Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am unprepared and overwhelmed.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello, I feel so overwhelmed right now. I don't know what to do tomorrow. I let Destinay have the vacation off, and in Rhode Island they have an attendance law. Tomorrow I'm supposed to teach her, but I have no clue what the exact  plan is. I have some computer work for her to do, but to be honest, I would just love to have a day to  have a game day, and be able to do some kind of planning and getting things organized. I have worksheets, unit studies, I had a somewhat productive month then I told Destinay if she finished her work she can have the rest of the year out, well tomorrow she is supposed to start up again. I just wish I had just a day to get back in the swing of things. I did wrong not getting prepared, I kept procrastinating and I don't feel productive at all. Well, I would appreciate any advice and encouragement.

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Why can't you take tomorrow off and just tack on a day somewhere else? I've never heard of a state requiring you keep the same calendar, day for day, as the public schools.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:25 PM
This...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Why can't you take tomorrow off and just tack on a day somewhere else? I've never heard of a state requiring you keep the same calendar, day for day, as the public schools.

Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Well, do you have anything that doesn't need any preperation? Something she can work on independently while you're working on planning? Maybe a math lesson, read a book, watch a documentary? Something basic that would fulfill the attendence requirement, while having it be an easy day for both of you. As I recall, they do that in ps, too.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Well, IMO, any day that she is awake is a day of learning and can be counted.  Learning isn't just with a curriculum and books.  It's watching a tv show, going to a museum or the park or the zoo, running errands with you, going on a nature walk, planting/weeding a garden, playing a board or card game, doing arts and crafts, learning a song on the piano keyboard, cooking, computer and video games, writing a song or a letter to a celebrity or a penpal, exercising, etc.

IT ALL COUNTS.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM

how old is dd? I do a lot of my planning while ds is working independently. I also have a basic workbook in every subject as a fall back - so there is always something to do. Or read, read, read!

I guess I"m taking today and tomorrow off because they called snow days here, and I have 2 in public, so it's just easier to follow the school calendar pretty closely. Plus, I got sick and can't stomach any food right now or feel motivated! But I'm making all the kids read today and I might put on some educational dvds. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This! Have a game day & count it for what the games have you doing Monopoly as math, Scrabble as Language Arts, etc. Then have her help you cook & that is Science, talk about the kind of food you are making & you could turn it in to Social Studies!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Well, IMO, any day that she is awake is a day of learning and can be counted.  Learning isn't just with a curriculum and books.  It's watching a tv show, going to a museum or the park or the zoo, running errands with you, going on a nature walk, planting/weeding a garden, playing a board or card game, doing arts and crafts, learning a song on the piano keyboard, cooking, computer and video games, writing a song or a letter to a celebrity or a penpal, exercising, etc.

IT ALL COUNTS.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM
I concur. Totally! Cooking and baking can also be categorized as a Home Ec. class. Running in place and doing leg hops, summersaulting all can be P.E.
Between those two subjects, you can include science, math, vocabulary, spelling, grammar, language arts, social studies. Oh, and arts and crafts. It's all in how you word it. A personal perspective if you will.

Quoting usmom3:

This! Have a game day & count it for what the games have you doing Monopoly as math, Scrabble as Language Arts, etc. Then have her help you cook & that is Science, talk about the kind of food you are making & you could turn it in to Social Studies!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

IT ALL COUNTS.

jesusseesme
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM

yes, homeschooling can be a challange to get a plan underway. take it slow and know that it gets better as time goes on. it's ok to let your child learn in other ways, or relaxed ways. easy peasy.com is a free lesson site complete for every grade this might help. do you have a curriculm? if you have any questions let me know. love and learn and you'll be fine. God bless.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM

How old is she?  I wasn't fully prepared myself but I found a few creative ways to get DD to do a few things on her own to buy myself some time.  I had her sit in a kids chair and read to her "students" (a bunch of stuffed animals).  She read about 3 books this way.  Then, I have an app for the writing progarm I'm using so she taught her students how to write the first letter of their first name.

For spelling, I made a bag of spelling words and she drew two words and then wrote them over and over on a new notebook she got from Santa with a new Santa Pencil.

Sometimes just new crayons/markers/pencils etc gets them working by themselves a little longer.

It bought me enough time to get her math stuff together and then some items for me to read to her for Science.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)