Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you prepare for the New Year?

Posted by   + Show Post
I spend the week cleaning and re organizing?
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm drinking coffee and hoping the Good fairy cleans my house for me,lol.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I do a deep clean of the house in spring and fall. I enjoy the break of the holidays.

Over New Years, we just order chinese food, watch movies, have a pinata cake with sparklers, some led lit ballons, and do our wish jar. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Get some fireworks, black eyed peas and greens, that's about it.

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't do much in the way of prep....we are sick and Christmas was postponed with my MIL.  I will have to work like crazy between whenever we do Christmas and the start of school on the 6th.  I'm excited for our year to begin!!!  The kids are to.  I will be labeling folders and setting of school boxes and getting folders prepped. 

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Forgot to add that New Year's Eve is our anniversary....so we will find a sitter and go out to dinner and ring in the last few hours of the night with friends when we pick up the kids.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm off from work until the 31st so I plan to spend this week reorganizing our school area (it's a bookshelf and one of those plastic three drawer things and a big Rubbermaid bin...the bookshelf is soo full I think it may collapse!). I'm going to pull books from the bookshelf (as much as I hate to) that we aren't using, then it will hopefully be easier to find what we need when we need it. I'm also going to pick the things we need to put in the one tiny cabinet we have in the dining room where we typically do school and pull out the rest that takes up space. It's such a mess here, trying to hide the school stuff all the time, it's so frustrating. I really wish we had our own house so we could just turn the dining room into the school area I want it to be and not feel like mil is judging my mess everyday, lol.

I also would like to get a bunch more lesson planning done and actually start teaching my kids. Not that they aren't learning, but I am really just guiding and we were reviewing a lot in math. I think it's time for me to step it up in the teaching area and actually give some lessons especially in math. So I need to plan that out a bit. I'm hoping to be more organized and ahead, instead of planning each morning like I have been (which I don't think I would mind if I had all day with the kids, but I leave to work in the afternoons so I feel my time with them is limited and I shouldn't be planning when I should be teaching).
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM
No kidding? It's our anniversary too. 17 years - crazy!

We got married in Vegas because it was much cheaper than a traditional wedding. New Year's is crazy in Vegas & their second busiest day for weddings (just behind Valentines of course). I don't gamble but Vegas is fun for people watching.

Anyhow, Happy Anniversary!

Quoting coala:

Forgot to add that New Year's Eve is our anniversary....so we will find a sitter and go out to dinner and ring in the last few hours of the night with friends when we pick up the kids.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I am planning out the next six weeks of school. I find that if I plan much farther ahead than that, we get off course too easily (we miss days due to sickness and then struggle to keep pace, or they work faster than I thought and we aren't even using the plans anymore). 

I also need to go through a bunch of stuff in our school room and toss it/give it away. 

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Same to you!!!

Quoting TidewaterClan: No kidding? It's our anniversary too. 17 years - crazy!

We got married in Vegas because it was much cheaper than a traditional wedding. New Year's is crazy in Vegas & their second busiest day for weddings (just behind Valentines of course). I don't gamble but Vegas is fun for people watching.

Anyhow, Happy Anniversary!

Quoting coala:

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I don't! My biggest worry is getting the year right when writing checks for the first month or so!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN