH laws, it seemed like a lot, but after talking to mem and hearing from others, it doesn't seem so bad at all.  Just different. :) 

Quoting Boobah: I'm near Cincinnati. I don't think our laws are bad at all. We submit a letter of intent every year, and at the end of each year we have to have some sort of assessment done, which can be a portfolio, a test, etc. you turn that in with your letter of intent. (Not the assessment, just a paper signed by the assessor)

Quoting Pukalani79:

Thank you.  I looked up the HS laws, but I'm curious - as a homeschooler do you feel like you're jumping through a lot of hoops or is it not too bad?

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Why don't you like it?

Quoting ilostmy_keys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)