Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need advice on kindergarten math

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son officially starts kindergarten next year and though we have been reading we have not done much math.

I think he will do best with something hands on and not extremely repetitive but does review.
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Here's a website that might have what your looking for....

http://www.kindergarten-lessons.com/handsonmathactivities.html

So what does an educator mean by the term hands on math? Children need to have math experiences that incorporate their senses, that require them to touch things, experiment and make observations, and that allow them time to investigate a concept further.

Click here for a complete list of hands on math activities, ... with links that teach counting, number and number operations, sorting and sequencing, classification, measurement, patterns, graphs, tallies, fractions and more.
Teach Hands on Math with Art
As a follow up to hands on math activities with games and blocks to learn about symmetry, introduce the children to cut and paste type symmetry fun.
teaching symmetry
Clown Face Symmetry
The first time I do the clown face activity with the students, I do it in steps, demonstrating one step, then having the children complete the step, checking to see that each child is successful.
Beforehand, ask a parent to cut out large basic shapes and then cut them in half.
Give each child a large sheet of paper with a line drawn down the middle
Give each student a pair of cut out shapes after you demonstrate the step. I found without the structured step by step approach, the children randomly glued shapes, missing the concept of symmetry.
Say, "I glued a half circle on this side of my line, so I have to glue another half circle on the other side of the line."
Have the child glue half of a shape on one side of the line then the other half on the other side of the line
Keep repeating until all shapes are used up
Use stickers to complete the symmetrical picture

kindergarten mathFollow up activity...
The next day give the students another paper with a line drawn down the middle.
Then provide a handout such as the sample on the right. Have the children cut the shapes out and create their own symmetrical designs (a short review showing yesterday's work will be necessary).
Print the sample worksheet onto colored paper, or on to construction paper if you photocopier allows it.
Hands on math activity - Folded paper and paint symmetry
teach kids symmetryGive each child a piece of 12 x 18 paper folded in half.
Have them open it and place two or three teaspoons of different colored liquid paint on their paper.
Have them close the paper.
Demonstrate first, showing children how to rub the top of the paper carefully but thoroughly.
The kids love opening their paper to see their symmetrical butterfly designs.
For more fun, embellish the pictures with glitter glue after they dry
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I love Math U See: Primer!  My 5yo is about 1/4 of the way through it (he has 2 years to get through it).  If I had it to do again, I would have only bought the workbook because I understand the concepts and how to teach them and we really haven't used the video or textbook for the kinder year.  It is very hands on and my LO just loves the blocks.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Thank you for the website it looks awesome.

Quoting kirbymom: Here's a website that might have what your looking for....

So what does an educator mean by the term hands on math? Children need to have math experiences that incorporate their senses, that require them to touch things, experiment and make observations, and that allow them time to investigate a concept further.

Click here for a complete list of hands on math activities, ... with links that teach counting, number and number operations, sorting and sequencing, classification, measurement, patterns, graphs, tallies, fractions and more.

As a follow up to hands on math activities with games and blocks to learn about symmetry, introduce the children to cut and paste type symmetry fun.

teaching symmetry

Clown Face Symmetry

The first time I do the clown face activity with the students, I do it in steps, demonstrating one step, then having the children complete the step, checking to see that each child is successful.

Beforehand, ask a parent to cut out large basic shapes and then cut them in half.

Give each student a pair of cut out shapes after you demonstrate the step. I found without the structured step by step approach, the children randomly glued shapes, missing the concept of symmetry.

Say, "I glued a half circle on this side of my line, so I have to glue another half circle on the other side of the line."

Have the child glue half of a shape on one side of the line then the other half on the other side of the line

Then provide a handout such as the sample on the right. Have the children cut the shapes out and create their own symmetrical designs (a short review showing yesterday's work will be necessary).

Print the sample worksheet onto colored paper, or on to construction paper if you photocopier allows it.

Have them open it and place two or three teaspoons of different colored liquid paint on their paper.

Demonstrate first, showing children how to rub the top of the paper carefully but thoroughly.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I will have to look more in to that as well. I want a good fit. The girls used k12 and while it works, I do not think it would be a good fit for him plus I do not think I will ever go back to them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I love Math U See: Primer!  My 5yo is about 1/4 of the way through it (he has 2 years to get through it).  If I had it to do again, I would have only bought the workbook because I understand the concepts and how to teach them and we really haven't used the video or textbook for the kinder year.  It is very hands on and my LO just loves the blocks.

katyq
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Singapore math! It doesn't spiral any more than necessary (repeating, drills). I am going to be using Math in Focus Singapore math but I don't believe they have a Kindergarten curriculum and so I bought another Singapore math book. I chose Singapore math because it is fashioned after the nation's curriculum and they produce some of the worlds most intelligent students :)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Thanks I will investigate that one more.

Quoting katyq:

Singapore math! It doesn't spiral any more than necessary (repeating, drills). I am going to be using Math in Focus Singapore math but I don't believe they have a Kindergarten curriculum and so I bought another Singapore math book. I chose Singapore math because it is fashioned after the nation's curriculum and they produce some of the worlds most intelligent students :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Your welcome. :)

Quoting debramommyof4: Thank you for the website it looks awesome.

Quoting kirbymom: Here's a website that might have what your looking for....

teaching symmetry
Clown Face Symmetry

jesusseesme
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

doing fun math is a good way to get thier attention.  using m&m's place them on circles on paper with number above, you can even use crayons to teach colors as well.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We're using Miquon (VERY hands on!) and The Verbal Math Lesson with ds4.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Thanks. I have to figure out where he is at as well. He knows his colors, we have done patterns many times, he knows how to add single digits to 10. He can skip count to 20 and can count backwards from 20 to 0.

So that may be my first step. He can not write all his numbers but he can Recognize them to 50.

Quoting jesusseesme:

doing fun math is a good way to get thier attention.  using m&m's place them on circles on paper with number above, you can even use crayons to teach colors as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN