Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Math facts and workbook

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am doing research for my daughter next year curriculum.

I never bought workbook for my daughter who is doing double digit addition/ subtraction now. Instead of workbook, we print sheets at home. We will be perfect when we practise more . If we buy work book, does the book is enough or do we have to print supplement sheets?

My question is " does math work book  has enough practise sheets for each math facts?"

If math workbook is all we need, please recommend me which one is best for 2nd grade level.

Thank you.

p.s pardon my english writing. No harsh comments pls.

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Most workbooks are enough.  It depends on what kind of math book you are looking for.  I liked Math Mammoth, but my son found it boring. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Workbooks from a full curriculum is usually enough, but not just the workbooks you can buy at Walmart (like the Summer Bridging Activities).  Those ones are supplements or for summer practice.

I like Math U See (I think Beta level would be the one you would want).  It's workbook is definately enough practice.

Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't yet seen a math workbook that had enough practice for my kids. We also tried using Math Mammoth and my kids hated that. We've switched to a math text (Saxon 5/4) for my 9-year-old son, and he likes that a lot better than Math Mammoth, even though he says it's tougher. I think most workbooks don't have enough practice, though, and I'd have to supplement with additional worksheets. Mathscore.com has a great worksheet generator that I've been using, for instance, and there are other free worksheet sites out there you can use.

julesjerry
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM

How about singaporemath --- is it good one?

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Singapore Math is very good, but it's very advanced. If your child is at 'average' grade level, you will need to buy 1 grade level lower (buy 1A level for a 2nd grader). If your child is advanced, they may be able to work at grade level in Singapore. I believe there are placement tests online you can take to see what level you'd need.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Saxon math. It is a good program for my kids. There are worksheets to do, and there is a lesson book for me to know what to say and do each day. There are also a lot of manipulatives (balance, ruler, small teddy bears, linking cubes, pattern shapes, etc) that you use throughout the year, so that helps if your child is a hands-on learner.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think one workbook would be enough, unless your child memorized really well.

I know target sometimes has workbooks that practice math facts in their $1 section. They had them in August/September & seemed like a good supplement for a bigger kid (my son is 2.5 & doesn't do workbooks yet)
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We had tried Teaching Textbooks and Math U See but my kids felt it was too slow for them (these are usually recommended for kids who struggle with math). We tried Saxon - while I found it redundant, my kids did fine with it. Singapore and Math Mammoth is where we ended up as the perfect combination - the kids love the pace. Where Singapore lacks in practice, Math Mammoth more than makes up for it. 

I add in math activities, projects, and interactive math journals.

** Added note - We have a few homeschool stores around here and they allow the child to "try out" the curriculum for a bit. This is how I went about finding the right curriculum for us. 

Quoting julesjerry:

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM

We use "Math In Focus - The Singapore Approach" and love it.  I have the hard text and workbook.  I bought the text used from Amazon.  There is a great amount of practice in the text itself, along with some games and loads of directions.  The workbook reinforces the text, but I don't usually have my girls do every single problem unless they need the practice.

Quoting julesjerry:

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been hearing excellent things about Math In Focus.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We use "Math In Focus - The Singapore Approach" and love it.  I have the hard text and workbook.  I bought the text used from Amazon.  There is a great amount of practice in the text itself, along with some games and loads of directions.  The workbook reinforces the text, but I don't usually have my girls do every single problem unless they need the practice.

Quoting julesjerry:

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)