Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who is starting a new "year" (school year) in January?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

We're going head on Kindergarten with DS4 this January. I've switched out some curricula from the fall that I wasn't fond of, read up on the latin centered curriculum (my new inspiration, with the caveat that I'm beefing up maths and, eventually, science, veering from what they suggest), and we're almost ready to go!

Getting rid of Phonics Pathways and instead using Reading Rescue 1-2-3 with Bob Books and maybe a Catholic reader from Seton Press. <---- reading/phonics

Coupling Miquon with Verbal Math Lessons, Level 1. <----- maths

National Geographic Kids <----- sciences/nature study

Keeping our music, as is (Making Music, Praying Twice).

Nixing formal religion, and instead doing lots of fun saint stories and Catholic coloring books.

Keeping our memory work guide.

Moving foward with Handwriting Without Tears for handwriting.

Still trying to figure out Latin.

Continuing on with What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know as our quasi-base guide.

Anyone else switching things up almost entirely, or moving into a "new year"?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 27, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Shortly after the new year my dd should be through her math & science textbooks. So I'm plotting what to replace those with. I've got all levels of algerbra, and several sciences...environmental, biology, pre biology, physical...and so on. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Somewhat. I'm starting Missie in Chemistry but I am still searching for the perfect curriculum. Theo is also going to be spending more time in a prek or kindergarten type format.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM
No, not really, but I am always using new material throughout the year anyways.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I guess I am essentiall with my 4 yr old. He finished all of his books we started with for the most part, and we're moving up to the next level. Math, he's starting the Alpha book in Math U See (and I have a feeling he's going to fly through that one too...I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes it at the end of our year), All About Reading and Spelling, he's almost finished with, I just have to wait until we get more money to order the next level for it, so in the mean time, we'll be doing a bunch of games in its place and reviewing what we've gone over (I really hope he doesn't get bored during the wait...) He's just about finished his Handwriting Without Tears book since he insists on doing 2 pages a day. We're going to repeat the Kingergarten book though  for this year, just for the sake of practice. For science, we're reviewing astronomy more at his level, and we're doing a bunch of geology and biology (we'll be starting our indoor seeds soon for the garden).

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

He's the same age as my son, it looks like.

What astronomy resources are you using for this age?

Quoting No_Difference:

I guess I am essentiall with my 4 yr old. He finished all of his books we started with for the most part, and we're moving up to the next level. Math, he's starting the Alpha book in Math U See (and I have a feeling he's going to fly through that one too...I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes it at the end of our year), All About Reading and Spelling, he's almost finished with, I just have to wait until we get more money to order the next level for it, so in the mean time, we'll be doing a bunch of games in its place and reviewing what we've gone over (I really hope he doesn't get bored during the wait...) He's just about finished his Handwriting Without Tears book since he insists on doing 2 pages a day. We're going to repeat the Kingergarten book though  for this year, just for the sake of practice. For science, we're reviewing astronomy more at his level, and we're doing a bunch of geology and biology (we'll be starting our indoor seeds soon for the garden).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

We are adding in Handwriting Without Tears and changing from typing to codeing.  He will be done with 2nd grade English in a couple of weeks so we will be moving to 3rd grade shortly and we are changing up math. 

letstalk747
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

i start the next grade in september

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My daughter (9) just finished up astronomy using Real Science 4 Kids (which I wasn't super impressed with so we're doing astonomy again in the spring), so I'm loosely basing his stuff off of what we went over with her. We weren't able to do the labs with her this past semester so we're doing those. We're going to make a comet with ice and rock chunks in a bucket (we might still do this this winter yet if I can get a bucket that isn't already frozen lol) so we can "observe" the composition of a comet. We're going to take chalk and we're going to make a model of the solar system to scale on our street. With Riley, we play a hopscotch type game. On the side walk, we draw circles instead of the usual hopscotch squares, to represent the planets, and then when he has a "metorite strike" (tossing the rock), he says the name of the planets he jumps across. Riley likes word searches, so I made word searches with all the key words (planet names, sun, asteroid, metor, metorite, etc). WIth Jamie she had to study 3 astronomers, with Riley I'm going to get a few books from the library on different astronomers and instead of him writing something, he'll just tell me and we'll create a "report" together on whwat he remembers about them. The fun one - both kids will be getting clay, and get to sculpt an alien, and tell me which planet it lives, and for Jamie, she'll tell me why it fits on that planet and what adaptations it has to live there, and for  Riley, he gets to tell me a story (with his overactive imagination) of what his alien does on his planet.

I know I have more stuffs...but I've miss placed it while doing a mad dash to get the house clean for our Christmas party with the neighbors... I'll let you know more of it when I find it if you're still interested :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

He's the same age as my son, it looks like.

What astronomy resources are you using for this age?

Quoting No_Difference:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)