Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I shouldn't have worried.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM
  • 21 Replies
7 moms liked this

We took the month of December off, and now that it is all over I can finally say that I worried over nothing!  People at home had me so concerned that I was doing the wrong thing.  My father (bless him) was appalled that I was taking a month off.  When we talked about it, I reminded him that Public Schools take off months in the summer and we had only taken a few weeks.  What he said next, kept haunting me.  He said that that was true but that the textbooks and all that have reviews of the last year set up at the beginning.  He reminded me all of that about Brain Drain and how much ground we could lose and that there wasn't a set review right where I needed it.

So this morning, with that worry gnawing at the back of my mind, I started out with my middle boy's sight words, then the last review sheet from his last math chapter, and finally reading the next phonics book in his set.  And you know what?  He hadn't lost a step!  Same thing for my oldest!  Woohoo!

Okay, Okay it wasn't all sunshine and roses.  my youngest confused the same beginning sounds and rhyming.  And then he confused his b, d, p, and q.  But he is only 5, and he wouldn't even be in kindergarten yet.

I worried my way through December for NOTHING!  LOL!  

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad to here that your little ones have proven all the naysayers wrong!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Thank you!  I shouldn't have let all that in, I should have more faith in my guys!  :-)

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Thank you!  I shouldn't have let all that in, I should have more faith in my guys!  :-)

Your welcome! Don't feel to bad about it, as homeschoolers we are already going against the norm. So to have your family & friends put things like that in your head it makes it that much harder to keep the faith in our children ability to learn & thrive.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:55 PM
That sounds like an awesome day to me!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Your welcome! Don't feel to bad about it, as homeschoolers we are already going against the norm. So to have your family & friends put things like that in your head it makes it that much harder to keep the faith in our children ability to learn & thrive.

Very true.  It is easy to get caught up in the negative.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Quoting debramommyof4: That sounds like an awesome day to me!

It was awesome!  But I try to keep the reality check, that there are still a few bumps along the way.  Without the bad, how could we truly appreciate the good?

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM
We have bumps and knocks but it all works out! Sometimes the bumps and knocks are the best part.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It was awesome!  But I try to keep the reality check, that there are still a few bumps along the way.  Without the bad, how could we truly appreciate the good?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Too true!

Quoting debramommyof4: We have bumps and knocks but it all works out! Sometimes the bumps and knocks are the best part.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM

You know your little guy better than anyone but when people get into your head you can start to doubt your mom's intuition!  No need to doubt it in the future!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)