Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Just One Child…Your Thoughts?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have a 13 year old daughter, as well as a 10 year old daughter.  The ten year old loves her school and doesn't seem to be having any trouble with bullying.  My 13 year old, however, is getting bullied.  She loves her teachers but the bullying is getting out of hand. She is also getting more serious in ballet and wants to take more classes.  I am aware of the homeschooling laws in my state, so I don't need help with that.  What are your thoughts on homeschooling just one of your kids.  I talked to both of them, and they seem fine with it.  I do not have an SO, but I think I could do it.  What are your thoughts on this subject?  THank you in advance.  :)

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi and welcome! I homeschool all three of mine, but I know women both on this board and in real life who homeschool just one or two of their children and it works very well for their families.  If there is no rivalry or contention about the situation, then I think you should go for it!  :-)  

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like your whole family is in agreement...go for it.  As for your ability to do it, where there is a will there is a way.   connecting  with support groups in your area would be most beneficial to you and your young teen. 

welcome to cafemom

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

First make sure you clear it with her father; in most states, both parents need to agree on it, even if you have physical custody.

With that said, I'm sure it can be done. I'm only homeschooling one of mine right now. I do think you need to make it a priority that she is able to see friends and participate in activities, even more so if she is the only one at home.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Bethbeth
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I know a family who homeschooled one child and the other went to school. They are now both in college and doing great. It worked great for them.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I only have two of my three at home. It works out well for us :-)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Hello. :) Welcome to the group. :)

If you and your girls are all on the same page, then go for it. Whether it works out well or doesn't for others, you do what You feel is best suited for you and your girls. As was suggested above me...
"Where there is a will, there is a way."
4billie4
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Thank you, everyone!  Once winterbreak is over, I am going to talk to the school about taking steps into homeschooling.  I will also be contacting a local homschooling group about it!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Good luck. I have all 4 of mine home. But feel it is whatever works for both kids. Also be prepared your other dd may change her mind later, though she may not. But it is something to think about.

Quoting 4billie4:

Thank you, everyone!  Once winterbreak is over, I am going to talk to the school about taking steps into homeschooling.  I will also be contacting a local homschooling group about it!

Mommynay2
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I have two children and I only homeschool my daughter. It works out well, only one thing there are times of jealousy. Sometimes Thailee doesn't want to go to school. I tell Destinay not to mention if she goes out to eat or go on a trip, because when she mentions it before Thailee won't want to go to school. I did talk to him before I did it and he was fine with it, but at times he has negative feelings. One thing is he has Bipolar disorder and he is mildly retarded, so his moods can change. I wish I was able to teach him, but I would never get permission and he does great in school.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Except for one wonderful year of all 3 kids home, I've always had one or 2 in school while one or 2 homeschooled.  It's not a big deal.  You do what works for each child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)