Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What Do You Do For Your Child's Food Health And Food Safety.

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: How Important Is Organic Food?

Options:

Very Important

Not Important

Some What Important

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

What are you doing to make sure your children are eating healthy food? 

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

We make most of our own.  What we buy, we make sure it is organic.  We cover nutrition very heavily in our school work.  And we are very conscientious about loading half or more of their plates (and ours, of course) with veggies and fruits.  Very little processed foods come into the house (in fact I have a hard time thinking of any other than whole wheat flour and rolled oats)

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

We always did balanced, natural meals but organics are usually not something we feel we can afford. I wish we could.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this
We are going to start our own garden this spring. But I do not buy all organic from the grocery store. I do try cooking from scratch.
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I am like the others, we buy organic when we can but it is very pricey here. I make as much as I can from scratch though so I have control on what goes in to the food!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I make most of what we way from scratch. I would buy more organic, but it is out-stinking-rageous!!
You should try our salads. Celery, onions, green olives, shredded carrot, black olives and maybe a few cute up pickles too with either ranch dressing or bluecheese dressing! Oh yeah, I forgot, we also put in chickpeas. Talk about yummilicious! :)
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like I know a good amount about food, its production, and its nutrtional value/environmental impact/price comparison.

We buy almost no organic foods except salad greens and cold cereal. We buy locally raised, grass-fed beef either directly from a farmer or at a grocery co-op that acts as a go-between for their sales. Otherwise, nope.

We drink hormone free milk but not organic. The farmers have to pay SO much for the certification and jump through so many hoops, that drives the prices waaay up. We used to buy raw milk from a local farmer who was certified organic, and he sold his surplus milk to Organic Valley (he earned 2x as much seling it directly to consumers though so he sold most of it that way, and once a week the OV valley truck would pull up and empty out whatever was still in the tank). He decided to skip the certification one year after they raised the cost another $1,000. It just wasn't worth it. He didn't change a thing about how he ran his farm, but couldn't afford the certification expense.

The milk we get now is conventional. Either at Walmart or Aldi and runs $1.90/gallon, and both places sell hormone-free milk. We were paying $8.50 per gallon for raw milk. It was tasty, but once our son could digest pasteurized dairy, we decided to cut that expense.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM
We buy organic lettuce, but like the other ladies said it's so expensive to go whole hog. We do most of our cooking from scratch. When I was nursing little dd she was dairy & soy intolerant. She outgrew that (luckily! ) when she was a year old, but we completely changed our eating habits and had to shop the perimeter of the grocery (fresh produce, meat, dairy, and frozen produce). We've kept that up.

There is an organic store here that has the BEST chocolate milk from an Ohio dairy. It even comes in a glass jug that we return for a deposit. I keep trying to tell the girls it's only for adults but they don't believe me. It tastes like melted ice cream. We don't buy it too often because it's drink it all at once good. :)
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Healthy eating is very important in our home. We will still sometimes eat out or have some snacks in the home, but the majority of what we eat is a whole food based diet.

katyq
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Organic only ,except for dry beans because I haven't been able to find organic dry beans locally.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Some items, it's almost unwise to pay extra for organic because they aren't treated that much with pesticides anyway, or you never eat the portion that was exposed to chemicals. Of course if a person is buying organic because of a deep-rooted belief in the sanctity of the earth and avoidance of chemicals on principal, that's a different matter. But from a health standpoint, there are certain fruits and vegetables where organic really  matters because they are heavily treated with chemicals (I believe strawberries tops the list; unfortunately organic strawberries are nearly impossible to find here and on the rare occasion you do see them, they are $6 a pound and moldy). I believe Environmental Watch Group has a list of both the ones most treated and the ones least treated.

Aldi, surprisingly, often has organic produce (apples, lettuce greens, sometimes a few others) at a really good price. If the price difference isn't that much and the quality is the same, I will buy organic when it's available. But I won't drive to various stores or pay twice as much for organic. We eat Nature Path Pumpking Flax cereal, which is organic, and we get it at Aldii for $2.99/box. It's almost the only granola I can eat with my nut allergies anyway, so it's just a bonus that it's organic. :)

I know some families who are all gung ho on organics, yet they buy $5 boxes of Newman's Own organic prepackaged cookies, or organic Froot Loops, that kind of thing. I'd rather feed my children conventionally produced apples and sun butter than organic Froot Loops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN