Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Unsupportive family & friends

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
some of you may know that we pulled our 2 daughters out of PS this past March. for various reasons, we decided (at the time) ps was best for them and our family and enrolled them in August. I have done a lot more research, hubby finally got transferred to a rig closer to home and I have started to prepare myself more for them being home again. I cannot get over common core. some of the math my oldest daughter (2nd grade) brings home is just insane. we have decided to let them finish this school year and homeschool again.

my problem area is going to be family and friends making snide remarks like to "make up your mind" and others. how do I convince family that this is it and get their support? we don't have any homeschooling groups close to us that I can find. I know ultimately this is our decision, but I'd really like to have their support.

any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katyq
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

It doesn't matter one bit what anyone else thinks. Ignore negative comments.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww sweety, that may be tougher than you think. First of all, you are right. It IS YouR decision, not theirs. Just as it will be u that does the staying home and teaching, majorily, not anyone else, so outside you and hubby, it really isn't anyone else's business how many times you change your minds. It's not like no one else hasn't ever changed their minds more than once. Right? Anyway, you can tell them that the decisions you have made in the past were right for that time just as it is the right decision at this time.

Besides, you have everyone's support in this group, if you need it. :)
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I just stood my ground, this was our decision and we made it. Most people were able to bite their tongues, and those that didn't were promptly ignored (very difficult when the main person that didn't is my mil whom we live with) and are just being shown now. Nothing I could say could convince some people, and it was a waste of my energy to try...so instead I am just showing them that this is what is best.

Another thing that worked with my mil was when my DH pointed out that she had the opportunity to go to private school and how her mom tried to do what was best-it kind of let her know that all we are doing is what we think is best.

Good luck, I know it's hard to ignore the naysayers, but try not to let them get to you. It's no one else's decision.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I think most of us had to deal with those kind of comments in the beginning. For some of the 'concern' you have to apply a wait and see - the progress the kids make, and their joy in learning, will become apparent proving to some members of family/friends that this was the right choice. For others you might have to give a firm "this is my choice, and I have the final say" for others you learn to just "Smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave" lol basically ignoring them. Most of our family/friends love our homeschooling now and agree it's be the best for our boys. For some, like my dad, he says how awesome it's been working then follows it up with "so when do you plan on sending them to a 'real school'" ugh. 

We support you!

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:32 PM
thank you ladies!!! I thought ps was best at the time. and while they're in a GREAT, small country school now I just can't get over common core. the more I read about it, the more mad I get LOL.
do you guys know of any anti (for lack of a better word) common core articles, youtube videos etc that I can show them? maybe there's some I HAVEN'T read/watched. maybe that would help show them my concerns for it and the main reason for our decision to hs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD is 6 & we are about to start 2nd this summer with her, she has never (& hopefully won't ever) gone to PS. I just had to deal with this monday from my dad(one more time). He seems to think going to public school is just better for a kid. I have tried to explain to him why I don't feel that way a million times but he just always says the same thing. At this point I just ignore it for the most part. For some people there is absolutely nothing you can say to change their minds on the subject. You will do more for yourself by just ignoring people & going on with what you feel is right for family than you will stressing over all the negative opinions of others.

hugs momma <3

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:08 PM
This!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think most of us had to deal with those kind of comments in the beginning. For some of the 'concern' you have to apply a wait and see - the progress the kids make, and their joy in learning, will become apparent proving to some members of family/friends that this was the right choice. For others you might have to give a firm "this is my choice, and I have the final say" for others you learn to just "Smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave" lol basically ignoring them. Most of our family/friends love our homeschooling now and agree it's be the best for our boys. For some, like my dad, he says how awesome it's been working then follows it up with "so when do you plan on sending them to a 'real school'" ugh. 

We support you!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM

i used to have a TON of common core articles and websites book marked, but somethign happened one day and I lost all my bookmarks!

here are a few I remember:

http://mobile.edweek.org/c.jsp?DISPATCHED=true&cid=25983841&item=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.edweek.org%2Fteachers%2Fliving-in-dialogue%2F2013%2F11%2Fcommon_core_standards_ten_colo.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/01/29/a-tough-critique-of-common-core-on-early-childhood-education/

I follow these two women's blogs on a lot of education issues:

http://dianeravitch.net/category/common-core/

(she has a list of blog topics at the top)

http://edushyster.com/?cat=253 

(she has a little pull down menu that says "categories" on teh right. I like the ones on Bill Gates and Education Reform)

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: thank you ladies!!! I thought ps was best at the time. and while they're in a GREAT, small country school now I just can't get over common core. the more I read about it, the more mad I get LOL.
do you guys know of any anti (for lack of a better word) common core articles, youtube videos etc that I can show them? maybe there's some I HAVEN'T read/watched. maybe that would help show them my concerns for it and the main reason for our decision to hs

Bethbeth
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

there's no reason that they have to be in ps for 12 years of hs for 12 years. There's nothing wrong with switching a few times, and choosing each year what is best for your family. Be confident, and hopefully they will follow.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree.  Yeah it would be nice if they supported you but it never bothered me. I just loved having my children home with me and knowing that they were being protected and given a better education to boot :-)

Quoting katyq:

It doesn't matter one bit what anyone else thinks. Ignore negative comments.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)