Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help! My Excellent Reader No Longer Wants To!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 5 and has been fluently reading for about a year - he easily reads at a first grade level, and has always asked for more to read. He's always loved it! Now, quite suddenly, he says he doesn't want to read any more and that he hates it. What!? I've never pushed, and have always kept it short, sweet, and informal.  Why this sudden change of attitude? And just before the age when he'd be starting Kindergarten in a regular school...very frustrating and disheartening...the only time he still delights in reading is if I write him little notes around the house, or even on the white-board. But he refuses to read books anymore :(

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (11-12):
dazguti
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
No, i still read to him quite a lot- spread out over the course of the day it's about 60 minutes or more. But I do appreciate all the thoughts and ideas!

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Maybe he misses you reading books to him.

Beniegenie
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM
If there are new words (special sounds) you are trying to introduce, help him write stories. Something my son loved and was so proud of at age 5 was his drawing notebook. He would draw pics on one page and on the page beside it he would write a story and ask me how to spell words. You can make suggestions about the story that would add words that you want to introduce, let's say you a word with CH-beach, or OO-moon, then later he'll love reading it over and over. My son still reads his book that he made when he was 5. He now sees mistakes in spelling on the pages he didn't ask for help with :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)