Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Saxon Math for second grade?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Those who used it or reviewed it, what are your thoughts on Saxon math?Last year I tutored a fourth grader who used it so I know it spirals which is what makes me interested. My 6 year old needs a lot of repetition to be successful. I do go back and review with him now but I think having it built into every single lesson might be better and make sure I don't skip that step. I don't need the manipulatives as I have everything but the balance scale.

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Some like Saxon Math. Some don't. My kids used it in their public school before we began homeschooling. They hated the repetition and what they called busy work. So I guess it depends on the child and the parent if it's a good fit or not.

Now that you mentioned the balance scale though I think I know why my girl wanted me to buy one for homeschool. I did. It wasn't used much or, IMO, very useful though.

Jilectan
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

We were using Math Mammoth for my son and it was always a fight to get him to do it. We've switched to Saxon 54 and the battles have stopped. He says it's harder, too. I think this method is more interesting to him. I'd say it really depends on your child. If he likes or needs the reviewing, then I'd say go for it. It seems to be a really good method.

Also, we're using a self-teaching method for schooling, so my son is going through the book by himself. The most I do is tell him he needs to go back and read the material for the lesson again. He's up to lesson 22 and, except for when his father forgets that he needs no distractions (read, video games going on in the background) to concentrate, does really well by himself. YMMV.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I am using Saxon 2 to teach my second grade son this year (and 1 for my first grade daughter and 54 for my fifth grade daughter). 

Saxon is 'easier' than many programs, so a very advanced 2nd grader would definitely need the 3rd grade level. My older two are not great at math so working at grade level is perfect for them. Last year we tried Singapore for example, and my then-fourth-grader had to start with 3A in that program, and even then it was challenging.

For my son, Saxon 2 works well. The lessons take us no more than 10 minutes to complete. We do NOT do 'The Meeting' however. We do the day and date as a group when we start school, and once in awhile I'll quiz him on aspects of The Meetings (like patterns or left/right) but usually we skip it completely. Most days he has a practice worksheet, then we have the lesson, then he has a lesson worksheet (2 sided, same types of problems on both sides) to complete. I have heard that if your child is consistenly getting 100% you should skip the practice worksheets, but my kids do them anyway because I think extra math practice is always good. :) 

Sometimes I will break up the math though. I will give them the practice worksheet, then do other subjects, then come back for the lesson later. 

We have a balance but it doesn't work super great, and we have only used it 2 or 3 times this year so far.

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Following

bether89
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM

We use Saxon Math with my fifth grader.  This is our second year to use it.  If your child needs repetition with certainly has it.  We have the dvd that goes along with it to teach the lesson and ds likes that better than when I teach it.  We plan to use it again next year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)