Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What homeschooling regrets do you have from 2013?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 26 Replies

????????

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I regret not going on more field trips! This year we will try to do more!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Ugh!  I regret spending so much money on the "perfect" history and science programs when all we really need to do is find some good websites, watch some good documentaries, and go on a few really good field trips.  Ds(12) would come away knowing and understanding a lot more.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I based our language arts work on the work that the PS does.  That was ultimately stupid.  LOL.  This coming semester, I plan to read a new short story or poem each day, a science article or book chapter each day, and a history chapter or history legend/story each day.  I had been doing one story each week and then having discussions about it, drawing pictures about it, etc.  This is the time to fill their heads with stories and I am missing that time while we try to have discussion they just aren't ready to participate in (especially the younger 2).  So I plan on reading more and setting aside more time for them to read on their own.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM
3 moms liked this

#1 - I regret not starting hs years ago!

#2 - Doing some local hs activities that were not a good use of our time.  I was worried about socializing, but things that are boring aren't going to capture their imaginations and we could be doing our regular lessons (which are at least interesting if not downright fun) instead.

#3 - More loose reading time where they choose their own books, and just pull the cool stories out of our reading program (there are some super good ones, but there are a few snoozers too!).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I would love to find a really good book full of short stories for my third grader. Something that has a good mix the way some really good textbooks for Language Arts do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I based our language arts work on the work that the PS does.  That was ultimately stupid.  LOL.  This coming semester, I plan to read a new short story or poem each day, a science article or book chapter each day, and a history chapter or history legend/story each day.  I had been doing one story each week and then having discussions about it, drawing pictures about it, etc.  This is the time to fill their heads with stories and I am missing that time while we try to have discussion they just aren't ready to participate in (especially the younger 2).  So I plan on reading more and setting aside more time for them to read on their own.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I don't really have any great anthologies for the younger kids, most of my good collections like that are more for high school and college.  But I bought a whole bunch of the Dover Children's Thrift Classics for like a dollar or 2 a piece.  They have some really good collections of Irish Fairy Tales, African Folktales, Chinese Fairy Tales, Aesop's Fables, etc.  And being sooooo cheap, I have nearly a whole shelf of them!  LOL

Most of the newer Language Arts texts are replacing a lot of the short stories with science and history articles (which are cool, don't get me wrong) they just throw random science and history in and fracture our learning.  Anyway, I was very frustrated by our local public school's language arts text.  It was losing some great literature for dumbed-down versions of classic stories and teaching how to read technical work, which I still believe should fall in the classes that are actually teaching the technical content.

I'm sorry, I have no idea why I can't keep my responses short.  *Sigh*

Quoting mem82:

I would love to find a really good book full of short stories for my third grader. Something that has a good mix the way some really good textbooks for Language Arts do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
That I did not go ahead and pull my 6 year old from CAVA. And that I have let working with my son slide.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

lolololol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't really have any great anthologies for the younger kids, most of my good collections like that are more for high school and college.  But I bought a whole bunch of the Dover Children's Thrift Classics for like a dollar or 2 a piece.  They have some really good collections of Irish Fairy Tales, African Folktales, Chinese Fairy Tales, Aesop's Fables, etc.  And being sooooo cheap, I have nearly a whole shelf of them!  LOL

Most of the newer Language Arts texts are replacing a lot of the short stories with science and history articles (which are cool, don't get me wrong) they just throw random science and history in and fracture our learning.  Anyway, I was very frustrated by our local public school's language arts text.  It was losing some great literature for dumbed-down versions of classic stories and teaching how to read technical work, which I still believe should fall in the classes that are actually teaching the technical content.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

That I didn't start this sooner!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

At least I make people laugh!  :-)

Quoting mem82:

lolololol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)