Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

50 Things Kids Don’t Learn in School

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM
BJ
  • 27 Replies
3 moms liked this

I thought this was good & wanted to share it with all of you.

http://grassfedanarchist.com/2013/12/30/50-things-kids-dont-learn-in-school/

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I'm sure there are many more that aren't on that list, but I couldn't help thinking as I went along, that there are things I don't care to know.  :)

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hwblyf:

I'm sure there are many more that aren't on that list, but I couldn't help thinking as I went along, that there are things I don't care to know.  :)

I could totally add to that list but most of it I think everyone should know!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I agree with the list !!
I think these are things the kids should learn while growing into adulthood. More self governed reliance is always a positive.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Love them all. There arebsome excellent ones. Some of them I am learning and need to learn
RheaF
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM
I agree with most of those. All but the raising fish and gun cleaning one.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:45 AM
4 moms liked this

"Can you honestly tell me that learning to memorize and regurgitate facts sounds like a better use of anyone’s time than learning the following the skills?"

This quote bothers me. I can't pinpoint why exactly. For the sake of discussion (or just because I'm argumentative by nature), when she makes this statement it comes across as that the two (formal learning and home skills) are mutually exclusive of each other; that you can't have one with the other. Perhaps it was the context.

All of the skills she listed are very important (well, most of them), but so are academics - so is scholarly application. A child who is sincerely "educated", isn't merely regurgitating facts and memorizing lists; he or she is LEARNING... and that can be done with the HELP of lists and memorizing facts.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Lol, why those two? But you agree with "how to kill a chicken"? Those all kind of fit in a similar category in my book.

I think I agree with the whole list, but I also agree with one commenter that said a lot of those things aren't learned until adulthood anyway. And I'm not sure I would teach my son how to chart to tell when a woman is ovulating.

And I agree with Aimee, learning life skills and academics are not mutually exclusive, one can easily do both if given the right tools.

Quoting RheaF: I agree with most of those. All but the raising fish and gun cleaning one.
RheaF
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I just don't feel it is important that kids learn how to farm raise fish,lol. I mean really....how many are going to have acess to that? I don't know anyone around with enough water or money for that. Raise animals...that is more practical (I am also assuming these "topics" are coming from a prepper's POV). Now, teaching them HOW TO fish.....that is more practical and a skill they may depend upon. How to hunt and farm as well.

DH used to work for a ppoultry processing plant, so he knows and can teach anyone the more humane way to kill a chicken. That is a useful skill. If they are raising the animals for food, they should know how to properly and humanley kill them. That's just part of farming.

The gun part, IMHO, as it stand right now (in our country) I do not feel the need to push weapons on people. If you feel comfortable with a gun, then yes, learn about it and how to care for it. DH has two hunting guns ( a rifle and a shot gun). I have no clue how to shot either, nor do I care to learn right now. If someone broke into my house the gun would not do either of us any good anyway. We keep it up high in our closet (DH is 6'2" and needs a step ladder) and we keep it unloaded with the ammo in the safe under our bed.

I think most of that list are things that do not need to be activly "taught", rather, stuff that can be learned by observation and just doing it. Learning to chart a womans ovulation cycle is not something I feel my son needs to learn either. Since he is not the women, therefore can not see the "signs", and not all women ovulate on a regular schedule. It is completly normal to have a weird month or two. It would be a surprie if he were charting and got the dayys wrong,lol!!! It is important for girls and women to learn to chart though. Not only for a more natural BC option, but you can also get a heads up if something is wrong in your body.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Lol, why those two? But you agree with "how to kill a chicken"? Those all kind of fit in a similar category in my book.

I think I agree with the whole list, but I also agree with one commenter that said a lot of those things aren't learned until adulthood anyway. And I'm not sure I would teach my son how to chart to tell when a woman is ovulating.

And I agree with Aimee, learning life skills and academics are not mutually exclusive, one can easily do both if given the right tools.

Quoting RheaF: I agree with most of those. All but the raising fish and gun cleaning one.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I can totally see your points here.  I thought the raising fish and animals was under the same 'skill' and I think knowing how to raise farm animals could be a good skill, even something simple like chickens.  Definitely teaching them how to fish is a great skill. 

I don't think pushing guns on people is a good answer either, but if they are in the home then it's perfectly natural IMO to learn how to care for them.

Quoting RheaF:

I just don't feel it is important that kids learn how to farm raise fish,lol. I mean really....how many are going to have acess to that? I don't know anyone around with enough water or money for that. Raise animals...that is more practical (I am also assuming these "topics" are coming from a prepper's POV). Now, teaching them HOW TO fish.....that is more practical and a skill they may depend upon. How to hunt and farm as well.

DH used to work for a ppoultry processing plant, so he knows and can teach anyone the more humane way to kill a chicken. That is a useful skill. If they are raising the animals for food, they should know how to properly and humanley kill them. That's just part of farming.

The gun part, IMHO, as it stand right now (in our country) I do not feel the need to push weapons on people. If you feel comfortable with a gun, then yes, learn about it and how to care for it. DH has two hunting guns ( a rifle and a shot gun). I have no clue how to shot either, nor do I care to learn right now. If someone broke into my house the gun would not do either of us any good anyway. We keep it up high in our closet (DH is 6'2" and needs a step ladder) and we keep it unloaded with the ammo in the safe under our bed.

I think most of that list are things that do not need to be activly "taught", rather, stuff that can be learned by observation and just doing it. Learning to chart a womans ovulation cycle is not something I feel my son needs to learn either. Since he is not the women, therefore can not see the "signs", and not all women ovulate on a regular schedule. It is completly normal to have a weird month or two. It would be a surprie if he were charting and got the dayys wrong,lol!!! It is important for girls and women to learn to chart though. Not only for a more natural BC option, but you can also get a heads up if something is wrong in your body.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Lol, why those two? But you agree with "how to kill a chicken"? Those all kind of fit in a similar category in my book.

RheaF
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

We will teach gun safety (as they grow and are able to grasp it), and will teach them how to shoot if they want. However, if they don't want to learn, we will not make them. I simply have no desire to shoot either gun and have no reason too. Now I do know how to use the bows that we have, and hope to get a compound bow eventually, and my hunter's license. I think learning how to fend for yourself is a very valuble skill that many adults don't know anymore. 

I am not a prepper by any means, but if something ever did happen and we had to live off the land again...think of how many people would starve simply because they have no clue how to grow or hunt anything.  

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I can totally see your points here.  I thought the raising fish and animals was under the same 'skill' and I think knowing how to raise farm animals could be a good skill, even something simple like chickens.  Definitely teaching them how to fish is a great skill. 

I don't think pushing guns on people is a good answer either, but if they are in the home then it's perfectly natural IMO to learn how to care for them.

Quoting RheaF:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN