Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Crazy to start homeschooling a junior in their second semester?!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 16 yr. old daughter (a junior at an alternative high school) is asking to be homeschooled again.  I homeschooled her until her freshman year when she was tested and accepted into an alternative public high school (smaller classes/4 core subject focus).  She didn't really want to go, but her best friend was there and the viritual academy we chose to use for academics proved to not be as flexible as we were made to believe.  Anyway, my daughter is having a really rough time emotionally (for lack of a better word) with the school environment.  She is very sensitive to the noises and chaos that goes on in the classroom and it's affecting her ability to concentrate and thrive in her studies.  I'm open to her coming home as I homeschooled my oldest daughter through high school.  I just wonder if this is just something she needs to "get through" since she is only has a year and half left of school.  But, on the flipside, she is miserable, complains alot, frequently says she hates the school and her classmates, and I can see some signs of depression due to the school environment.  We've had so many discussions about her attitude, etc...but she just isn't doing well.  Obviously, I want to be sure I'm doing the best thing for her, but I feel like she is just at the finish line and can she do better at home?  

Any thoughts, advice, shared experiences?  Would appreciate your thoughts or questions.

Pam (PammysZoo)

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this

If she is that miserable compared to homeschooling I'd bring her home.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd bring her home.  College is a whole different ballgame as far as the other students' maturity, wanting to be there, not being goofy in class, etc.  There will be a ton of things she won't have to deal with there that she's facing in high school.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I homeschooled from that point on. Our town has an adult education program, it's home study, made for adults to get their diploma. So I was able to get my Highschool diploma even though I homeschooled for my junior/senior years....and I went on to college and got degrees in Physics and Geology.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

i think school set-ups, schedules, environments, social structure, teaching practices, etc. in general are crazy-making. Luckily, many kids can manage/cope and some even do quite well. But if you have a different option that works... go for it!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:45 AM
It sounds like you have a good idea of what needs to be done.
EmmDee
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Pam -

I had this exact situation with my daughter - I homeschooled her until 10th grade, put her in a private prep school, after three months she begged to be hmeschooled again.  Then in 12th grade, I put her in the prep school again just to get her diploma.  She made friends and got good grades both times, but hated the academics and atmosphere in general.  She ended up graduating early (end of December) and went on to college.  She was very glad it was over.

Home school your daughter again!!  Didn't we all start this for the best reasons?  She is at an emotionally fragile time, and as long as you keep encouraging healthy social situations on the side, she will gain a great deal by having your home schooling direction at this point.

Good for you guys!

EmmDee

PammysZoo
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I homeschooled from that point on. Our town has an adult education program, it's home study, made for adults to get their diploma. So I was able to get my Highschool diploma even though I homeschooled for my junior/senior years....and I went on to college and got degrees in Physics and Geology.

I love hearing experiences like these!  Thank you for sharing!

PammysZoo
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Thank you all for your encouraging me to bring my daughter home.  I admit that I am a bit nervous about homeschooling again.  I feel I didn't do a great job with my oldest daughter because she's almost 21, can't find a part-time job and hasn't started college yet.  For some reason I equate this to my role in homeschooling her. 

Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:26 AM
2 moms liked this

From what I know of alternative high schools, admittedly second-hand information, she'd be better off at home. Especially since she's having such a hard time of things. If it were me, I'd bring her home.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I would bring her home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN