Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I dodnt have a store bought curriculum

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 22 Replies

I don't have a structured/ pre-made curriculum. I make my own. That been said, It change every month, based on my daughter learning.

Now i am thinking we are going slow because i keep on changing the curriculum.

Any one buy curriculum and made one of your own. Do u choose one or both each year?

Is pre-made store bought curriculum always good?

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't buy a boxed curric, but I do buy workbooks and such for each subject.  I have changed those up as needed.  You have to find what works best for your family.  Not all currics are equal for everyone. 

Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Up until November 2013, I was doing a totally self-assembled curriculum. We were doing Math Mammoth, Story of the World, and a few other things. Art, reading, phonics. All the important stuff. I'm not really good at that, though, apparently. My kids hated it, but I was trying to get a little more structure and make sure we covered the important stuff. I insisted we give the new schedule (last school year, we were following the school calendar and had almost no structure) a good run to see if we could make it work. We pretty much failed. Now we've switched to a new style, self-taught, just the basics, and it's working better. We're using the Robinson curriculum and it seems to be working better for us after just over a month than the other one did after three months. Once we've settled in, I'll start adding some of the other things that aren't included, like art and music, which I consider extremely important. Building things, especially for my son, who loves building things, but hates art and music.

So, I'd say that pre-made can be good, but not always. It really depends on you and your family. For us, we'll be doing about half pre-made curriculum (reading, writing and arithmetic) and half stuff we added (art, music, probably a foreign language, some kind of mechanical building type projects, that kind of thing). That provides us with the necessary structure, since I have organizational problems, and we have the freedom to add other things that we consider important, as well.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy pieces and make some.

We get a premade math and usually reading program, sometimes spelling. But I make my own history, science and lit.
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You said that you make your own. You mean the actual lesson plans and assignments/activities, are made by you?

You said you change it based on your daughters learning. I am not sure that I exactly know what you mean. Are you changing it due to content or what? 

If you are progressing forward, how are you judging that it is too slow? It would seem that a monthly progression of change would indicate a steady and good rate of speed. 

I buy materials for each subject and then I search for additional activities to cement those skills. It would be too time consuming for me to completely invent a curriculum for my kids. I am not trained or gifted enough to do so. Plus, I work a ft job on top of being a mom and teacher for my kids.

Store bought curriculums are usually decent. Though everyone has their own prejudices and standards. So it is good to have a diverse market of materials out there. You kind of have to get a feel for your family and what they need vs what all is offered.

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I do a little 0f both. Math is a combination, history is all my own, English is a combination, science is also a combination but mostly my own. I prefer a living book approach.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I make my own curriculum and it definitely changes many times throughout the year. This keeps the kids interested - they don't have time to get bored. As long as they are learning and progressing, then I'm happy. I am not too concerned with 'speed'

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Nope. I make my own curiculum (if you can call it that,lol) too.

We do a lot of educational shows (science and history), lots of library books, Life of Fred for math along with everyday math, and loads of creative reading and writing.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM

How do you do history? That's one subject that I'm having trouble getting ds to take an interest in.

Quoting jen2150: I do a little 0f both. Math is a combination, history is all my own, English is a combination, science is also a combination but mostly my own. I prefer a living book approach.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
We pick something to focus on. This year we are doing US history. We are focusing on lewis and clark. I also find history books that are interesting. My son just got a book he loves on the boy who invented the TV. I also pick a large ptoject. This year we are doing a huge map. I am also using books that talk about American Indian history and culture. We focus on books and biographies. Any things that your son is really into? If he is into science you could study Ben Franklin. Couple of years ago we studied the history and physics of flight. Maybe find a cool book and then build fun projects around it. I also love using videos as well. I just found an awesome one on lewis and Clark

Quoting paganbaby:

How do you do history? That's one subject that I'm having trouble getting ds to take an interest in.

Quoting jen2150: I do a little 0f both. Math is a combination, history is all my own, English is a combination, science is also a combination but mostly my own. I prefer a living book approach.

letstalk747
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM

i make our own curriculum this works best for my Autistic son , some subject matter takes him way longer  and many go back to's

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN