Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschoolers + College = Capability ??

Posted by   + Show Post

Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College?

It's a more relevant question today since the number of college students who have been homeschooled has exploded. Back in the 1970s, only 13,000 students were homeschooled while today there are more than 1.5 million.

A new study published in The Journal of College Admission suggests that homeschool students enjoy higher ACT scores, grade point averages and graduation rates compared with other college students. The finding are especially interesting because there has been a paucity of research focused on how homeschooled students fare in college.

The research, which was conducted by Michael Cogan, the director of institutional research and analysis at the University of St. Thomas, focused on the experiences of homeschooled students at an unnamed medium-sized university in the upper Midwest.

Here are some of Cogan's findings:
Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
Of course, the big knock on homeschool students is that they never develop social skills since their classrooms are often their kitchen tables and their mothers are often their teachers. Cogan, however, noted that another homeschool study that looked at more than 7,300 adults, who had been homeschooled, determined that the homeschool graduates were more likely to have voted and participated in community service than other adults.

undefined

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Replies (21-23):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that threw me too.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

The summary isn't knocking homeschooling. It is stating what is often give as a reason against homeschooling then refers to a study that contradicts that.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Huh, the stats seem to be supporting homeschool, even if the summary does not...though I'm not sure I can trust any study that states homeschoolers both fail to develop social skills And are more likely to be voted for/participate in community events - social activities....how can one fail to develop social skills yet be known for participating in social activities?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah see I gues I missed that part...lol..that's what I get for trying to read anything while kids are packing the house (and each other) for the move. I think what gave me that impression was the last paragraph of your post - about the 'biggest knock against homeschoolers'  -- so while all the scores were higher, idk the tone of that last paragraph seemed like an insult. 

Quoting kirbymom: Yeah, that threw me too.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

The summary isn't knocking homeschooling. It is stating what is often give as a reason against homeschooling then refers to a study that contradicts that.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Huh, the stats seem to be supporting homeschool, even if the summary does not...though I'm not sure I can trust any study that states homeschoolers both fail to develop social skills And are more likely to be voted for/participate in community events - social activities....how can one fail to develop social skills yet be known for participating in social activities?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm going to go off on a tangent here, but what I don't get with the socialization argument is, what if you live in a really small town in a rural area and go to a small school with the same kids in the same class year after year and the teachers live right in your town too so you're pretty much just interacting with the same crowd throughout schooling (btw, this is exactly how my dad grew up and I also have a friend, younger than me, who lived in rural Vermont and went to a one-room school house that is still in operation). So this must be somehow sub-par socialization, assuming one believes homeschooling is zero socialization?? Meanwhile, my PS kids have 5 classes per grade. They shake the basket every year and how quickly they lose touch with who was their best frined the last year is amazing once they aren't in the same class every year. There are so many kids they don't even know. Heck, I only know a handful of parents in their school. And this is supposed to be great socialization? I dunno, I find it's very alienating and I feel bad for my PS kids. Friendships in school are transient. They don't have that best friend like I remember who I played with every day from K thru 6 until I moved.

I'm convinced people cling to the socialization argument because everyone wants to do what is best for their kids. And how many truly have options like moving specifically for a certain school, paying for a posh private school or the confidence and willingness to homeschool? So, we generally believe in what we know and will come up with ways to defend and support it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN