Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What your ___ grader needs to know...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 17 Replies

Does anyone use these?  I just borrowed them from the library (5th and 6th grades) and I am loving them!  They are super helpful for me to know what to focus on and I love that it's not just a list, there is actual info in there too!  I'm thinking about buying them for the future, but I will keep them from the library for as long as I can for now!

If you use them, how do you use them? 

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I've read them......lots of info. It seems impossible to teach that much in a year.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I have the whole series, but am bummed it doesn't go into the middle school/high school grades. I use them as references, or jumping off points. I don't keep it to the grade level. So if the kids are studying colonial America we will look at the colonies in as many of the books as we can find and use this as a platform to begin learning the subject. I think it runs like a grade ahead of public school (like the 1st grade would be more like the public school 2nd grade). But I especially like to use the core knowledge website which has a TON of lesson plans to coincide to the books  - http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_live_data/view.php?id=1833&record_id=269

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Thanks for that website, I'm going to check it out right now!

I wish I checked them out of the library sooner, I am loving the guidance.  I am also super disappointed that they stop at 6th grade :(  My kids are in 5th and 6th, so I got so excited to have the guidance and then realized I will be lost again after this year :(  I'll hold out hope that they will write more or that there are books similar to this for ms/hs.

I plan to pick our topics then pull from the books (ie We are doing Ancient Greece followed by Rome, which aren't in the 5th grade but are in the 6th grade, so we will read from the book and add on to it.  And we are doing geometry so it is giving me a guide of what order to review/teach it in).

I really wish they had bigger kid books like this :/

Quoting KickButtMama:

I have the whole series, but am bummed it doesn't go into the middle school/high school grades. I use them as references, or jumping off points. I don't keep it to the grade level. So if the kids are studying colonial America we will look at the colonies in as many of the books as we can find and use this as a platform to begin learning the subject. I think it runs like a grade ahead of public school (like the 1st grade would be more like the public school 2nd grade). But I especially like to use the core knowledge website which has a TON of lesson plans to coincide to the books  - http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_live_data/view.php?id=1833&record_id=269

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I read them but I am not a fan. They can give you ideas but I don't like the idea of needing to know something by a certain grade. It took me a long time to let go of that notion.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I certainly don't think my kids need to know everything in those books by the end of their grade. But I like having a guide so I know what pieces of each topic are age appropriate (like starting geometry, I would be very likely to take it way too far and confuse them, but these books can help me hold back a bit so they are getting more of what they need and not so much that we all get frustrated).

I still can't go the complete unschooling route and believe that my children will learn everything in time (by in time I mean for college or their careers). I have one child that is advanced but doesn't put in any effort beyond what is asked of him, and I have another child who will never get ahead or even remain where she should be without specific guidance. Maybe if I had started hsing from the beginning I could have encouraged their curiosity and love of learning enough to have them lead themselves, but that isn't the case here, so I feel it's my responsibility to teach them what they should know, and these books have helped me in only two days become more confident in what I'm going to teach.

I like the idea of unschooling, it just won't work for my family. But at the same time, I know they won't learn everything they "should" according to certain standards, but they will learn what they need.

Quoting jen2150: I read them but I am not a fan. They can give you ideas but I don't like the idea of needing to know something by a certain grade. It took me a long time to let go of that notion.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM
This is me. They are an okay guide, but we are not really on the same track as them

Quoting jen2150: I read them but I am not a fan. They can give you ideas but I don't like the idea of needing to know something by a certain grade. It took me a long time to let go of that notion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they can be useful but I found them behind the public schools in our area which is not where I wanted my kids to be. I do like that they tend to be at the library though.

I found this series to be more on target and kinesthetic if you used it, Making the Grade: Everything Your  X Grader Needs to Know  by Robert R. Roth.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm using them for DS4 (kindergarten). We use the kindergarten book as our guide (i.e. I use it to look back on and see what the general sequence for things may be, and I can also pull content occasionally).

I'll caveat and say that I'm using the 90's version - I will not use anything explicitely common core aligned, and the new versions of this book ARE explicitely aligned.

I do not use it solely, of course - I have curricula for each subject, but it's a GREAT guide and I want to order the older versions for every grade (and I think I will this summer).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

firefay
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the preschool list scanned but then lost it.  World Book has a similar list but I think that covers more. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM
I questioned using it because it is core aligned, but it has shown to be a good guide for the topics I've used it for so far. If I do purchase it, I will purchase the older versions. I am disappointed that it stops at 6th grade though!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm using them for DS4 (kindergarten). We use the kindergarten book as our guide (i.e. I use it to look back on and see what the general sequence for things may be, and I can also pull content occasionally).

I'll caveat and say that I'm using the 90's version - I will not use anything explicitely common core aligned, and the new versions of this book ARE explicitely aligned.

I do not use it solely, of course - I have curricula for each subject, but it's a GREAT guide and I want to order the older versions for every grade (and I think I will this summer).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)