Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How are you Gorgeous ladies doing today? :)

Share.

undefined

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (31-36):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We never made it to the movies but we did watch a movie here & then played a video game as a family.

Quoting kirbymom: Awesome! We're accomplishing things too! Must be a brain wave link going on or something. :)

So did you treat yourselves to the drive in movie?

Quoting usmom3:

Good afternoon. We are being productive today! We moved our aquarium to its new home on the new counter Hubby put in a few weeks ago. We are cleaning house & doing all the things we have neglected for the past week. Later we might treat ourselves to a movie at the drive-in.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Since it was 20 yes ago and I can't quite remember what my milk and I did, here is something that is similar to what we did.

Ingredients...
2 pounds watermelon3 cups white sugar
3 lemons - rinsed, sliced and seeded
Adjust Servings

Directions...
Remove the green rind of the melon, and dice the white part into small cubes, leaving the red flesh mostly intact. Remove seeds.
In a heavy stockpot, combine 4 cups of the prepared watermelon, sugar and lemons. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and let the mixture boil slowly for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The temperature of the mixture should be at 220 degrees F (105 degrees C) so the jam will set.
Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the jam into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
Share It

Reviews (7)

Rate This Recipe
willbake4shoes
willbake4shoes

Jun. 27, 2006
This is a good recipe for a different kind of preserve. It is beautiful to look at. I made a few changes though, and would make a few more the next time I make it. First, I used one orange and one lemon. Second, I only simmered for one hour and it was perfect. It set up beautifully. It has a good flavor but it is really more of a marmalade. The other thing is that when I was through simmering, the lemon and orange were still pretty big so I took my kitchen shears and cut through the mixture until the peel was nice size; I will do this before the simmering next time. Other than that, if you are looking for a "different" recipe, then you should definitely try this one!
cmartcookie
cmartcookie

May. 10, 2007
With adjustment for cooking only 1 hour (even at high elevation, 7200 ft.), this came out just fine. Doesn't taste a lot like watermelon - more like citrus "marmelade"; but that could be because the watermelon I used wasn't that good to begin with - which is why I used it! As recipe is written, it only made a little more than 3 half-pints. I made the first batch with 2 lemons, 1 orange. I'm now cooking a 2nd batch, which I doubled, using 1 grapefruit, 2 oranges and 2 lemons. I ran all the citrus through the food processor using the grating attachment. Seeds, membranes mostly stayed above the grater; but additional seeds and membranes can be easily picked out of the pot while cooking.
MASHWORTH
MASHWORTH

Jun. 12, 2004
I think this recipe is wrong - it seems as though the mixture should boil for only 1 hour. I followed the directions to a T and after 2 hours the mixture was very burned. I think with only 1 hour of boil time it would be perfect. May try again!
More Reviews
Similar Recipes

Watermelon Fire and Ice Salsa
(239)
Grandma's Pear Preserves
(67)
Grandma's Pear Preserves
Watermelon Salsa
(40)
Watermelon Salsa
Watermelon Vodka Slush
(29)
Watermelon Vodka Slush
Strawberry Preserves I
(31)
Strawberry Preserves I
Watermelon Sherbet
(17)
Watermelon Sherbet
Nutrition

Amount Per Serving (40 total)

Calories66 cal
3%
Fat0.1 g
< 1%
Carbs17.6 g
6%
Protein0.2 g
< 1%
Cholesterol0 mg
0%
Sodium< 1 mg
< 1%
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
<
previous recipe:

>
next recipe:
Simple Watermelon Sorbet

Full SiteContact UsLegal
© 2013 Allrecipes.com
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Darned goat! That was probably 30# wasted!

I'll have to try making some marmalade. The girls would enjoy that. Makes me think of Paddington Bear. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thanks!  The whole story with the goat (as quickly as I can) is that she was supposed to be slaughtered for meat, so we seperated her from the boy.  She got out (*surprise, surprise* end sarcasm) and got pregnant.  So we decided to give her another chance to kid.  And she dies.  Grr!  Should have culled her even with her pregnant, at least we'd have gotten meat out of her.

The boys are in love with marmalade.  I made a tiny batch last year with the leftover Christmas oranges and it was gone very quickly.  I keep buying clementines specifically for a nice sized batch, but when I go to the fridge half the bag is gone!  At least they saved the peals for my citris vinegar.  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It's good to see you Blue!

So sorry about your goat.  That's sad, especially when she was in labor.

The marmalade sounds great!  I've never made any.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The kids aren't too upset by losing animals, they really seem to get the whole death is part of life thing better than we do!

I'll ask him if he wants to soak and read when he gets home.  Maybe he'd even like some chamomile tea.

At the moment I'm not actually canning anything.  I have a few cleaning supplies soaking... orange peals in vinegar needs to sit for a month.... and a few tinctures and medicinal vinegars soaking that will be ready around the next full moon.  The boys are on me to do some marmalade, but they need to actually stop eating the oranges so fast for me to have enough to make them!  LOL

Quoting kirbymom: Oh no! I'm sorry that you lost a goat! Hopefully you don't feel the loss too much. :( Hopefully the kids aren't too upset either. If they are, maybe being distracted by The starting of school will be helpful. Of course the kids aren't going to admit they are looking forward to starting school! lol They wouldn't be kids then. :)

Hubby definitely works hard, that's for sure. Maybe he could use a good long soak in the tub with his favorite reading/music material and then a good quiet bedtime movie with his wonderfully sweet family. :)
Enjoy your nicely quiet break. I hope it lasts as long as is needed. :)
btw...

What are you canning right now?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Awe thanks!

My parents are great, they are looking forward to some warmer weather far from here!  Hubby is still stressing, feeling as though he didn't do enough in business for this year.  I know how hard he worked, but he is hard on himself.  The kids are not ready to start school work again!  LOL Actually they are, but they won't admit it out loud.  The farm is good, but we lost a goat in childbirth on Christmas Eve.  She was only 2 yo and was having triplets.  Unfortunately we were 2 hours away at my parent's house while she had troubles.  When we got home it was too late to help (she shouldn't have been in labor for a week or so, so there really is not much more we could have done, but it bothers me to lose one of my girls).  Business is slow.  People don't want to think about solar in the winter.  DH is putting a system on his brother's house.  It's actually why I have a bit of time this evening, the kids are playing wii games and putting together legos and he is off building.  It's nicely quiet here!  

How is your move going?  All settled in yet?  Any big plans for the new year?

Quoting kirbymom: Yes, get all the relaxation you can as the New Year is just around the corner. Besides, you deserve it!
How's your parents doing? Hubby? Kids? Farm? Bizness?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We spent the last day with my parents before they trekk off to Florida for a month of sunshine and beaches!  I finally got a chance to sit down and take a break from all the Christmas Crazy that came my way!  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Aww ...
I hope everyone had some fun then. It sounds like you did. :)

Quoting usmom3:

We never made it to the movies but we did watch a movie here & then played a video game as a family.

Quoting kirbymom: Awesome! We're accomplishing things too! Must be a brain wave link going on or something. :)So did you treat yourselves to the drive in movie?
Quoting usmom3:

Good afternoon. We are being productive today! We moved our aquarium to its new home on the new counter Hubby put in a few weeks ago. We are cleaning house & doing all the things we have neglected for the past week. Later we might treat ourselves to a movie at the drive-in.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM

That sounds good!  I saved the recipe in my drawer to try next summer!  Thanks!

Quoting kirbymom: Since it was 20 yes ago and I can't quite remember what my milk and I did, here is something that is similar to what we did.

Ingredients...
2 pounds watermelon3 cups white sugar
3 lemons - rinsed, sliced and seeded
Adjust Servings

Directions...
Remove the green rind of the melon, and dice the white part into small cubes, leaving the red flesh mostly intact. Remove seeds.
In a heavy stockpot, combine 4 cups of the prepared watermelon, sugar and lemons. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and let the mixture boil slowly for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The temperature of the mixture should be at 220 degrees F (105 degrees C) so the jam will set.
Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the jam into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
Share It

Reviews (7)

Rate This Recipe
willbake4shoes
willbake4shoes

Jun. 27, 2006
This is a good recipe for a different kind of preserve. It is beautiful to look at. I made a few changes though, and would make a few more the next time I make it. First, I used one orange and one lemon. Second, I only simmered for one hour and it was perfect. It set up beautifully. It has a good flavor but it is really more of a marmalade. The other thing is that when I was through simmering, the lemon and orange were still pretty big so I took my kitchen shears and cut through the mixture until the peel was nice size; I will do this before the simmering next time. Other than that, if you are looking for a "different" recipe, then you should definitely try this one!
cmartcookie
cmartcookie

May. 10, 2007
With adjustment for cooking only 1 hour (even at high elevation, 7200 ft.), this came out just fine. Doesn't taste a lot like watermelon - more like citrus "marmelade"; but that could be because the watermelon I used wasn't that good to begin with - which is why I used it! As recipe is written, it only made a little more than 3 half-pints. I made the first batch with 2 lemons, 1 orange. I'm now cooking a 2nd batch, which I doubled, using 1 grapefruit, 2 oranges and 2 lemons. I ran all the citrus through the food processor using the grating attachment. Seeds, membranes mostly stayed above the grater; but additional seeds and membranes can be easily picked out of the pot while cooking.
MASHWORTH
MASHWORTH

Jun. 12, 2004
I think this recipe is wrong - it seems as though the mixture should boil for only 1 hour. I followed the directions to a T and after 2 hours the mixture was very burned. I think with only 1 hour of boil time it would be perfect. May try again!
More Reviews
Similar Recipes

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yep!  But I learned my lesson, I'll trust my instincts more next year.

Maybe I'll read some Paddington to the boys and have them help me make it!  They'll be more invested that way!  Thanks for the idea!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Darned goat! That was probably 30# wasted!

I'll have to try making some marmalade. The girls would enjoy that. Makes me think of Paddington Bear. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thanks!  The whole story with the goat (as quickly as I can) is that she was supposed to be slaughtered for meat, so we seperated her from the boy.  She got out (*surprise, surprise* end sarcasm) and got pregnant.  So we decided to give her another chance to kid.  And she dies.  Grr!  Should have culled her even with her pregnant, at least we'd have gotten meat out of her.

The boys are in love with marmalade.  I made a tiny batch last year with the leftover Christmas oranges and it was gone very quickly.  I keep buying clementines specifically for a nice sized batch, but when I go to the fridge half the bag is gone!  At least they saved the peals for my citris vinegar.  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It's good to see you Blue!

So sorry about your goat.  That's sad, especially when she was in labor.

The marmalade sounds great!  I've never made any.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The kids aren't too upset by losing animals, they really seem to get the whole death is part of life thing better than we do!

I'll ask him if he wants to soak and read when he gets home.  Maybe he'd even like some chamomile tea.

At the moment I'm not actually canning anything.  I have a few cleaning supplies soaking... orange peals in vinegar needs to sit for a month.... and a few tinctures and medicinal vinegars soaking that will be ready around the next full moon.  The boys are on me to do some marmalade, but they need to actually stop eating the oranges so fast for me to have enough to make them!  LOL

Quoting kirbymom: Oh no! I'm sorry that you lost a goat! Hopefully you don't feel the loss too much. :( Hopefully the kids aren't too upset either. If they are, maybe being distracted by The starting of school will be helpful. Of course the kids aren't going to admit they are looking forward to starting school! lol They wouldn't be kids then. :)

Hubby definitely works hard, that's for sure. Maybe he could use a good long soak in the tub with his favorite reading/music material and then a good quiet bedtime movie with his wonderfully sweet family. :)
Enjoy your nicely quiet break. I hope it lasts as long as is needed. :)
btw...

What are you canning right now?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Awe thanks!

My parents are great, they are looking forward to some warmer weather far from here!  Hubby is still stressing, feeling as though he didn't do enough in business for this year.  I know how hard he worked, but he is hard on himself.  The kids are not ready to start school work again!  LOL Actually they are, but they won't admit it out loud.  The farm is good, but we lost a goat in childbirth on Christmas Eve.  She was only 2 yo and was having triplets.  Unfortunately we were 2 hours away at my parent's house while she had troubles.  When we got home it was too late to help (she shouldn't have been in labor for a week or so, so there really is not much more we could have done, but it bothers me to lose one of my girls).  Business is slow.  People don't want to think about solar in the winter.  DH is putting a system on his brother's house.  It's actually why I have a bit of time this evening, the kids are playing wii games and putting together legos and he is off building.  It's nicely quiet here!  

How is your move going?  All settled in yet?  Any big plans for the new year?

Quoting kirbymom: Yes, get all the relaxation you can as the New Year is just around the corner. Besides, you deserve it!
How's your parents doing? Hubby? Kids? Farm? Bizness?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We spent the last day with my parents before they trekk off to Florida for a month of sunshine and beaches!  I finally got a chance to sit down and take a break from all the Christmas Crazy that came my way!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)