Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My Experiment Was A ......

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
BJ
  • 30 Replies
4 moms liked this

SUCCESS!!!

Some of you wanted to know how spreading Christmas present opening over the whole week of Christmas went with my Autistic son.

He has asked several times if we can do it that way next year. The stress of getting so much in one day was gone. Everyday he (and his sister) got 2 gifts each to open. On Christmas Day they got their 2 gifts, stocking & 1 gift from Santa (they know he isn't real but they like to pretend he is). My oldest only got 1 a day (his stuff is more expensive then the younger 2) & no Santa gift but he is 20 so I think he is OK with that!

If there is more you want to know about how we did it or what else we did just ask!

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I'm glad it worked out!  Congratulations!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Thanks! I am very glad it worked, I figured it couldn't be any worse then the mega meltdown that normally happens every Christmas!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We've had meltdowns in the past.  So frustrating!  

Quoting usmom3:

Thanks! I am very glad it worked, I figured it couldn't be any worse then the mega meltdown that normally happens every Christmas!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Great idea! My brother, who is autistic, hidebin his room during present opening time and then comes out after to open his.
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That was a wonderful solution!  

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes they are very frustrating especially when you know if you did things differently they would not happen!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We've had meltdowns in the past.  So frustrating!  

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest hides in his room when we have unexpectedguests! He needs time to adjust to the idea of having people in our house! So I can totally see someone hiding from gift opening with all the stimuli happening!

Quoting Precious333: Great idea! My brother, who is autistic, hidebin his room during present opening time and then comes out after to open his.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I had wanted to try doing it that way for years but Hubby was resistant to it! I think he is on board with doing it this way now that I have gotten him to try it & he saw for himself how well it worked!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That was a wonderful solution!  

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I am so very glad it worked!
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Thanks, I was too! He has been asking all day if we can do it that way next year so I think he thinks it was great too!

Quoting debramommyof4: I am so very glad it worked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)