Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Say Hello and Introduce Yourself...

welcome

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. You can reply to any posts and/or start your own posts, too. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in!

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. How many kids do you have and how many do you homeschool?

2. How long  have you been homeschooling?

3. What type of homeschooling do you do?

4. What kinds of activities do your kids enjoy?

After you've replied to this post, check out what other moms who signed up have to say - and say hello to them!
 - Quote their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can Like their replies, as well.

Enjoy your time on Homeschooling Moms & CafeMom!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Replies (41-50):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Hello! Welcome! :)

I love your enthusiasm! It's infectious! :)
My 7 yr old loves to learn about space and science mechanics. Unschooling can be a great way to build interest in all sorts of subjects and if yout combine a subject or two, you may be able to cover more territory that way.
Do your boys have any specific interests yet?

Quoting M_May-Rafferty:

Hi, my name is Michele.  We live in SW Colorado.  I have two boys, CJ will be 7 on Feb 27, and Brian is 5.  We are also expecting our first girl on April 5th!!  I've been homeschooling Brian for about 6 months, mainly just "unschooling" him.  CJ is in 1st grade, and his last day of public schDo you plan ool was yesterday.  Public school was just overwhelming him, and then they gave him gluten, in which he has an intolerance to and they know it.  I'm going to start off with turning his "hate to read" into "love to read."  He loves math and games, and is a logical thinker.  Once he becomes more comfortable with reading, then I'll start both boys on some unit studies for subjects like math and english, and they want to learn about the planets and space, so we'll get them going on that.  Not sure yet what we'll do with social studies, if I want to do unit studies or let them pick what they want to learn, then just get books and use the internet to teach them.  I've always wanted to homeschool my children, and I'm excited to get to do that now!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I know what you mean. I have seven of my own and my day can be so full. I would never trade off teaching my kids for anything in the world. Watching and seeing first hand what they have learned and how much they have learned has been such a wonderful and exciting journey. If you have any questions, please, just ask. This is a great place to learn and to give great advice.

Quoting torilee03:

She is very good in History, Math, and Art. I love homeschooling. Actually, I was the hesitant parent about trying it, but I am so glad that I did. My day is hectic with homeschooling, the house, and a 9 month old...but having seen the progress that both of my dd's have made in such a short time...I could never go back. :)

Quoting kirbymom: Aww. That is just sad. Well, they will definitely blossom learning at home, a place they feel safe and protected and above all, they can learn at their own pace. Does your oldest have any particular interests yet?

Quoting torilee03:

My oldest dd was in the 1st grade and going to public school. She was getting into trouble for being bored beecause she had previously tested advanced...the problem was that the school district we lived in would not give her advanced work and they do not offer any type of gifted program until the 4th grade. I thought that it was really sad that there are all of these programs that will help children with learning disabilities ( which is very needed as well) but, they would offer nothing to help my dd blossom. So, I took it into my own hands and decided to homeschool her and my younger dd that is in K. :)

Quoting kirbymom: Hi Tori. Welcome! :)

Keeping busy no doubt with a nine month old and homeschooling. They are so adorable and cute.
May I ask what interested you in homeschooling?

Quoting torilee03:

Glad to join the group! My name is Tori and I am the mother of 3. I have two girls currently homeschooling using Alpha Omega Lifepacs. They are in K and 2nd grade. I also have a 9 month old son. This is our first year homeschooling and loving it so far!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Hi Jessica! :) Welcome! ;)
I'm Sonja. I also have a 16 yr old. I also have a 12yr old. :)
What brought you to homeschooling? Did you always want to preschool?

Quoting jessymoka: Hi!
I'm Jessica.
I am a mother of four, homesIchooling my older three.
My oldest, Austin is 16 years old and a sophomore. My daughter Kaylee is 12 and in 6th grade. My son Brayden just turned 6 and is in Kindergarten. I also have a 6 month old daughter Lainey.
We are in our 5th year of homeschooling.
We attend a co-op on Mondays. After co-op we come home and the kids pursue learning about their interests. Tuesday through Friday we use Switched on Schoolhouse and Teaching Textbooks for my older two. My kindergartner I use an eclectic approach, until I can switch him to computerized learning.
We like to have fun and be wacky. I love having my kids home with me. I love watching them learn, help each other, and develop owe bonded relationships with each other.
My husband Wayne and I have been married 17 years.
We live in NW Indiana, and are considered Chicagoland.

undefined

M_May-Rafferty
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Right now, unfortunately, their main interest is video games.  They watch daddy too much, and want to be just like him.  But now that they'll be home with me more than with daddy, I'm hoping to steer them away from video games and towards something else.

Quoting kirbymom: Hello! Welcome! :)

My 7 yr old loves to learn about space and science mechanics. Unschooling can be a great way to build interest in all sorts of subjects and if yout combine a subject or two, you may be able to cover more territory that way.

Quoting M_May-Rafferty:

Hi, my name is Michele.  We live in SW Colorado.  I have two boys, CJ will be 7 on Feb 27, and Brian is 5.  We are also expecting our first girl on April 5th!!  I've been homeschooling Brian for about 6 months, mainly just "unschooling" him.  CJ is in 1st grade, and his last day of public school was yesterday.  Public school was just overwhelming him, and then they gave him gluten, in which he has an intolerance to and they know it.  I'm going to start off with turning his "hate to read" into "love to read."  He loves math and games, and is a logical thinker.  Once he becomes more comfortable with reading, then I'll start both boys on some unit studies for subjects like math and english, and they want to learn about the planets and space, so we'll get them going on that.  Not sure yet what we'll do with social studies, if I want to do unit studies or let them pick what they want to learn, then just get books and use the internet to teach them.  I've always wanted to homeschool my children, and I'm excited to get to do that now!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Well, maybe you can use their interest fir video games as a jumping point for learning. For instance, you can encourage reading to each other. You could also base history around some of the games they like to play. Find out what country the game came from, what year, what was going on in that year. Maybe even do a meal where the can also learn how to spell the name of the meal.
Just suggestions. Something to think about.

Quoting M_May-Rafferty:

Right now, unfortunately, their main interest is video games.  They watch daddy too much, and want to be just like him.  But now that they'll be home with me more than with daddy, I'm hoping to steer them away from video games and towards something else.

Quoting kirbymom: Hello! Welcome! :)

Quoting M_May-Rafferty:

Hi, my name is Michele.  We live in SW Colorado.  I have two boys, CJ will be 7 on Feb 27, and Brian is 5.  We are also expecting our first girl on April 5th!!  I've been homeschooling Brian for about 6 months, mainly just "unschooling" him.  CJ is in 1st grade, and his last day of public school was yesterday.  Public school was just overwhelming him, and then they gave him gluten, in which he has an intolerance to and they know it.  I'm going to start off with turning his "hate to read" into "love to read."  He loves math and games, and is a logical thinker.  Once he becomes more comfortable with reading, then I'll start both boys on some unit studies for subjects like math and english, and they want to learn about the planets and space, so we'll get them going on that.  Not sure yet what we'll do with social studies, if I want to do unit studies or let them pick what they want to learn, then just get books and use the internet to teach them.  I've always wanted to homeschool my children, and I'm excited to get to do that now!

princessesmom09
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, Im a mom of two little girls, we just started homeschooling this year because the school just wasnt doing what I thought it should. It has been a crazy, rewarding, demanding adventure for us but I do not think we would ever go back. I would love to have some "big people" interaction :)

sstepph
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Yes, excited to start this new chapter.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Hi Stephanie! Welcome to the group.

Are you excited to start homeschooling your son next year?

Quoting sstepph:

Hiii. 

I'm Stephanie. 

I have a 5 year old son, and right now he does attend preschool 3 days a week, for 2 1/2 hours, but we're starting homeschool next year for Kindergarden. =) We're looking forward to this new journey! 

*
yes. there are two paths you can go by. but in the long run. there's still time to change the road you're on.
                          -led.zeppelin

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Hi. :) Welcome! :)

Well sweety, you have come to the right place!
What do you do for down time for yourself? Or have you had time to carve out some me time yet?

Quoting princessesmom09:

Hi, Im a mom of two little girls, we just started homeschooling this year because the school just wasnt doing what I thought it should. It has been a crazy, rewarding, demanding adventure for us but I do not think we would ever go back. I would love to have some "big people" interaction :)

MommiiDearest
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Hai~

I am Shaylene.

I have one child, and one on the way, but I dont homeschool. My son is only two... though I am very interesting in homeschooling him once he gets older. Some of my sons favorite things to do is play outside, read, and help me cook/prepare our meals.

jess8501
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi my name is jesse i have 4 kids 3girls and 1 boy i am going to start homeshooling my son he is 8 and he has had a hard time in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN