Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schools, Technology and Cancer Links. WWYD?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 22 Replies
I saw this this morning as I signed in. It has weighed on me and I just wondered, are we EVER going to understand things of this magnitude?

If my child was suddenly and unexplainably diagnosed with cancer and died 11 months later, I would be searching high and low for answers that may or may not exist. I would be so heartbroken that I wouldn't know where to turn, what to do with myself, or how to create a positive situation out of a heartbreaking, horrifying one. So I can't fault these parents from New Zealand for blaming the death of their 10-year-old son, who was diagnosed with brain cancer less than one year before he lost his battle with the disease, on their son's school's Wifi and iPad usage. But, in spite of some surprising coincidences that have been revealed, they may be taking things too far by fighting all schools in their district to get rid of technology.

When doctors found tumors on Ethan Wyman's brain, they told his parents they were about 3 months old. The young boy had been issued an iPad as part of his school's 1:1 education initiative 4 months prior to the doctors' discovery. Ethan's father says that, while he doesn't blame the school's technological advancements for causing his son's cancer, he can't help but feel like it's too big a coincidence to ignore.

Ethan's parents are making a big push to the school board to remove all iPads and Wifi connections from local schools. They reportedly have two children who still attend the school, which may explain why they feel passionately about this -- or maybe they are really just trying to do something they feel is positive in order to counter the awful event that very recently shattered their lives.

But the Wyman's may find themselves fighting an impossible battle. Both the New Zealand Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education find no link between Wifi and cancer. And, though we should remain skeptical since a few studies have found a possible link between cell phones and cancer, the majority claim tech is safe enough to use in schools.

We also shouldn't downplay the important role tech is occupying in schools. In this country, Common Core Learning Standards practically require that computers are incorporated into lessons. Students who use devices like iPads have access to a world of information that reaches far beyond their textbooks.

Given the lack of scientific proof here, it seems like the benefits of technology outweigh the possible harmful effects. I feel for these parents and understand why they are making this effort to change their schools, but I'm not sure this is the right battle to fight.

Do you think schools should get rid of technology because of a possible link to cancer?

undefined

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

If there truly was a link, wouldn't we be seeing an exponential increase in brain cancer rates over the last ten years? And wouldn't it be steadily increasing each year, as more public places provide wifi access, and more people spend time on phones and tablets? I haven't heard of any findings like that. It's very sad what happened to their son and I agree, I'd probably be searching for a solution anywhere I could, but I don't agree that the answer is to eliminate technology from schools.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM
This is exactly how I feel.

Quoting hipmomto3:

If there truly was a link, wouldn't we be seeing an exponential increase in brain cancer rates over the last ten years? And wouldn't it be steadily increasing each year, as more public places provide wifi access, and more people spend time on phones and tablets? I haven't heard of any findings like that. It's very sad what happened to their son and I agree, I'd probably be searching for a solution anywhere I could, but I don't agree that the answer is to eliminate technology from schools.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this! We have WiFi in our house because the only internet we can get is through wireless so we have signals coming in & getting distributed to all the computers & devices all the time! We never turn off the router so it sends a signal 24-7. I also know we are not the only people to do that, library's, restaurants & book stores offer free wifi all the time!

I am sad for that family but I think they need to be looking else where for the answer!

Quoting debramommyof4: This is exactly how I feel.

Quoting hipmomto3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not saying your wrong but, I know that there was cloning going on 10 years before the public was informed about cloning. I also know that in the early 80'a the ability to eave's drop from over a hundred feet from a helicopter was being performed by the military. I know too that the cancer cases in Nevada were over a much longer period of years "before" the information was released to the public and the info that Was released was talking about a much shorter period of time than they want the public to know.
These are just a few that I can remember off the too of my head.

It just leaves room for thought in my opinion. kwim?

Quoting hipmomto3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM
But it IS scary to think this is a possibility.

Quoting usmom3:

I agree with this! We have WiFi in our house because the only internet we can get is through wireless so we have signals coming in & getting distributed to all the computers & devices all the time! We never turn off the router so it sends a signal 24-7. I also know we are not the only people to do that, library's, restaurants & book stores offer free wifi all the time!

I am sad for that family but I think they need to be looking else where for the answer!

Quoting debramommyof4: This is exactly how I feel.
Quoting hipmomto3:

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this

I do not know if technology can cause cancer, but is is worth keeping an eye on. But I do know:

"There’s a myriad of chemicals in conventionally produced food,” says Craig Minowa, environmental scientist with the Organic Consumers Association, a nonprofit advocacy group. Although each has passed its own safety review, Minowa points out that “most of the studies on safety are done or supported by the companies themselves.”

So what are the health effects of these unwanted ingredients?

Injecting hormones into young livestock can make them gain weight faster. More weight means more meat, which means more profit for the producer. Hormones also increase the production of milk by dairy cows.

Hormones have been used for decades in the meat and dairy industries. Synthetic estrogen's and testosterone are the most common. Typically, farmers implant a pellet in a cow’s ear at an early age; it releases hormones throughout the animal’s life.

Initial concerns about estrogen-injected cows centered on a compound called diethylstilbestrol (DES). Nearly all beef cattle were treated with DES in the 1950s and 1960s. DES was also used as medicine, given to pregnant women to prevent miscarriages.

source:  http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/safer-food-healthier-you

Why The Amish Don't Get Sick:  What We Can Learn

The Importance Of Gut Bacteria To Inhance The Imune System.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Great post! Thanks for the resources at the end too.

I wish more people knew this.

Quoting romacox:

I do not know if technology can cause cancer, but is is worth keeping an eye on. But I do know:

"There’s a myriad of chemicals in conventionally produced food,” says Craig Minowa, environmental scientist with the Organic Consumers Association, a nonprofit advocacy group. Although each has passed its own safety review, Minowa points out that “most of the studies on safety are done or supported by the companies themselves.”

So what are the health effects of these unwanted ingredients?

Injecting hormones into young livestock can make them gain weight faster. More weight means more meat, which means more profit for the producer. Hormones also increase the production of milk by dairy cows.

Hormones have been used for decades in the meat and dairy industries. Synthetic estrogen's and testosterone are the most common. Typically, farmers implant a pellet in a cow’s ear at an early age; it releases hormones throughout the animal’s life.

Initial concerns about estrogen-injected cows centered on a compound called diethylstilbestrol (DES). Nearly all beef cattle were treated with DES in the 1950s and 1960s. DES was also used as medicine, given to pregnant women to prevent miscarriages.

source:  http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/safer-food-healthier-you

Why The Amish Don't Get Sick:  What We Can Learn

The Importance Of Gut Bacteria To Inhance The Imune System.  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Cancer is linked more with diet and how you take care of yourself. Cancer is caused by a break down in our immune system. Our immune system is affected by a lot of different things. I know people that have cured their cancer by diet alone. I feel for this family but I think the problem came from elsewhere.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I think the reason there is a link between the use of advanced technology and cancer is because of the radio waves that are being emitted at such close ranges to the human brain. There have been a few cases where when cell phones first came out, that a few people developed cancer,I don't remember where, and even died too I believe. So, since then, there have been concerns and warranted warnings thereafter. The only thing is that makes this look like technology isn't at fault is the fact that there aren't enough cases that have been attributed to this before. Maybe because doctors just aren't looking for this specific type of connection. I don't know. It could be... it could not be. In either case, this is a sad situation for this family.

Quoting jen2150: Cancer is linked more with diet and how you take care of yourself. Cancer is caused by a break down in our immune system. Our immune system is affected by a lot of different things. I know people that have cured their cancer by diet alone. I feel for this family but I think the problem came from elsewhere.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Two points.

1. We have a friend who is an ER doctor and he will NOT put a cell phone next to his head. He got one of those bright red "Commissioner Gordon" type phones with a cord, that he connects to his cell phone which is about 3 feet away, and he'll use it that way, only.

2. MOST milk, even non-organic, in the US is not produced with synthetic hormones. Even Walmart and Aldi store brands state their farmers do not use bovine growth hormones. 

No one knows what causes most cancers, that is the scary thing. And some people just get them because it's in their genes to get them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)